Breakaway - cruising New Year's alone, would you do it?

Monnom

My boyfriend and I love doing sharing tables at dinner, we've met some of the best people ever! However, we've not had any luck on NCL I believe due to they have so many restaurant choices. However, they do have the single meetups. Hopefully, you'll find some others on here to connect with prior to.

That's a shame that you haven't had luck with NCL :(

I've joined the roll call for the sailing, but it seems that the action is taking place on the FB roll call. I don't have FB, so I'm SOL there. But, with all the solos, hopefully I can connect with some fun people to eat and drink and dance with. If not, well.... I'm still gonna eat, drink, and dance ;p

Thanks for replying

Hiya Lilly... I most certainly did! ;) It's black and silver and sparkly and makes me feel happy. Thanks for asking. I ordered 3 and fell in love with one of them. [emoji813]eyes: One came with half a pocket sewed closed and the guy I talked with on the phone told me that they sometimes do that for shipping for it to lay flat, and that I'm supposed to take the stitching out myself. :o Errrrr, excuse me? I have never seen a pocket half sewn closed on anything and then was expected to fix it myself. The third was just meh, so I returned two and will take the black and silver with me. :D

That sounds perfect 😊

I hate these sewn pockets, too as i am very untalented fixing these things lol

Did you start packing already or have a list or are you a "just throw in the night before" kind of woman? 😉

That sounds perfect 😊

I hate these sewn pockets, too as i am very untalented fixing these things lol

Did you start packing already or have a list or are you a "just throw in the night before" kind of woman? 😉

I can't believe in all my years I've never once seen that... and yet, it sounds quite common for others. Believe me, I've done a lot of damage in the ladies' stores/departments over the years and have never encountered that. And yeah, I can't sew or 'unsew' (new word) to save my life.

I haven't started packing yet, but will this weekend... I need to start putting in the things that are important, but I might forget. Like a magnifying mirror so I can put on my makeup. I can't see up close very well, so it's a must have!

So many really nice people have taken an interest in this thread and my travelling alone... wish I could take all of you with me. I think the cruise might actually be sold out now. I was surprised that it wasn't when I booked last month.

Thanks for asking and taking an interest in my solo journey. :D:cool:

• 7 months later...

It's been a while since I've visited this thread... mostly because of all the controversy our sailing had. I do not want to get into a war of words with some anonymous person on here who was not on the cruise.

I had started "chatting" with a lady from our sailing on cruise critic before we set sail. Her and I became fast friends and I met up with her and her friend for the sail away. I actually never felt like I was sailing solo because I had these two wonderful ladies with me the whole cruise. I guess I still don't know what it's like to sail alone LOL

The food was wonderful and the drinks were plentiful if you wanted them. I really shouldn't take the beverage package as it's wasted on me. I had two nights of slaying the dragon, but since I don't usually drink alcohol at home, it wasn't much fun the next day. :(

With the turn in weather being so bad, I spent the last few days mostly in my cabin not feeling 100%... I never got physically sick, but it was like being on a roller coaster non-stop.

The staff on board were so amazing and the shows were fun. But it being my 3rd NCL cruise that year, I realized that everything was the same. The menus, the shows, the music, the parties... it's time for a change, I think. I'm debating trying Royal or Carnival?

Being a single woman, travelling alone on a cruise ship, I never felt unsafe. I guess I like that about cruising solo. I never did get off the ship, as I predicted I wouldn't. It was so relaxing to have the thermal suites pass, though I could only use it for the first two thirds of the cruise. A lot of stuff closed down once the storm hit and I'm surprised that NCL didn't make the movies free since so many people were stuck in their cabins not feeling well. And those who were moving about didn't have a lot to do since so much was shut down.

Bottom line: would I do it again: yes, definitely. The solo cabin is very small, but doable for one person. I think I'd prefer an inside rather than the solo cabin though, but that's just my preference.

Sorry I didn't come right back and finish this. I did have some drinks for some people on here. Those mango drinks were to die for... YUM!

It's been a while since I've visited this thread... mostly because of all the controversy our sailing had. I do not want to get into a war of words with some anonymous person on here who was not on the cruise.

I had started "chatting" with a lady from our sailing on cruise critic before we set sail. Her and I became fast friends and I met up with her and her friend for the sail away. I actually never felt like I was sailing solo because I had these two wonderful ladies with me the whole cruise. I guess I still don't know what it's like to sail alone LOL

The food was wonderful and the drinks were plentiful if you wanted them. I really shouldn't take the beverage package as it's wasted on me. I had two nights of slaying the dragon, but since I don't usually drink alcohol at home, it wasn't much fun the next day. :(

With the turn in weather being so bad, I spent the last few days mostly in my cabin not feeling 100%... I never got physically sick, but it was like being on a roller coaster non-stop.

The staff on board were so amazing and the shows were fun. But it being my 3rd NCL cruise that year, I realized that everything was the same. The menus, the shows, the music, the parties... it's time for a change, I think. I'm debating trying Royal or Carnival?

Being a single woman, travelling alone on a cruise ship, I never felt unsafe. I guess I like that about cruising solo. I never did get off the ship, as I predicted I wouldn't. It was so relaxing to have the thermal suites pass, though I could only use it for the first two thirds of the cruise. A lot of stuff closed down once the storm hit and I'm surprised that NCL didn't make the movies free since so many people were stuck in their cabins not feeling well. And those who were moving about didn't have a lot to do since so much was shut down.

Bottom line: would I do it again: yes, definitely. The solo cabin is very small, but doable for one person. I think I'd prefer an inside rather than the solo cabin though, but that's just my preference.

Sorry I didn't come right back and finish this. I did have some drinks for some people on here. Those mango drinks were to die for... YUM!

I am a solo cruiser too. I agree with you on the size of the Studio cabin. I stayed in one on the Epic and Breakaway about 3 years ago. Since then, I have cruised in Insides, OV's and balconies. Lots more room. Furthermore, the regular rooms are sometimes cheaper that the Studio.

I am a solo cruiser too. I agree with you on the size of the Studio cabin. I stayed in one on the Epic and Breakaway about 3 years ago. Since then, I have cruised in Insides, OV's and balconies. Lots more room. Furthermore, the regular rooms are sometimes cheaper that the Studio.

Absolutely right there. So many times I see insides going for cheaper than studios. I also didn't like how I had to turn sideways to see the TV. Not usually a big deal on a cruise, but this one, I was confined to cabin for 2.5 days.

I am recently a "solo cruiser" having lost my DH and have never cruised in a Studio cabin or even an interior cabin so I'm a little hesitant as well. I've been very lucky to have met someone on the Roll Call or even on the embarkation day that keeps coming into my life while onboard the ship. We've ended up dining together and meeting up for events too, it's really be great.

I just don't know if I could do an interior or especially a Studio since I've always been lucky enough to have a Balcony or better.

I do agree that I've never felt threatened or unsafe while on an NCL cruise which is why I will likely choose a cruise over a land tour if the prices are within certain limits.

I'm seriously debating booking a cruise for one out of New York for New Year's. I've never travelled anywhere alone before and I'm a little nervous about it. Would 'you' do it? I'm worried instead of being home alone this year, I'll be alone on a ship full of people :rolleyes:

I could never travel alone .However,if I were 20 years younger perhaps I would.

Glad to see you came back to fill us in.

Too bad there was controversy, how did that affect you?

Great to hear you met two other ladies to spend time with.

So sorry to hear you were in your cabin for the last few days that must have been not so great!

I’ve not been on NCL but have been on both Royal and Carnival but not solo. Both lines I enjoyed.

I am recently a "solo cruiser" having lost my DH and have never cruised in a Studio cabin or even an interior cabin so I'm a little hesitant as well. I've been very lucky to have met someone on the Roll Call or even on the embarkation day that keeps coming into my life while onboard the ship. We've ended up dining together and meeting up for events too, it's really be great.

I just don't know if I could do an interior or especially a Studio since I've always been lucky enough to have a Balcony or better.

I do agree that I've never felt threatened or unsafe while on an NCL cruise which is why I will likely choose a cruise over a land tour if the prices are within certain limits.

I'm so sorry for your loss :(

I've only done the studio once and agree it's great to have a balcony. I rarely spend much time there though and have decided to keep the extra money in my pocket to spend on my kid ;)

It is a nice way for single/solo females to travel. I've been to a lot of the ports and mostly just like to relax on the ship on port days.

Why does age make a difference? There are so many solo travellers these days that you get to meet some wonderful people and perhaps make a friend or two.

Glad to see you came back to fill us in.

Too bad there was controversy, how did that affect you?

Great to hear you met two other ladies to spend time with.

So sorry to hear you were in your cabin for the last few days that must have been not so great!

I’ve not been on NCL but have been on both Royal and Carnival but not solo. Both lines I enjoyed.

It was a hard couple of days getting back to NYC and even harder when so many people mocked how it affected some cruisers. I believe there's too much anonymous bullying on the internet (sad that, really) and that the world would be a better place if people were kinder and more tolerant.

I definitely need a break from NCL. I love it, but it's time for something new ;p

My husband and I have enjoyed many years together along with NEVER traveling without each other. Never any “girls trips” or “boys trips”, and we have been married for 48 years. We already have cruises booked for 2019 and 2020, the 2020 one for our 50th Anniversary. With all that said, I would be devastated to face life alone, without my love, but I would also never stop cruising and traveling. I will travel solo, or ask one of my 5 adult children to come along. I don’t intend to stop living.

When your choice is to travel alone or not to travel at all, then your perspective changes.

I expect to be travelling solo for many years to come.

I've met some amazing people on both of my NCL cruises, some of whom I hope to cross paths with again in the future.

When your choice is to travel alone or not to travel at all, then your perspective changes.

I expect to be travelling solo for many years to come.

I've met some amazing people on both of my NCL cruises, some of whom I hope to cross paths with again in the future.

Exactly how I feel. Life doesn’t stop when you’re suddenly alone. And I love traveling, and cruising, way too much to just stop because I’m now alone! Never happen!