Grand Princess Review Dec. 3-10

cruisinqt

We have cruised on Carnival, Royal Caribbean, and Norwegian, but this is our first Princess cruise. We all thought Princess was much more laid back and refined compared to our previous cruises. We missed the excitement and electricity in the air that we felt on board our last cruise which was the Conquest. But we really enjoyed the peace and tranquility Princess offered, especially eating fresh hot pizza while watching MUTS late at night.:)

We parked at E-Z cruise parking for $50 for the week and they shuttled us to the pier which was quick and easy. We got to the terminal around 11:45 and the lines were much longer than we anticipated. After going through all of the lines for about 40 minutes, we had to wait another 35 minutes to board. Someone said a lady fell or something, but that's hearsay and I can't be for sure. All I know is they didn't let us board until 1:00 and by then the terminal was extremely crowded with no one to organize us as to who got there first or anything, people were sprawled all over the place. When they finally announced that we could board and we should line up single file, it was chaos. The line did move rather quickly and since we moved fast and were near the front of the line, we were on board in about 10-15 minutes. Overall, the embarkation process was terrible.:mad:

The cabin was quite small compared to our last cruise, but the space was well utilized with lots of drawers, shelves, and nooks and cranny's. Even though there were 4 of us, we were comfortable. There are no shampoo or conditioner dispensers on board Princess, but they have dozens of packets of shampoo, conditioner, lotion, etc. which is replenished daily. The ship was in good shape and the crew was friendly. We found the buffet to be a hit and miss. Some days it was pretty good, but other days we didn't like it at all. It seemed like many of the dishes on the buffet seemed to cater to the European crowd with some odd dishes. For instance, at breakfast there were often strange dishes like smoked salmon, egg drop soup, grilled tomatoes, and fried rice with vegetables. Odd foods like this were also served at lunch and dinner, cutting down on the selection of normal dishes we would be interested in. Maybe that's why the Horizon Court buffet was a hit and a miss for us.

But in contrast, the formal dining was by far the best we've ever had on any cruise. One dish I really liked was the farfalle bowtie pasta with duck in a wine sauce. The best dessert for the entire cruise for us was the Princess Raspberry Souffle. It came out in a steaming hot dish and the waiter scooped it out onto your plate and then spooned a sweet creme sauce over it. Oh, do I miss that dessert!:( Overall, the waiters were very good and we enjoyed the anytime dining thoroughly. Just be prepared to wait 30 minutes or so when you show up to eat if you're doing the anytime dining.

We never had a problem finding a lounger near the pool or a seat for MUTS. MUTS movies were "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory," "Batman Begins," "Wallace and Grommit," "The Interpretor," "Shrek 2," "The Incredibles," "Aviator," and "The Wizard of Oz" to name a few. If you have kids you have to go to The Wizard of Oz because they hand out goody bags to everyone which was a big hit with my kids. The bags had cazoos, a stick with brightly colored streamers on it, bubbles, and some gadget that made a clickety clack sound. When it was time to blow bubbles, bubbles showed up on the screen, when it was time to play the cazoo, a cazoo showed up on the screen and so forth. The kids loved it. And the movie had the words to the songs on the screen so you could sing along. We enjoyed that evening of family time thoroughly.

The show Saturday night has a pretty good comedian who also did some neat magic tricks. His name is Chip Romero and he does a bigger longer show later in the week which is really good. Caribbean Island night was great with people handing out leighs, prizes were being given away, streamers were all over the place, there was live music, and a great late night buffet. You've got to go to this. And at the buffet, try the jalapeno poppers, mini tacos and taquitos, they were great. The bananas foster was served hot in a rum sauce with homemade ice-cream, you have to try it too.

Monday we arrived in Costa Maya around 10:20 and were walking off the ship about 15 minutes later. We walked through the shops and followed the signs to where the taxi's were. This is also where the golf carts were which is what we were looking for. They cost $25 for two hours or $50 for the whole day. We did the all day thing and had a blast driving all around sightseeing in Majahual. Our kids especially loved it as they giggled and waved at everyone we passed by. It was very hot but the golf cart provided shade and a breeze which was much appreciated. Majahual is not for everyone, especially for those that prefer fancy hotels and upscale shops. It is very rustic with dirt roads, thatched roofs, and crowded rows of small shops. But the feeling you get is not of a commercialized touristy area like Cozumel, but of a rustic village that's a little behind the times but very down to earth and authentic. We found a nice little place on the beach that had an open air restaurant with an excellent view of the beach. This place also had their own lounge chairs with shady umbrellas to use for free. The beers were $2, the canned sodas were $1 and the restrooms were clean. The sand was white and the water was so clear that my daughter reached down and caught a fish bare handed!:eek: It's only a couple of feet deep and goes no further than 3 or 4 feet deep all the way up to the reefs which are about 100 yards away. With the water so shallow and the reefs keeping the waves back, it was perfect for kids and families. I saw a few snorkelers go out to the reefs. They said it was nice out there. For only $29 we had 4 beers, 5 cokes, a large plate of fries, fajita's, and quesadillas. When we gave the guy $35 since he had waited on us all day long, you would think he had won the lottery! The people in the shops really push you to buy their stuff, which was the only negative thing for us. But if you say "no thank you" in a firm voice, they back off. You just get tired of saying "no thank you" every five minutes. But for us, it was well worth it and we would go back to this piece of untouched paradise in a heartbeat. It was really refreshing without all of the built up touristy stuff you usually see in most ports. Unfortunately this place probably won't remain this way since we saw several new hotels and restaurants being built. The shopping in Majahual is the best and this area along with Costa Maya is where we found our best bargains.

In Belize our time was limited to 6:30 - 1:30 and since we aren't early risers, we just decided to stay near the pier and do some shopping. The shopping area is extensive, but they don't haggle on prices much, so we went past the guards out to the flea market nearby. This is the place for bargains, but the locals are much more pushy there. Be prepared to say "no thank you" in a firm voice very often. They do have some neat stuff at good prices, so go to the flea market, but I would recommend going on a tour to those who don't mind rising early. Many cruisers really enjoyed the cave tubing it was probably much more interesting than shopping, though we did get some bargains while shopping in the flea market.

It's getting late and I probably wouldn't get my whole review done in one shot since it's so long anyway, so I'll say good-bye for now. I'll finish the review in the next day or two, I promise. If you have any questions, fire away. I'll be glad to help.

I love Princess's souffles and have never heard of Princess Rasberry Souffle! Sounds like a new dessert to me :) Yum!

It sounds like a good cruise - just wanted to comment that several regulars who have been on the Grand recently have said it hasn't been like their usual Princess experience. I really hope you sail Princess again and maybe that "electricty" will be on your next cruise.

I agree about the buffet - and truthfully, have not visited it for the last several years. I love the service in the dining room for breakfast and lunch and for me, it doesn't take any longer to go there for those meals. And the dining room lunches on Princess are very good.

Look forward to more of your comments.

You just get tired of saying "no thank you" every five minutes. .

Every five minutes? How about every five SECONDS. Being the only ship in port that day made the walk down the gauntlet of Majahaul a bit much. How many times can you say "no thank you" without getting slightly perturbed....that is the question.

That being said, we also had a great time in Costa Maya/Majahual and can't wait to go back.

We have found that one of the great things about Princess is serving food like Bananas Foster. Done right, it is awesome. I was on one cruise, it was done poorly and one had go and get it!! Right!!

Our last Princess cruise was in 2001 they still had a pasta course. Very few folks took advantage of it though. Is that still being served in the dining room in the evening?

Jim

We'll be doing our first cruise ever in Jan. on the Grand and with all the "iffy" reports posted lately, I'd been wondering if I'd booked the wrong cruise. Your review has been full of great info and now I'm looking forward to cruising the Grand.

Do you have any one piece of esential advice for newbies?

Looking forward to the rest of your review!

Karen

Karen,

Don't let some of the sour reports spoil the anticipation. The anticipation is a big part of what makes cruising great. Princess does a great job! If they did not do it right, they would not be getting this many repeat cruisers. There might be some logistical glitches in the Cozumel and Grand Cayman areas, but if you like cruising, then you will return to those ports again anyway. You might like staying aboard if it seems like the tendering situation is more than you can deal with.

Again, I will state that Princess is a great line with plenty of quality folks who work there. They will try very hard to see that you enjoy yourself. Just be sure to thank those people who do a good job, they like the compliments. They are just like other people who work hard, they need to know that your appreciate their efforts.

Jim

Karen, Don't let some of the sour reports spoil the anticipation. Jim

EXACTLY......and don't sweat the small stuff. If the boat leaves late, so what, would you rather be on the dock? If you don't like the comedian, so what, don't let it spoil your evening. One sour attitude, a bad drink, a below average waiter shouldn't send you off the deep end. Relax. Try a different show, a different lounge, a different section in the dining room.

It's seems to me we all build up our cruises sooo much for sooo long that when we finally take them...if things don't go exactly right...our bubble bursts. We set ourselves up for a let down. We try and pick the perfect cabin, the perfect excursion, the perfect beach. Well, guess what? Sometimes we do, sometimes we don't. It's STILL a cruise people, enjoy it!

All I know is, on my 12/3 to 12/10 Grand Princess cruise my wife & I had the time of our lives. I understand that some others didn't. I'm sorry for that, but we didn't let Princess Cruise Lines dictate whether we were having a good time or not. We took it upon ourselves.....and you know what? We had a great time and I hope that all of you future cruisers have a great time as well.

Our last Princess cruise was in 2001 they still had a pasta course. Very few folks took advantage of it though. Is that still being served in the dining room in the evening?

Jim

No - the pasta course is no longer there. But there seems to always be a pasta selection on the menu each night (either on the vegetarian or regular menu) plus fettucine alfredo on the anytime menu - I make my own pasta course by asking for a small dish before my entree. Also, on the kids menu is a pasta with a red sauce and you can always order that also.

Princess still does pasta very well!

Nice review and honest. But do you really think Smoked Salmon is strange?

Have it on a bagel with some cream cheese, you will love it.

Maybe is is a Northeast thing :D

...and a European thing. I agree - smoked salmon is VERY tasty and it is by no means strange on an international breakfast buffet. Nor are grilled tomatoes, a British staple that's as common in the U.K. as pancakes and sausage in the U.S. Egg Drop Soup and Fried Rice are, however, a bit unusual on a Western breakfast menu.

I'm surprised with all he Texans on board they haven't been forced to only have breakfast tacos, migas and grits:D The diversity is what makes cruising so much fun and enable you to try something you wouldn't back home. As they say......try it, Mikee likes it!

Mike

http://www.homepage.mac.com/csealove/

SOOOO glad to hear a good review for the Grand. We go on our first cruise in February so I'm really excited, but was getting a little anxious when I started hearing some of the stories. BUT, I'm gonna have a good time no matter what. I'm gonna just be so glad to get away :D

We live just west of Crowley so not very far apart at all.

And Snoozeman, I see you live in Bosque County. My BIL lives on Lake Whitney on the west side, toward the south in the King Creek area, just north of Walling Bend.

I just LOVE seeing all us Texans around here. Like someone said, if there's not a party, we'll just make our own! ;) Those people on that ship can't be too grouchy for long when we're around! And nothing like a good deal to really get you smiling. Did ya'll buy mainly jewelry, or what did you find great deals on?

Merry Christmas everybody!

Houstoncruzer

Which ship to you prefer, Rhapsody or Grand? Do you have have any specific "don't miss" things to see or do on Grand?

Thanks

I love this question. Having been on both twice I feel like I know them somewhat. Of course, the GP is ALOT bigger than the Rhapsody, which I like, but both ships were alot of fun. I'd say the atrium, main dining room & theater are nicer on the Rhapsody, but overall I like the Grand better. It has better pool areas, better dining options, I thought the Grand's food & service were superior and the cabin layout was more efficient.

The best answer really is that next December we were either going to book the Rhapsody, Grand Princess or even the Conquest out of Galveston........and we booked the Grand again for Dec 9th.

As far as "can't miss", geez that's a hard one. Different strokes for different folks, you know. As campy as it sounds, the Rock & Roll show in the Vista Lounge was very enjoyable. Does that help?

I thought crusinqt may post another installment since she seems to do it late at night. Since she didn't, a follow up to houstoncrusiers---

Thanks for tip, R&R show noted and sounds like fun. We loved the Rhapsody and will do it again 9/06. Also looking at booking Grand again 11/25 or 12/2, the week before you booked. The thing we loved about Rhapsody is that they enforced the no kids in adult pool rules. Is there an adult-only pool on Grand? I like what your saying about food on the Grand, we are looking forward to our own comparisons.

Archived