Nervous about travel documents - please help!

travelingfrugal

I know you know the real reason why. [emoji41]

But, just for those who may wonder why:

Requiring the passports from everyone on every cruise (including surrendering it to the purser on most itineraries) is a courtesy to passengers and a cruise line efficacy.

The passenger courtesy:

>no worries about what is or isn't an acceptable ID.

>no need to be available for early AM customs/border examination on arrival in port (with a very few exceptions).

>no hold up due to other passengers' ID issues.

>no problem locating/transferring passport to port agent for anyone who misses the ship.

The cruise line efficacy:

>all of the above (so, basically, eliminate any ID related problems).

And, of course, there's some common business sense here as well. Most of the premium/luxury segment cruisers are already passport holders (or can easily afford one/many if they're a newbie). So, requiring a passport is seldom a "deal breaker" for someone contemplating one of those cruises.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Funny, I've never experienced any of those passenger issues.

Funny, I've never experienced any of those passenger issues.

Even funnier(?), you're not the only folks on the ship (or trying to get on with whatever ID).

As for getting up early for customs/border review of your passport, I'm guessing you've not been to French Polynesia (or quite a few other Pacific locations).

Even funnier(?), you're not the only folks on the ship (or trying to get on with whatever ID).

As for getting up early for customs/border review of your passport, I'm guessing you've not been to French Polynesia (or quite a few other Pacific locations).

I didn't fare all that well in geography in high school but I'm fairly certain that one can't reach French Polynesia via a closed loop cruise:cool:. As for other folks needing their ID yes, they do and no cruise line that I know of is going to delay sailing for someone whose documents are not in order (which ultimately is the passenger's responsibility).

I didn't fare all that well in geography in high school but I'm fairly certain that one can't reach French Polynesia via a closed loop cruise:cool:. As for other folks needing their ID yes, they do and no cruise line that I know of is going to delay sailing for someone whose documents are not in order (which ultimately is the passenger's responsibility).

Hello? There are other than American passengers on cruise ships regardless of where they're going. "Closed loop" is a knitting stitch to them.

Also, my comment was to explain why some cruise lines require passports of everyone (in general as opposed to Caribbean -- oops! Isn't Cuba in the Caribbean and a port on a growing number of MIA RT cruises?).

Not rocket science here: just a common sense industry practice to have a "common denominator" (across a multinational passenger population) where those affected would have little if any reason to have issue with the practice.

Maybe you should have listened better in class - there are several itineraries (on HAL, Princess, and Regent) sailing from Calfornia ports which hit one ore more ports in Frence Polynesia and which seem to meet the definition of "closed loop cruise".

Hello? There are other than American passengers on cruise ships regardless of where they're going. "Closed loop" is a knitting stitch to them.

Also, my comment was to explain why some cruise lines require passports of everyone (in general as opposed to Caribbean -- oops! Isn't Cuba in the Caribbean and a port on a growing number of MIA RT cruises?).

Not rocket science here: just a common sense industry practice to have a "common denominator" (across a multinational passenger population) where those affected would have little if any reason to have issue with the practice.

I thought your comment was regarding having to get up early to meet with customs people, my bad. The mainstream lines do quite well explaining to their multinational clients that they need passports. Yes, Cuba is certainly in the Caribbean and all ships calling there do require passports for all passengers, even US ones.

Maybe you should have listened better in class - there are several itineraries (on HAL, Princess, and Regent) sailing from Calfornia ports which hit one ore more ports in Frence Polynesia and which seem to meet the definition of "closed loop cruise".

Comes more from a lack of knowledge of cruise line itineraries then geography;), but "closed loop cruise" includes not only leaving from a US port and returning to the same US port but also entails sailing entirely within those countries covered by the WHTI.

Just bumping to say I would still appreciate information from anyone about the BC + ID combo. :)

There's really no more information you need- if your passport doesn't return in time (which it should) your birth cert and govt issued ID will be sufficient to get on your cruise. Millions of people every year travel with something other than a passport on a closed loop cruise and while I don't know what the break down is regarding how many are using BC/Govt ID I'm sure it's a decent percentage.

There's really no more information you need- if your passport doesn't return in time (which it should) your birth cert and govt issued ID will be sufficient to get on your cruise. Millions of people every year travel with something other than a passport on a closed loop cruise and while I don't know what the break down is regarding how many are using BC/Govt ID I'm sure it's a decent percentage.

I’ve seen conflicting things about Saint Martin and whether or not they require a passport (and Labadee as well - but I’m going to assume that’s misinformation because I doubt RCCL would have their private destentation be inaccessible to so many).

I know that generally, BC + IDs work on closed loop cruises. That’s why I ordered a second copy of my BC. Some ports though, as discussed, require a passport, even for closed loop.

Comes more from a lack of knowledge of cruise line itineraries then geography;), but "closed loop cruise" includes not only leaving from a US port and returning to the same US port but also entails sailing entirely within those countries covered by the WHTI.

No-- a "closed loop cruise" is defined simply as a cruise which departs from, and returns to, the same U S port. Just because the WHTI documentation exceptions only apply to closed loop cruises, it certainly does not mean that a closed loop cruise can only involve WHTI signatories.

No-- a "closed loop cruise" is defined simply as a cruise which departs from, and returns to, the same U S port. Just because the WHTI documentation exceptions only apply to closed loop cruises, it certainly does not mean that a closed loop cruise can only involve WHTI signatories.

The DHS regulation legal definition of "closed loop" (and the resulting "closed loop exception") involves those countries covered by the WHTI. One can certainly board a cruise in NYC and cruise around the world returning to NYC and it is not a cruise covered by the closed loop exception.

I’ve seen conflicting things about Saint Martin and whether or not they require a passport (and Labadee as well - but I’m going to assume that’s misinformation because I doubt RCCL would have their private destentation be inaccessible to so many).

I know that generally, BC + IDs work on closed loop cruises. That’s why I ordered a second copy of my BC. Some ports though, as discussed, require a passport, even for closed loop.

It is my understanding that both St Martin and Labadee except cruise ship passengers from the passport requirements. If this were not so passengers could not board any cruise destined for those ports with anything less than a passport.

I recently renewed my passport and got passports for my kids and got them back in about 2 weeks, not expedited. If you put the travel date on there they will get it back to you. The post office even messed up and didnt sign one of my kids applications and total time was about 3 weeks even after the Passport office sent the application back to us and had to resend.

Note to all non-participating readers of this thread:

Who requires passports (including governments and/or cruise lines) and where, when, why (even how) they do can be a moving target (in our somewhat volatile political world climate) and open to interpretation by whoever is officially examining your presented ID.

If you are going to do any kind of international travel in the foreseeable future, get a passport.

The DHS regulation legal definition of "closed loop" (and the resulting "closed loop exception") involves those countries covered by the WHTI. One can certainly board a cruise in NYC and cruise around the world returning to NYC and it is not a cruise covered by the closed loop exception.

Whether or not it is covered by an exception: a closed loop cruise is a closed loop cruise. WHTI is not the only context in which being a closed loop cruise is significant.

Under PVSA rules a foreign flagged ship may not carry passengers between two different US ports, but may carry passengers on a closed loop cruise.

I recently renewed my passport and got passports for my kids and got them back in about 2 weeks, not expedited. If you put the travel date on there they will get it back to you. The post office even messed up and didnt sign one of my kids applications and total time was about 3 weeks even after the Passport office sent the application back to us and had to resend.

That’s quick for non-expedited. I hope mine is just as quick. I can’t track it yet so it’s all a waiting game.

Note to all non-participating readers of this thread:

Who requires passports (including governments and/or cruise lines) and where, when, why (even how) they do can be a moving target (in our somewhat volatile political world climate) and open to interpretation by whoever is officially examining your presented ID.

If you are going to do any kind of international travel in the foreseeable future, get a passport.

Or just educate yourself regarding the documentation required for your travel since not all international travel requires a passport (and the requirements really don't change that often) and use the travel documentation that makes the most sense for your travel needs.

Whether or not it is covered by an exception: a closed loop cruise is a closed loop cruise. WHTI is not the only context in which being a closed loop cruise is significant.

Under PVSA rules a foreign flagged ship may not carry passengers between two different US ports, but may carry passengers on a closed loop cruise.

Fine, then in response to your original post replying to mine I'll claim ignorance of cruise line itineraries but not geography:rolleyes:.

It is always funny to me. Americans are so anti-passport.

Most of the rest of the world has a passport. And they carry it with them pretty much all the time. I was just talking a Brit, in Timor (he was via Australia), about this. He doesn't understand it either.

Most of the rest of the world has a passport. And they carry it with them pretty much all the time. I was just talking a Brit, in Timor (he was via Australia), about this. He doesn't understand it either.

It is hard to understand - for the annualized cost of one pizza or a couple of beers per year, people who will spend much more periodically (and often really needlessly) upgrading their cell phones will defer until they get themselves into a panic when a real travel opportunity comes up.

I'm not anti-passport, have one in my safe deposit box:) (two actually since DW has hers too;)). I do recognize though that not all US citizens need a passport for the travel that they are undertaking, nor for their day to day needs. US citizens do have legitimate, legal choices regarding to make regarding travel documentation under some circumstances. Why in the world would someone who lives on a border (such as the people in my village) spring for a passport when the only travel they are ever going to do is to cross the Canadian border every once in a while? Makes more sense for them to use one of the less expensive alternatives, don't you think? Canada is a foreign country, going there is international travel.

If someone can only travel via closed loop cruise every year or two the same question applies, keeping in mind that they likely don't have to spend anything extra to make that travel since they very likely already have all that they need. IF something happens they might face a little more delay in getting home, sure, but the risk for most is very low. As long as they are willing to accept that risk why would you even question their decision? Their decision has zero impact on you.

I'm not anti-passport, have one in my safe deposit box:) (two actually since DW has hers too;)). I do recognize though that not all US citizens need a passport for the travel that they are undertaking, nor for their day to day needs. US citizens do have legitimate, legal choices regarding to make regarding travel documentation under some circumstances. Why in the world would someone who lives on a border (such as the people in my village) spring for a passport when the only travel they are ever going to do is to cross the Canadian border every once in a while? Makes more sense for them to use one of the less expensive alternatives, don't you think? Canada is a foreign country, going there is international travel.

If someone can only travel via closed loop cruise every year or two the same question applies, keeping in mind that they likely don't have to spend anything extra to make that travel since they very likely already have all that they need. IF something happens they might face a little more delay in getting home, sure, but the risk for most is very low. As long as they are willing to accept that risk why would you even question their decision? Their decision has zero impact on you.

Reads like a lot of rationalizing effort for someone who's "not anti-passport".

Reads like a lot of rationalizing effort for someone who's "not anti-passport".

Nope, just a recognition that everyone's needs are different since it's not a one size fits all proposition and that people have the right to make their own decision.