Taking the Tux on the Holiday Cruise - Why not?

Gentlemen, are you going to get the tuxedo out for your holiday Cruise?  

64 members have voted

1. 1. Gentlemen, are you going to get the tuxedo out for your holiday Cruise?

• YES
    • NOT A CHANCE!
    • No, but I will be wearing a dark suit.
    • I would wear my shorts & a tee shirt to the dining room if I could.

I typically take my tux with me on cruises, but fewer men wear tuxedos, suits, or even dress shirts on formal nights.

"I would wear my shorts & a tee shirt to the dining room if I could."

Well, on the Liberty cruise last week, on formal nights there were men in shorts, t-shirts, jeans, you name it.

Formal night sure isn't what it used to be.

Do these people think they are above the rules? What happens if they have a formal event to attend, something for work or a wedding? Or, God forbid, a loved one passes away? Would they show up to the service in shorts?

I understand the argument of one not being able to afford a suit. But if you can afford to go on a cruise, you can afford a suit. I have a suit that I got off the rack at JC Penney, on sale with a coupon. Took it to a tailor for alterations and when all was said and done, I spent less than $200.

I typically take my tux with me on cruises, but fewer men wear tuxedos, suits, or even dress shirts on formal nights.

"I would wear my shorts & a tee shirt to the dining room if I could."

Well, on the Liberty cruise last week, on formal nights there were men in shorts, t-shirts, jeans, you name it.

Formal night sure isn't what it used to be.

Sad to say you are right. Reason why I still bring my tuxedo!

Do these people think they are above the rules? What happens if they have a formal event to attend, something for work or a wedding? Or, God forbid, a loved one passes away? Would they show up to the service in shorts?

I understand the argument of one not being able to afford a suit. But if you can afford to go on a cruise, you can afford a suit. I have a suit that I got off the rack at JC Penney, on sale with a coupon. Took it to a tailor for alterations and when all was said and done, I spent less than $200.

I'd just like to officially make the public proclamation here on cruise critic, that upon the event of my death anyone who wishes to attend the funeral is welcome to attend while wearing shorts, flip flops, or swimwear. Anyone showing up in a tuxedo will be forced to serve drinks to the other attendees after the service.

DH does not currently own a tux. If he did, then he would wear it on every formal night, every cruise. We dress up anyway, me in a cocktail dress, and him in a dark suit.

We do too. Personal choice. We don't care if we are the only two on the whole ship dressed up on formal evenings.

My husband is bringing his tux and a suit on our 6 night cruise. He loves dressing up more than I do. [emoji6] I’m bringing a cocktail dress and a nice lace dress for the formal nights.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We do too. Personal choice. We don't care if we are the only two on the whole ship dressed up on formal evenings.

Nowadays everything is casual, and in some instances, too casual. It's nice to dress up now and then and to be around others dressed the same. But, you'll find some people on these forums that think they are the only people on the ship and can do as they please.

I was born in the 80's...10 years ago if you told me that MY generation would appreciate a little formal wear now and then, I would have laughed. :p

I'd just like to officially make the public proclamation here on cruise critic, that upon the event of my death anyone who wishes to attend the funeral is welcome to attend while wearing shorts, flip flops, or swimwear. Anyone showing up in a tuxedo will be forced to serve drinks to the other attendees after the service.

Same here! If I could wear shorts and a t-shirt in the dining room, I would. DD on the other hand is one of those that likes to dress to the nines. For our upcoming holiday cruise, she is bringing a ball gown for Xmas eve. I say more power to her! Enjoy it as much as I enjoy my dressing down.

If she likes that I think it's fantastic. I hope you both enjoy your evening! If you make that effort to dress up, commemorate it with a nice photo either on your own or by a ship photographer.

We were just on the Adventure and our waiter said I only needed to ensure I was wearing pants, shoes and a shirt even for the formal night. He said pretty much anything goes for the women. (We always ask the first night in the mdr. It's been one of the most consistent answers I ever gotten from royal Caribbean employees.)

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

We still enjoy dressing for the holidays (Christmas and New Years) in formal wear. Must admit I have joined the ranks of the "nice dark suit" crowd on our other cruise formal nights.

I guess to each his or her own. The ships try so hard to make those two events elegant!

To be honest, I'm not sure why I've not brought my tux on the cruises we've been on? I own one and wear it usually once or twice a year (charity benefits), but have always brought a nice suit for formal nights in the past. Maybe just because I knew that the other men we were going to be cruising with weren't going to bring a tux, so I didn't want to be the only one at the table wearing one?