Has Anyone Used a Bonded, Licensed Pet Sitter??

isujim

My wife and I always struggle with what to do with our two cats while we are gone. A fellow cruiser has suggested a bonded and licensed pet sitter.

Has anyone ever used one?? Were you pleased with the service?? Did you feel comfortable leaving your pets at home with someone coming in twice a day to look after them??

For those with pets you understand wanting to do what is best for your pets.

Any feedback from those who have used a service like this is appreciated.

Jim

Nordic Prince 8/88

Viking Serenade 3/93

Enchantment 3/01

Rhapsody 9/02

Splendour 4/03

Rhapsody, 9/03

Brilliance, 4/04

Until Our Caribbean Princess Cruise

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;11;06;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Until Hawaii on Inifinity

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=dc143c&cdt=2005;4;6;23;59;00&timezone=GMT-1100

Until Vision/Mexican Riviera

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=4169e1&cdt=2005;10;23;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0800

Wow! Didn't even know there was such a thing! My two guys do really great on their own. I have the fancy timed dishes for water and food (otherwise they will eat themselves even fatter than they already are). I also have several litterboxes, which I prepare before I leave. I then just have to find someone to come in regularly to make sure they're OK and change the box.

I have a friend who boards her cats at a place where they have their own personal space with toys, climbing posts, etc. I've gone to visit them when she was gone, and her guys seem to love it.

Good luck on your quest. I will be fascinated by the outcome. Donia

"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort."

We also have two cats and since we travel and love to cruise we had to decide what to do with the cats. We have used licensed bonded pet sitters and that was the very best thing we could do for the cats. They were happy at home and the pet sitters were wonderful. We have moved several times and used different people and all were great.

What you should do it talk to neighbors or friends to see if they have one that they would recommend. Your Vet is a good source also. Have them come to your home and interview. A good pet sitter will have a written folder and ask you questions about your cat and your needs. You will basically have a written agreement as to what is to be done and how much time you want them to spend with your cats. Many of these services also water your plants and take in mail if you want that. Often times the pet sitters are retired people or housewifes and are animal lovers. All in all, just do your homework on who you chose and who you will feel comfortable in coming into your home. Cost varied but it was much less then a kennel. Plus no exposure to fleas and other animals with a pet sitter.

Carnival Legend 12/05/04

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=8b0000&cdt=2004;12;05;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

hounds3.gif

Caribbean Princess 09/17/05

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=8b0000&cdt=2005;09;17;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Veendam 11/26/05

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=8b0000&cdt=2005;11;26;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Do you have a neighborhood kid that you consider responsible and you know his parents.

My grandson feeds fish, waters plants, feeds cats, etc. for a few people in the neighborhood we live in. I will tell you tho - he probably would not change a litterbox. icon_eek.gif Believe it or not he gets $15 for a weekend (including long weekends) and $35 for a week. His parents do make sure he acts responsibly with this little summer job, so that is why I think it important that you know the parents.

Oh yes, he does spend some time with the cats, patting, etc. Not the fish tho - they just get fed icon_biggrin.gif

Grand Princess 4/4/04

We have 3 cats and 2 dogs. No one tells you that when your 14 yr old says I will take them with me when I leave home that it is a BIG LIE! Seriously, I have a girl that works for me stay at our house. "the girls" just love her and my house is not empty for 2 weeks. She stacks my mail and papers and takes care of the gang. It works best for us.

Judy

Cruisin in July on the Golden Princess

I used one quite a while ago for my cat and found it very satisfactory. The sitter came to visit beforehand so we could interview him and he us. Now that we have dogs, we have managed to find sitters who stay in our house while we are away. If you live near a college or university, there are often students who are happy to do it to earn some extra money. Also, check with your vet-- he or she probably can give you some recommendations.

Thanks for your quick replies.............

We are going to check this option out. I was hoping they would come for a personal interview.....not only are you leaving your pets with a pet sitter, but leaving them the keys to your house for a couple of weeks.

Sounds like everyone that has used one is quite satisfied with the service and results.

Jim

Nordic Prince 8/88

Viking Serenade 3/93

Enchantment 3/01

Rhapsody 9/02

Splendour 4/03

Rhapsody, 9/03

Brilliance, 4/04

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;11;06;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=dc143c&cdt=2005;4;6;23;59;00&timezone=GMT-1100

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=4169e1&cdt=2005;10;23;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0800

I suggest calling your vet's office or any vet and seeing if any of their vet techs or assistants do this. My daughter is a vet technician and she sits all the time for people who prefer to leave their animals in their home environment. These individuals are good with animals and medically trained so they can also deal with animals who require special meds or attention. I would insist upon an interview and would pick one with a stable work history & references. The last thing you want to do on a cruise is worry!!

Boomer Sooner!!!

Grand Princess 12/00

Rhapsody of the Seas 12/03

Grand Princess 11/8/04

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=dc143c&cdt=2004;11;08;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0600

Until we're on board the Grand again !!!

I am in the same boat with Torpeedo and Clipper.

Our cat, with whom we have a love/hate relationship, cost us $450 after a week at a kennel (dogs and cats) due to STRESS!!! Overnight at the vets and all....sigh...

So, since then, we hired a licensed pet sitter who does an awesome job. We have weaned the cat off of the litter box, so that isn't an issue, as he has a cat door. He is really independant but just needs food and a hello every day. The pet sitter would also take our trash out on trash day, get the mail, and turn on the sprinklers if needed. I was a little nervous about someone having a key, but he was super professional and does everything (statements) via email which I love, you can even pay by paypal! I also put the cat in a cat spa over Christmas because my family's dogs were here. He loved it and the place was great, definitely go beforehand to check things out. The pet sitter was $8/day coming once a day and the pet spa was $18/day food included. The pet sitter is the most convenient way to go! I would definitely ask a vet in the area for a recommendation though...

Yes, most definitely. We have a VERY social cat who loves people and it was a real struggle for me to leave her for 10 days last December for a cruise.

I found a great pet sitter, who came twice daily and did two overnight stays during our absence. I've used her again since for shorter trips. It's not cheap, but it's the ONLY option for us. I only wish I could have someone here full time when we're gone because she definitely misses us...but at least I know she is well taken care of, and there is someone here part of the time to play with her and give her the attention she needs.

I have 4 cats and have used a bonded, licensed pet sitter for years. She gives me the peace of mind that I need when I go away for more than a couple of days, particularly if I'm away on a long (2-week or longer) cruise.

Yes, she's more expensive than your neighborhood kid but should there ever be a problem, she knows exactly who to contact and what to do. She comes twice a day and writes a daily diary of which cat did what, who was friendly, who didn't show, etc.

My daughter did pet-sitting for friends many times and every single time, something happened or went wrong. For example, one friend had an outdoor cat and they left their garage door cracked open during the day so that the cat could get out of the weather until my daughter came in the evening. Wouldn't you know... the door mechanism broke with the cat inside and the door couldn't be opened. We had to arrange to get a garage door person to come, etc. My daughter finally had to tell people that she wasn't available to pet sit. The money wasn't worth the hassles she had to go through.

Song of Norway & Song of America, 1986-88; Royal Princess 2/99; Sun Princess 1/00; Ocean Princess 12/00; Royal Princess 4/01; Grand Princess 12/23/01; Sea Princess 2/9/02; Explorer of the Seas 12/21/02; Coral Princess 8/9/03; Nordic Empress 12/27/03; Regal Princess (4/20/04)

-- Caribbean Princess (12/26/04) -- Roll Call

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0099FF&cdt=2004;12;26;12;0;00&timezone=GMT-0800

-- Royal Princess (4/21/05) -- Roll Call

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0099FF&cdt=2005;04;21;12;0;00&timezone=GMT-0800

Some time ago I started a thread, "What do you do for your pets?" It got over a thousand hits and many good suggestions came from it, we hire a live in dogsitter because of our large group and for our own personal comfort knowing how they are being cared for and getting daily doggie update emails. This last cruise we even set up a webcam we could use to look in on them.

Life is at it's best when your address floats

One MORE open Booking(s).

<FONT color=red>Alaska</FONT>

Sapphire Princess 09/04

Diamond Princess 05/04 ~~ Mercury 06/02

Rhapsody o.t. Seas 05/98 ~~ Legend o.t. Seas 09/95

<FONT color=red>Mexican Riviera</FONT>

Diamond Princess 12/04

Diamond Princess 11/04 ~~ Diamond Princess 04/04

Sea Princess 01/02 ~~ Vision o.t. Seas 04/02<FONT color=red>

West Coast-Baja Mexico</FONT>

Ecstacy 09/01

<FONT color=red>Eastern Carribean</FONT>

Century 12/97

<FONT color=red>Western Carribean</FONT>

Century 9/96

Just a thank you to all that replied. I'm calling in the morning an area pet sitter and setting up a meeting........it was good to hear that not one that has used a pet sitter has had a bad experience.

Thanks again.

Jim

Nordic Prince 8/88

Viking Serenade 3/93

Enchantment 3/01

Rhapsody 9/02

Splendour 4/03

Rhapsody, 9/03

Brilliance, 4/04

I found my licensed/bonded pet-sitter through my vet. She works at a large pet store here, and wanted to meet with me in my home to meet Good Kitty and Bad Kitty, check the place out for litter box location, where the food was kept, where the carpet cleaner and cleaning rag were for hairball urpies, etc. She also had a form I had to get the vet to fill out about their recent immunizations, how to contact me, vet info., etc. The last time I used her, she charged $11.00 a day to come over once a day. I started using her about five years ago, and no problems at all! My brother recently moved here, so he comes over now and cat-and-house sits.

These are all great replies. I have a cousin who used a sitter for her two and had a slight (she didn't show up for the last 2 days) problem but I believe that is unusual. I have talked with several "pro's" and would be fine leaving the cats and house with them. For now, a good friend of our daughters lives about a mile from us and she/husband are saving for a house. Melissa has taken care of things for us these last two cruises and we always overpay her LOL.

NOW, if any of you think I am out of line, please click on my photo link and take a look at the "House Cats" album.....srphnx....a pet-cam?? THAT has got to take the prize for the most neurotic pet person on CC icon_biggrin.gif.....of course I never thought of that....shure I haven't.

Star Princess 9/03 Alaska

Celebrity Mercury 3/04 Mexico

Next: Sapphire Princess 10/2/04 Mexico

Celebrity Infinity 5/28/05 Alaska

Mercury Cruise 3/13/04 & Amtrak Train trip 4/04 Pic's

http://community.webshots.com/user/catmand100

Catmand - Loved your cats! I have a couple of guys who look just like Tippy and Einstein - except that they're huge - 15-16 lbs. and not terribly fat. If your neighbor takes care of that many cats, you may not be overpaying her!

Donia

"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort."

Yep, thought her business name was so great...."Furry Godmother"! She was actually taking care of my new puppy midday when we were crate/housetraining him and I couldn't get home from work. She charged $13/trip & would care for an extra pet for an add'l $2. Recently, we hired a pet/housesitter that actually stayed in our home for $25/day. Took out trash, collected mail and cared for 3 dogs. He was a Ga. Tech college student home for the summer & wasn't getting enough hrs. at his part time job. Super responsible kid I met thru a family member. The dogs loved not having to be uprooted from their normal routine, and we liked the security of actually having someone staying in the house. I vote YES for a pet sitter.

Pet sitters are wonderful because they are professional, responisble, and love animals.

Last cruise I flew my mother in from Arizona to house/cat sit for me (she liked the free vacation) but the time before I hired a professional pet sitter mentioned to me by a neighbor who used her.

Charged $13 per visit, I had her come twice a day cause my babies are spoiled and like their fancy feast for breakfast and dinner.

This cruise I asked a co-worker to stay at my house so she and hubby are moving in for a week.

I hate leaving the cats alone, I much prefer having someone stay with them. My cats are definitely people cats!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=008000&cdt=2004;7;17;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500 until the Caribbean Princess!

Sovereign of the Seas 8/98

Premier Seabreeze 4/99

Norwegian Wind 4/00

Norwegian Majesty 4/01

Holland America Volendam 11/01

Grand Princess 4/02

Carnival Fascination 5/02

Costa Atlantica 11/02

Golden Princess 3/03

Explorer of the Seas 7/03

Sun Princess 11/03

Caribbean Princess 07/04

Nov 04 Star or Coral...can't decide!

You guys have put most of my fears to rest..although doing something with your loved pets for the first time is always challenging. I have e-mailed a pet sitter in our area and have the ball rolling. For those of you that have used a pet sitter it looks like a 100% vote of confidence........not one bad experience!!

Jim

Nordic Prince 8/88

Viking Serenade 3/93

Enchantment 3/01

Rhapsody 9/02

Splendour 4/03

Rhapsody, 9/03

Brilliance, 4/04

Just my two cents. We have three cats and one is a diabetic that needs an insulin shot once a day. We found a person at an animal clinic who would come after work to give the shot and feed the cats. I think she charged 20 dollars a day. But we love our Cats!!!!!

John

Millenium 11/03

Caribbean Princess countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=191970&cdt=2004;7;17;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

My sister uses a pet sitter for her two cats. Has used the same one on last three cruises. She is licensed and bonded. She did come for an interview. It is not cheap but my sister has complete peace of mind. she has been so impressed that she is thinking of doing pet sitting when she retires.

Carnival Spirit-Hawaii

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2003;10;6;13;0;00&timezone=GMT-1000

We use Critter Sitters for our "boys". We have had the same pet sitter for almost four years now. The boys are quite comfortable with her. As many have pointed out, the service is not cheap...but the peace of mind is "priceless". I have referred her to several of my neighbors, and everyone loves her. She does a great job. I had thought of asking a neighborhood teenager, but feel much more comfortable with an experienced sitter. The agency is licensed and bonded. We get a "report card" after every trip. She also points out any changes she notices in them. Both our "guys" are getting on in years, and a kennel would be too stressful for them. Since the sitter stays overnight, she doubles as a housesitter. It works out well for us.

Infinatics/Infinitinis To Hawaii and Beyond

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;12;5;21;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800

Sun Princess Eastern Caribbean

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=dc143c&cdt=2005;4;8;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Veendam Southern Caribbean

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=9400d3&cdt=2005;11;26;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Archived