Has anyone used italytours.eu recently? Looking for recommendations

angelik

On 9/17/2023 at 4:19 PM, mapleleaves said:

So your tour didn't actually go into Positano? It only stopped at the overlook?

How long did you have in Sorrento and Pompeii ?

If it's not too late to help you - we used Italy Tours last week for the Sorrento, Pompeii, Positano tour. Positano was only a brief stop at the lookout; enough time to take pictures and make purchases. We knew that from the description and from the overview the guide gave at the start of the tour, so not a surprise. 

We had 2.5 hours in Pompeii (supposed to be 2 hours, but we went long) w/no time for souvenirs.

We had over 2 hours in Sorrento; could have had 3 but the group wanted to get on an earlier tender.

We paid our guide cash for the Pompeii skip-the-line tickets (she paid the guide).

Total tour time was scheduled for 8 hours - we got about 6.5 hours: short half hour due to group wanting to end early and the first hour waiting for everyone in the group to get off the tenders. 2 people never showed and about 30 min was spent waiting for them.

The guide did a really good job and the Pompeii guide was superb. We would definitely use them again.

Edited by Haljo1935
Additional comment

On 11/8/2023 at 1:08 PM, Alatraveler1 said:

Glad to hear the positive reviews and we are booked with them for end of May 2024 on NCL Epic.  Hope we get others to fill our Florence, Naples and Sicily stops.  I've posted on the roll call board and hope others will join.

You might also send them an email asking they add people to your group to get you to your number. They did that for us.

• Like 1

On 11/11/2023 at 7:49 PM, Haljo1935 said:

You might also send them an email asking they add people to your group to get you to your number. They did that for us.

They are supposed to work to fill themselves, either from your ship or another one docking at same time.  You probably knew that since you use them.  However you're right, a reminder/request to do so wouldn't hurt!  The excursions are a great value and almost exact to the ships but with many fewer people.

We used ItalyTours for a cruise excursion in Florence. Our driver was prompt, friendly, drove a very nice Mercedes van, and shared information about the general area on our way to Florence,stopping for a premier photo op on the way. Then she dropped us off to meet our actual guide. The tour was not rushed. Only 6 persons - so we could ask questions easily. she left about an hour for free time before we met again with our driver for the return home. Be sure to save your initial confirmation email as it contains all the information you will need to meet up from the ship (they meet you right at the port). I would definitely recommend, particularly due to the cost comparison!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cruisemom42 said:

Oh, I hate when that happens!  🤬

In fairness, people not part of ship excursions kept arriving on the tenders and they wanted to be sure the 2 people weren't among them. But at some point (sooner than we experienced), it's time to move on. Especially given their T&C clearly state they will not keep a group waiting for a few and that the 2 people didn't respond to calls, texts or emails.

We did enjoy the tour and are glad we did it and would use them again.

• 2 weeks later...

Took a tour with this company, italytours.eu on October 26, 2023.  Tour was Florence and Pisa.  The tour guide was informative and pleasant for the day.  It was a great day and we loved the tour itself.  Dealing with italytours was seamless and responses were timely. I would recommend them highly.

My husband and I and friends took a Viking cruise a few weeks ago (November 2023) called the iconic Western Mediterranean. We were in Livorno port for two days and the second of the two, we wanted to go to Florence. I came across ItalyTours while looking at options besides the Viking excursions. I liked what I saw: opportunity for a very small group and a guide, a good price. I began email communications, and was very pleased with the responses. Being our first trip to Europe and on a cruise, I was a little nervous about the fact that our ship would set sail out of port at 6 PM. Multiple communications (I’m a pain in the you-know-where) with Ria, Rachele and Cristina all assured me there would be no problem, and with tailor our excursion to begin earlier in the morning. After booking and paying, we received a lengthy, extremely detailed message regarding meeting times, communications etc. could not be more thorough and very reassuring… well long story short, we could not have been happier with our choice to tour with this company!
 As we were told, we were met at the dock right on schedule. In fact, as we stepped out of the door of the ship, my husband saw the sign with my name. 
We were six people in a clean, comfy Mercedes van with a lovely driver named Simona. She was more than a driver, pointing out so many different things along the way, explaining. Her English was perfect, and her Italian accent was delightful. She was a significantly lovely part of our adventure. We had been told we would meet our guide in Florence who would take us on a walking tour, and get us to the Academie to see the original sculpture of David… so we were met by Virginia, who was also lovely and delightful, and she did more than get us there; she ushered us in past the line, pointed out where the restrooms were, and set up a meeting time. When we were done there, we continued with her on our delightful walk through parts of the city, through the Uffizzi gallerie, the Ponte Vecchio bridge, and other amazing wonders. She took us to the Piazza and pointed out where we would meet up with Simona later on. We had a perfect few hours to roam out on our own, and had delightful lunch at Osteria Del Porcellino. Simona was parked exactly where Virginia said she would be …well before our appointed time and we were happy to patiently wait for the others to arrive back as it had started raining heavily. We had a delightful ride back to the ship that included seeing a double rainbow, and more pleasant conversation with our driver and information… it was perfect day and we were back on the ship at 4 PM. Thank you Italy Tours; we will always recommend you very highly!! 

On 11/28/2023 at 11:29 AM, REV_Cruiser said:

Took a tour with this company, italytours.eu on October 26, 2023.  Tour was Florence and Pisa.  The tour guide was informative and pleasant for the day.  It was a great day and we loved the tour itself.  Dealing with italytours was seamless and responses were timely. I would recommend them highly.

Doing this one on the EPIC in May and hoping our tour fills up, we only need 3-4 more passengers!

• 1 month later...

We had a shore excursion from the port of Livorno to Florence and Pisa for six family members with Italy tours.eu in December 2023. 

We had a marvelous time on this shore excursion!  Our driver, Diego, was wonderful!  He was an excellent driver, entertaining, informative and very helpful.  My husband had some mobility issues and Diego always made certain my husband was accommodated.  We loved Diego!

The tour guide in Florence was excellent.  In spite of the inclement weather, lots of rain, she made Florence come alive for us.  The visit to Accademia was fantastic!  There were few of us in the area  around Michelangelo’s  David so our guide did a 360 degree explanation of the impressive sculpture.  She noted that it is rare to be able to see David’s backside!  What a view!

Our guide directed us to more sights before she left us and suggested a nice cafe where my husband could settle in while the rest of us wandered around Florence.  He thoroughly enjoyed people watching as well as drinking expressos!  

Diego gave us many interesting facts about Pisa and the leaning tower on the drive to the famous landmark.  Diego was able to get us very close to the tower and told my husband about a cafe where he could still see the view but not walk.  The rest of us wandered around the site to view the tower from all sides. 

All too soon it was time for the return trip to the ship.  Diego shared so much more about Livorno and Tuscany during the drive.  He had us laughing uproariously when he told us stories.  Everyone of us were sorry we had to leave Diego at the side of the ship.  What a driver and guide - he’s one in a million!
  • Like 2

I note that most review of Italy Tours has been positive, so reached out to them last Saturday Jan. 6th to book, sent follow up email today Tuesday Jan 9th. My travelling  companion also sent them an email earlier today. Yes we are aware of the time difference.  No response whatsoever .   Been trying to book 2 tours with them, but may have to go elsewhere if we do not get a response from them soon.  Is it normal for this slow of a response?

Edited by Canadiankaratemom

With record number of travelers going to Europe I would wait a few days to hear from them.  Unless it is a private tour they have to check the ship, the date and see if a group has already been started for that particular excursion. If there isn't one they usually reply that they will start a group and let you know when the minimum reservations have occurred. I have only used them for shared excursions and I don't know what the procedure is for booking a private tour. 

It may also depend on when you are sailing. They may still be having staffing problems or lack of tour guides in all of their ports. There is a lot of follow up closer to your sailing once booked. Hope this helps.

30 minutes ago, hoopslover said:

With record number of travelers going to Europe I would wait a few days to hear from them.  Unless it is a private tour they have to check the ship, the date and see if a group has already been started for that particular excursion. If there isn't one they usually reply that they will start a group and let you know when the minimum reservations have occurred. I have only used them for shared excursions and I don't know what the procedure is for booking a private tour. 

It may also depend on when you are sailing. They may still be having staffing problems or lack of tour guides in all of their ports. There is a lot of follow up closer to your sailing once booked. Hope this helps.

Thanks... one is for  private tour that someone on our ship has started and there is still room according to the organizer . The other is for shared excursion.  We are sailing Mid March. Hope they are able to respond . 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/9/2024 at 3:34 PM, hoopslover said:

We just booked two excursions with ItalyTours for our June 2024 sailing and will be booking two more with them.

They are responsive and have been in contact with me regarding my recent bookings, but they advised me they are very busy and to give them 2-5 days to receive confirmations of excursions.

If you haven’t received a reply about an excursion, I recommend following up after 2 days or so.

How is the leg room in the vans? My DH and I are tall (not freakishly😉) and have long legs. Are we going to be cramped in the vans? We are booked for Florence & Pisa and possibly Pompeii & Amalfi coast? 

On 1/26/2024 at 1:29 PM, Harlon11 said:

We are booked with Italy Tours in May while docked in Nice.  We are doing a tour of Monte Carlo.  We will be in a mini-van, and are a little concerned about that.  My husband is on the tall side, and will not be able to sit in the van for extended periods of time with little to no legroom.  Does anyone have any experience with the size of their mini-vans?  Wondering if they will be comfortable.  Thanks.

Why not reach out to them and ask what type of van will be used for your group?

Some agencies are able to give you this info. Others can't because they depend on independent contractors with their own vans. 

I seem to recall on our Classic Amalfi Coast excursion, some folks in my tour said the back seats were not the most comfortable due to being above the wheels. We had an 8-person van for a tour group of 6. I heartily recommend doing this (having fewer people and paying a few $$ more per person) to have a bit of extra room and be comfortable, especially when you will be in the van driving for a long portion of the day -- as in the Amalfi Coast tours.

Just in general I would estimate that European vans and buses have less legroom than the US models, which tend to be larger overall.

Do ask them what kind of minivan you will be in. We hired them and it was lovely. It was a Mercedes “minivan”, nothing like the American “minivans”. Leather seats very comfy, tall interior. One of the couples on our tour to Florence was probably at least 6 foot two he looked very comfortable. 

The day prior, we toured with Bella Italia, and same thing; Mercedes “minivan” they are large!!

PS, a tall person can always choose to be in the front next to the drivers. That tall man in our group, got into a rear seat with his wife, and another man sat up front. All very comfortable and friendly.

Edited by scapjm

Don’t blame you. I’m surprised to read this based on our experience but that’s not right; they should be responding to you directly. We also like Bella Italia tours… used them for our first day, while at the Livorno port. Our friends did all the communicating with them and were very happy about it. Same large Mercedes van that they refer to as minivans.

You will be fine with leg room.   I am 6'1" and the other guy we traveled with on the cruise is 6'6".  He played semi-pro basketball back in the day.  He sat in the 2nd row and had plenty of room.  They are not like our US minivans(Odyssey, Sienna, etc...).   They are larger Mercedes style vans.  He was comfortable enough and we had no issues.  We did private tours.  We did not utilize the 3rd row. The 2nd row is 3 seats but there is a space by the sliding door to extend your legs if you want.  

I have emailed Italytours about an excursion in Rome but they haven't responded yet.  Does anyone know what the situation in Rome is now as far as skipping the lines or buying tickets for Vatican and Colosseum?  I'm also in contact with Romeinlimo who I will be using for 2 other tours in other cities.  They recommend seeing the colosseum from the outside only??  Need some insight please.

• Like 1

It had been a difficult year trying to book in Italy. 

Italy tours said they are suspended any reservations at this time. 

Rome cabs which used to serve every where only working Rome. 

I refuse to work through overpriced viator

On 1/30/2024 at 12:29 PM, SharonK said:

I have emailed Italytours about an excursion in Rome but they haven't responded yet.  Does anyone know what the situation in Rome is now as far as skipping the lines or buying tickets for Vatican and Colosseum?  I'm also in contact with Romeinlimo who I will be using for 2 other tours in other cities.  They recommend seeing the colosseum from the outside only??  Need some insight please.

Rome can handle a lot of visitors, but tourism keeps on growing and even Rome has her breaking points.

The two places you mention are the ones that are the biggest hassle because everyone wants to see them. You basically DO need a confirmed, advance ticket for the Colosseum and for the Vatican Museums if they are on your to-do list, and you should probably resign yourself that it may be difficult to impossible to do both of them on a normal-length port day unless you really hustle (e.g., first off ship, last back, skip lunch, etc.)

In particular Rome's system for releasing tickets for the various Colosseum tours via their official partner COOPCulture has led to a lot of abuses -- similar to how consortia buy up concert tickets in the US and then re-sell them at marked-up prices. I've read that COOPCulture lost their contract for being the sole ticket outlet, which makes the situation even more confusing for visitors.

It's been said that Rome authorities are considering how to fix the problem, but in the meantime, you have to do some research and figure out how to get your tickets, which may include going through a third-party. Some of the options include:

-- Trying to purchase tickets through   https://www.coopculture.it/en/poi/colosseum/ which releases them a specific number of days in advance, and not all at the same time. This means making sure you are online or on the phone the moment tickets drop in Rome (which is 6 hours ahead of US EST) and trying to nab some before they disappear. You need to have a strategy, as they release various different kinds of tickets ranging from entry only (the first to sell out) to guided tours that include various areas of the structure. If you can't get the basic entry ticket, you might opt for one of the shorter tours, just to have your ticket. 

-- Buying through a third party -- there are numerous third-party vendors that sell tickets, usually as part of a tour. Beware though: last year there were some posts that vendors had to refund payment to some parties because even THEY couldn't get the tickets.

-- A third option is to buy the RomaPass, a pass that, for a fixed cost, lets you visit a couple of sites for free and then at a reduced price for additional ones. The Colosseum is included, but you MUST pre-reserve a time, even if you have the RomaPass.

-- As a last resort, there are individual ticket booths near the site that opened last year, for "day of" admission tickets only -- and I expect the number you can purchase at a time is limited. Of course, there is always the possibility that these tickets will be sold out by the time you get there. More info here:   https://colosseo.it/en/2023/05/ticket-office-opening-colosseum-square/

There are articles online that give much more detailed info than my quick summary. I suggest reading a few of them:

https://www.findingtheuniverse.com/colosseum-rome-guide/ (ticket discussion near the end)

https://www.earthtrekkers.com/how-to-visit-the-colosseum/

• Like 1