Antarctica Live On Board

galeforce9

Well done The Quest for going south of the line.

I had to laugh yesterday - on the expedition team's blog Kirstie Yeagar wrote "We find peace and solitude within the silence of a consuming fog" which is a fancy way of saying, "Damn and blast I can't see a bloody thing."

I have begun posting up photos from my Quest trip . . .

https://www.flickr.com/photos/up70mm/

South of the Antarctic Circle! How wonderful! We could not go so far south on the last Quest cruise due to the thickness of the ice.

I trust you are finding that the expedition group, Capt Larsen and CD Jan are doing a superb job with all of the organization. What terrific bunch of professionals.

Happy and healthy sailing!

The staff are truly exceptional.

Well done The Quest for going south of the line.

I had to laugh yesterday - on the expedition team's blog Kirstie Yeagar wrote "We find peace and solitude within the silence of a consuming fog" which is a fancy way of saying, "Damn and blast I can't see a bloody thing."

Woke up today to look out of our veranda at unimaginably large iceberg. We were so close!

First zodiac tour group went out ok. Second had to be brought back because of swells. Some had to wait 90 min in freezing cold before conditions allowed their retrieval. Rest of zodiac groups cancelled.

Thanks for posting that link, Galeforce. I would like to upload the Cruise 2 (Holiday) video but my internet speed won't allow me to do it. I have to say, the video of the first of this year's Antarctica cruises is in a different league to the one taken on my voyage. Cruise One is a truly professional job with some BBC/Blue Planet-worthy imagery. The video taken on my cruise was done by a different and rather inexperienced couple who had not been to the region before. I'm someone will upload it eventually. The use of drones has totally transformed this kind of work.

I see the Quest is currently in the Drake.

The first annual Drake Open putting contest was cancelled today, presumably by Risk Managment. Three of us had an impromptu shuffleboard tournament in cold, windy, and rocky conditions. Three slip and falls occurred, but with no loss of limb or life.

The first annual Drake Open putting contest was cancelled today, presumably by Risk Managment. Three of us had an impromptu shuffleboard tournament in cold, windy, and rocky conditions. Three slip and falls occurred, but with no loss of limb or life.

You were lucky, we weren't allowed out on deck when we crossed the Drake (in a Force 10+ breeze);)

The video taken on my cruise was done by a different and rather inexperienced couple who had not been to the region before. I'm someone will upload it eventually. The use of drones has totally transformed this kind of work.

Not having their finished video, I can’t comment on their technical skills, but the couple is using drones for part of the video.

The couple have been very helpful with photography lectures and impromptu questions. Yesterday, Colin spent an hour with me, giving me a private tutorial on the use of photo processing software. Priceless.

notjaded - Deciphering the Seabornspeak of the blogteam, I guess you had a fairly choppy experience of the Drake . . .

That blog speak is also replicated, sometimes in whole paragraphs, on the national geographic / linblad Antarctica blog... not sure which came first...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

notjaded - Deciphering the Seabornspeak of the blogteam, I guess you had a fairly choppy experience of the Drake . . .

Actually, it was neither Drake Lake nor a savage experience. It just challenged the adventurers of the age who think of golf and shuffleboard in the same sentence as “fun.”

Golf tournament today while in the approach channel to Ushuaia. Winner was a lady who sported a game face that would strike fear in Tiger.

Can someone who has been on the holiday cruise upload the official film to you tube and post a link please? I would love to see it. Here is the film from the first one in case anyone missed it

Found this - I believe it’s what you are looking for...

Sent from my iPad using Forums

That’s brilliant thanks CruiseZen. Will watch tonight. Now we just need someone to post from the last cruises in the season when they’re completed.

My pleasure. We sail on the Feb 3rd departure. I’ll plan to post unless someone beats me to it. I’ll also try to update from time to time while onboard the good ship Quest.

My pleasure. We sail on the Feb 3rd departure. I’ll plan to post unless someone beats me to it. I’ll also try to update from time to time while onboard the good ship Quest.

Wishing you Bon Voyage and already looking forward to your posts!

The first annual Magellan Passage Open was held today. Participants included the three who rose (or fell) to the Drake Open.

The wind became fierce and waves started rocking the ship, meeting he challenge promised by the Captain at his Noon briefing.

Happy to report that no one fell. Pleased to announce that early play produced three holes in one on a 20 ft hole. Sad to report that play was suspended as increasingly harrowing conditions resulted in balls not staying at rest.

Any news about yesterday's excursion to the Torres del Paine park? Always a risk with the weather and visibility.

We were scheduled on this excursion , but had to cancel last minute. We were fortunate that there was a long waitlist, so they found replacements.

Punta Arenas was extremely windy all day, and returning passenger comments that I overheard focused on the rough/harrowing plane ride and the very long bus ride. That was all I heard. Will report back more if I hear additional commentary.

Note: last nights/this mornings voyage had the ship buffetted by waves. Much worse than Drake crossing.

We have been to Torres del Paine twice. The last time was when we were on the Quest.

Had an excellent day trip on both occasions. Quite windy but dry with some sunshine.

A long trip but worth doing.

Snap. We’ve stayed for 4 days and 6 days at explora. It is very common to have strong summer winds. In September (early season) the mountains were shrouded for 4 days out of 6.