Anyone been caught due to new wine/champagne policy

mared1

Valcat...your comparison make little sense to me as a 17 year old can still get drunk off of wine, beer, whiskey, etc. They all have alcohol in them and hence if you look at bringing hard liquor on board as taking from the cruise line or becoming a liability, then wine should be looked at in the same regard. Some people chill out and relax with wine or hard liquor; some people get boozed up and crazy on wine or hard liquor.

Valcat...your comparison make little sense to me as a 17 year old can still get drunk off of wine, beer, whiskey, etc. They all have alcohol in them and hence if you look at bringing hard liquor on board as taking from the cruise line or becoming a liability, then wine should be looked at in the same regard. Some people chill out and relax with wine or hard liquor; some people get boozed up and crazy on wine or hard liquor.

The wine policy is in place to allow affectionados to bring their favorite "fine" wines on board, a custom shared with many on-shore restaurants. Since your average security guy doesn't know the difference between vintage and vintnor, many are able to take advantage and bring any wine onboard. There is a reason the policy says "fine" wine, but to enforce it they would have to have a trained somolier inspect every bottle coming onboard - imagine how long that would take. Better all round just to let it go.

• 2 weeks later...
I just asked customer service this question on the phone the other night. Her response was "a reasonable amount" "to be determined at the descretion of security at embakation."

Do you think a box would be considered "fine wine"?

No. But did that last cruise with Carnival and it sure did travel well! No problems.

I just copied this from the CCL website - I did not locate anything regarding the quantity of bottles permitted (not that is does not exist, but was not easily found!)

(d) Except as noted below, Guests are prohibited from bringing alcoholic beverages on Carnival’s vessels for on board consumption. Prohibited alcoholic beverages confiscated on embarkation day will be discarded without compensation. Guests who are celebrating a special occasion are permitted to bring fine wine or champagne (no other alcohol is permitted) at the beginning of the cruise during embarkation day only. A $10 corkage fee will be charged should guests wish to consume this wine/champagne in the dining room. Alcoholic beverages purchased in the vessel’s gift shops or at a port of call will be retained by Carnival until the end of the voyage. Carnival reserves the right to refuse to serve alcohol to any passenger. Guest acknowledges that the minimum age permitted for the purchase, possession or consumption of alcoholic beverages aboard Carnival’s vessels is twenty-one (21). Guest agrees to supervise all persons under age twenty-one (21) under Guest’s charge to insure that they do not violate this, or any other, shipboard regulation. Guests who attempt to purchase alcohol by using false identification or the Sail & Sign card of a Guest who is twenty-one or older will be deemed in violation of this policy. Any Guest twenty-one or older who attempts to or purchases alcohol for any guest under twenty-one will also be deemed in violation of this policy. Guest agrees that Carnival has the right to disembark any guest who violates this policy and as well as any adults traveling with minors who violate this policy or any other shipboard regulation.

Tom

you only have to be 18 to drink while at sea correct?

I got my documents yesterday and it clearly states only 1 bottle of wine or champagne. this is supposed to take place starting this year.. so people over the christmas holiday it wasnt in place.

Has any one sailed this year...and had it taken?

It also states a small quanity of non-alcoholci beverages... Well--one persons small quainty may be a another persons daily consumption.

This is determined by the security at each port.

I received my documents last week for our 2/4/06 cruise and they do NOT state anything about a ONE bottle limit. The documents say "...wine enthusiasts may bring fine wine or champagne on board only during embarkation at the beginning of the cruise." It states later in the paragraph that "excessive quantities" could be confiscated. In Miami we will be bringing onboard two bottles of wine and a bottle of champagne in our carryon, small bottle of scotch for hubby in checked luggage.

FrannyK

Costa Riviera 1985

NCL Seaward 1987

Carnival: Fantasy 1/2000

Sensation 2/2001

Imagination 1/2002

RCI Explorer 6/2002

RCI Monarch 4/2003

Sensation 2/2004

Imagination 2/2006

FrannyK--sounds like they are giving both copies of that..you got the older one I got the newer one. The Liberty is a newer ship and maybe gonna be real tight with this rule?

I wonder how much water they will allow people to carry on.?

I don't know where these people keep coming up with the 1 bottle rule. My docs say wine enthussiatics may bring fine wine or champane on board. There is no metion of limit. Last time I brought a 12 pack of soda on board with not problem. This time I will bring a case plus some wine and champane.:)

O.K. I get it, the policy does not state an exact quantity of wine allowed, but if you ask questions (FAQ) they are going to tell you that only 1 bottle is permitted. Duhhhh, I'm not asking questions. I read the policy!:rolleyes:

Would that be per cabin or per person?

Our cruise documents for Miracle (January 29, 06) state the same as Franny K has written above, but in the Welcome Aboard book ( that came with the documents) on pages 26 - 27 it states "Guests are prohibited from bringing alcoholic beverages on board. However, if celebrating a special occasion while on board, one bottle of fine wine or champagne may be brought on board only during embarkation at the beginning of the cruise" It is very confusing!!!! :confused:

That's weird Serene-we got our docs today, and the first thing DBF did was check out the Welcome Aboard brochure. Ours is the old copy-it does not say only 'one' bottle.

Maybe they're just getting all the old stock out?

We got out docs for Liberty and they have the one bottle rule in them... on the back of the Welcome Aboard booklet there is a date in the bottom left-hand corner (11/05). DANG! Well, I have 2 roommates, so I guess we can take 3 bottles of champagne with us!

I looked at my cruise documents only-- I never thought to check the Welcome Aboard booklet! It does say ONE bottle!!! Since my documents don't stipulate one bottle, we will still bring three (red, white and champagne) and I'll let you know what happens in Miami 2/4/06. I'm crossing my fingers.

FrannyK

Costa Riviera 1985

NCL Seaward 1987

Carnival: Fantasy 1/2000

Sensation 2/2001

Imagination 1/2002

RCI Explorer 6/2002

RCI Monarch 4/2003

Sensation 2/2004

Imagination 2/2006

As a shareholder (owner) of Carnival, I have every right to question how "others" are violating their cruise contract. If I accept your position, it is clear that anything other than wine or champagne is clearly forbidden. Yet, innumerable posts on this website encourage people to fill Listerine or soda bottles with liquor. How do you justify a clear violation of the contract?

Spoken like a true New Yorker!!

Archived