Air Fare Booked with your Viking River Cruise - what has been your experience?

coloradocruiselover88

Our experience was very positive. We tried repeatedly but were unable to book the Viking precruise to Transylvania. Our Viking rep suggested we check TA and choose air deviation. We did, paid the fee, and had a fantastic experience with a tour provider we found top rated on TA. Our family members joined us in Budapest. They paid the deviation and were on the same return flights. Our flights were pretty much what we with have chosen with KLM.

Kathy I have traveled with this low airfare was not crazy about it much but then again, if I was traveling to the far east then I would have booked along side with Viking air the Business Class where I can sleep. While we went to Amsterdam in July the flight was long yes, but not any worse then to sleep in a train car going up north. IF your husband has long legs like mine did, get him the seats with the emergency exit they have more leg room otherwise it was still good. Luftansa was very good for us gave us whiskey for free food was also good. not top chefs but overall good too.:D

Good day fellow travelers! I am excited to be going on my first river cruise, choosing Viking only because my brother and wife picked it and they have river cruised before.

We have air at a very, very reasonable price. What has been your experience when you do your air thru Viking? Do they want until the very last minute to book it for you? Do you get stuck in awful middle seats? Do they make take the longest, cheapest route or the most direct?

Any help, tips, information you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

Kathi

We are going to be doing 2 river cruises in April/May-we will do the Tulip and Windmills then follow that with a Bordeaux.

The question I had on airfare-for those who have flown back from Bordeaux-how long do it take to get to CDG (I assume that will be where the return flight will originate)

I want to do some flight research ahead of time so when we ask for deviations I have something in place..

Thanks for the excellent explanation. I will also need the consider, in our case, a one way return as we will remain in Europe/Turkey for a couple of months post cruise ... this is assuming the deviation fee does not cover a ticket that far out.

You may also want to ask Air Plus about their "stopover" program which costs $200 per stop. Each cruise offers a list of stopover airports, but you may be staying beyond their requirements.

A little off topic but in July i will be using Delta/Air France/KLM with Viking. Glad to hear you had no problems. I would like to bringing a carry on and a personal item only. Any problems as long as your 22 x 14 x 9 luggage is that size? Did you have to wait long at the airport to be transferred to the hotel or ship?

So far all three Viking trips taken have been with Viking Air. We did not pay for the Air Plus on any, and with the exception of a tight connection in Paris en route to Bordeaux, all have gone smoothly. All trips (originating in St. Louis) have been via Delta/Air France/KLM and no complaints. We did upgrade our seats on one trip on our own, but that simply depends on equipment, personal choice of seats, etc.

Typically you’ll receive your flight info 90 days out. You’ll want to log onto the airline websites to see if seat selection can be made, but that will vary. I strongly encourage you to keep checking your MyVikingJourney page and occasionally look at the reservation on the airline websites as well. Flight times and numbers can change, so you’ll want to make sure you’re up to date.

You’re going to have a wonderful time!

Jeff

Hello!

Your carry on should be just fine.

And on each trip, the Viking reps were waiting outside customs for us. You might have to wait a few minutes for additional passengers on other flights, but you probably won’t wait long. We never have.

Enjoy!

Jeff

For those who have used Viking Air ... can you deviate your arrival date/airport. We have a R/T cruise out of Venice before our river cruise out of Budapest ... this would be about three weeks prior to our river cruise departure. We would obviously prefer to arrive in Venice (or at least Rome) so that we don't have to travel between Budapest/Venice twice. In this scenario, we would then make our way to Budapest on our own.

Air Plus will accommodate your request as a deviation for $100pp per cruise with a loss of all transfers. You can also ask if you can arrange the $200pp "stopover" city through Air Plus ($50pp) which would include your airfare from Italy to Budapest and transfer from that airport. Whether Rome/Venice are available depends on stopover cities specified for that particular cruise.

Request early ticketing which isn't offered unles requested, you will have your eticket confirmed within days allowing to pick your own seats.

Edited by MURPHY27

A little off topic but in July i will be using Delta/Air France/KLM with Viking. Glad to hear you had no problems. I would like to bringing a carry on and a personal item only. Any problems as long as your 22 x 14 x 9 luggage is that size? Did you have to wait long at the airport to be transferred to the hotel or ship?

So far all three Viking trips taken have been with Viking Air. We did not pay for the Air Plus on any, and with the exception of a tight connection in Paris en route to Bordeaux, all have gone smoothly. All trips (originating in St. Louis) have been via Delta/Air France/KLM and no complaints. We did upgrade our seats on one trip on our own, but that simply depends on equipment, personal choice of seats, etc.

Typically you’ll receive your flight info 90 days out. You’ll want to log onto the airline websites to see if seat selection can be made, but that will vary. I strongly encourage you to keep checking your MyVikingJourney page and occasionally look at the reservation on the airline websites as well. Flight times and numbers can change, so you’ll want to make sure you’re up to date.

You’re going to have a wonderful time!

Jeff

To obtain your confirmed seats earlier, request early ticketing.

You will need to contact your travel agent.

Jeff

Early ticketing i keying requires Air Plus ($50pp) and you TA can use your cc. Have her ask Viking to waive any ticketing fees. TAs often don't know about Air Plus and how Viking books, sometimes offer reasons why not to use Air Plus bec they believe they can do. So if you want early tickets tell your agent to work w Air Plus.

Edited by MURPHY27

Early ticketing i keying requires Air Plus ($50pp) and you TA can use your cc. Have her ask Viking to waive any ticketing fees. TAs often don't know about Air Plus and how Viking books, sometimes offer reasons why not to use Air Plus bec they believe they can do. So if you want early tickets tell your agent to work w Air Plus.

FYI, I’ve requested early ticketing a couple of times and I’ve not yet had to pay any fees. And we’ve never used Air Plus. I’m fairly certain that it is a policy for there to be a fee, but that it isn’t always charged. I’ve got a great TA so that certainly has something to do with it :D

One of many reasons that it pays to book with an agent.

Jeff

FYI, I’ve requested early ticketing a couple of times and I’ve not yet had to pay any fees. And we’ve never used Air Plus. I’m fairly certain that it is a policy for there to be a fee, but that it isn’t always charged. I’ve got a great TA so that certainly has something to do with it :D

One of many reasons that it pays to book with an agent.

Jeff

I've never paid for early ticketing. There is a "fee" but it is always offered to be waived. I fly frequently but since I'm somewhat claustrophobic my seat is key. It is a high priority for me to sit forward and on the aisle to erase any anxiety.