Antarctica Live On Board

galeforce9

Beautiful glacier viewing this morning in a light drizzle en route to Punta arenas. The drizzle and low ceilings makes the views more magical. Temps around 42 degrees. I have never posted photos on cc. I may try later

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Some challenging swells on Wednesday made for some excitement with items falling Captain altered course into protected fjord so guests could enjoy smooth sailing during dinner and the evenings entertainment. Yesterday’s Herald below...

d0ee70bb77eb8d0cb20c6eec79a8c879.jpg9229de2ed685a3e866f2ec63f417daee.jpg

Ushuaia cancelled - high winds Quest not enough power to get along side dock - zodiacs being lowered for crew change and equipment needed for Antarctica disappointing but safety first It is a beautiful day here sun shining and fresh snow on the mountain tops

Hi CruiseZen, I’d love to ask you a question/favor offline. We did the same Feb cruise last year - it was amazing!!! Would you mind communicating with me in email?

JohnUNDERSCOREhopkinsATsweetwaterDOTcom

Using CAPS to possibly fool the spambots scraping public sites <G>

Thanks!

John

This how the glacier looked on Christmas Day - this was an early highlight of the trip.

39838744291_73a45c6666_c.jpgChilean Patagonia by UltraPanavision, on Flickr

I am just finding time the last couple days to catch up on this now completed trip. Fletcher, you are truly a five-star photographer! DH travels primarily to take interesting pictures. He and I spent a good part of last evening after work sipping wine on the sofa and I showed him your Flickr collection of photos from this trip, so many of which are hauntingly beautiful and dramatic (though we also smiled at the picture of the Europa 2 ship passing by with guests in bathrobes on the balcony).

He studied the technical specs on quite a few of them in detail to figure out if what he thought you had done to produce a certain effect had indeed been done, commented and made suggestions to me and gave explanations (I just do simple iphoneplus piccies). It was great fun.

I hope you continue posting, and anyone who has not checked out these pictures can just click on this photo and it will take them to Fletcher’s Flickr site UltraPanavision, a real treat, there are a few dozen pictures from this trip.

Thank you Catlover for your kind comments. I'm posting up about 3 photos per day and have just reached the Lemaire Channel.

The current cruise sounds a bit hairy . . . best wishes for the Drake. One advantage of the high winds and heavy seas is the wildlife. We had hardly any wind and the seabirds were almost invisible.

Ushuaia cancelled - high winds Quest not enough power to get along side dock - zodiacs being lowered for crew change and equipment needed for Antarctica disappointing but safety first It is a beautiful day here sun shining and fresh snow on the mountain tops

On the last voyage, winds were so bad that guests were instructed to walk in the middle of the long dock, for fear of being pushed overboard.

What did the ship do with all the extra time? Were you able to visit anyplace not normally on the itin?

Glorious experience. So impressed with the skill and efficiency of the expedition team. WArm today. No layers. No hat. No gloves. Weather fabulous. Penguins everywhere

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Enjoy your cruise Bob....

We are at 66 degrees. Passed the arctic circle. Captain just announced we are further south than any seabourn ship has ever gone. Scenery amazing of course. Going to be cold in those zodiacs today

We are at 66 degrees. Passed the arctic circle. Captain just announced we are further south than any seabourn ship has ever gone. Scenery amazing of course. Going to be cold in those zodiacs today

Oops. Antarctic circle.

I have tried to post photos with no success. Using full format camera so photos too large. Perhaps cruzezen van post

Captain seemed incredibly excited this morning. We have set a record. We have travelled farther south than any cruise ship has ever gone. Today was zodiac rides. Incredible ice. A few seals. Amazingly it’s around 34 Fahrenheit.