Cash Sign & Sail account vs using gift card

joyful34

We have ALWAYS used cash to set up our sign and sail account. We don't use credit cards at all & only have our debit card. I learned the hard way many years ago to NEVER use a debit card for our sign and sail account. (it took 8 days after we returned home for all the holds to clear off our checking account from carnival.)

Because we are spending several days in NOLA prior to our cruise and will be using cash around town I was considering buying a Carnival gift card and using that to set up our sign and sail account instead of cash this time. I thought traveling with less cash would be easier.

If I do set up the S&S account with the gift card do I still select the cash option when I do my on-line check in???

Thanks for your help!!!

I only do cash accounts. Yes, select cash under your online check in.

You can add your GCs at embarkation or at GS or a kiosk onboard. I buy a couple hundred dollars of general cruise cash so I don’t have to mess with it first thing. Cruise Cash will be automatically applied to your account and will show up in your online check in as a Fun Shop purchase. There’s no way to add GCs before the day of sailing. However, cruise Cash is use it or lose it so I make sure to use it which isn’t a problem. Then if I want to spend more I’ll add additional cash or gift cards.

Does the Cruise Cash given by your travel agent (as a perk), show up anywhere in your online check in ? or only the one I purchase will show up?

The OBC given by TAs doesn’t typically show up anywhere ahead of time. At least that has been my experience. It should be on your account within the first day or so of the cruise.

Just food for thought, I am not a Carnival customer, but RCCL allows you to call and place funds on your account pre cruise.

You could do this with your debit card and avoid any “holds”. Funds not used are refunded.

Again this is with Royal but may be worth asking if Carnival also offers it, couldn’t imagine why they wouldn’t.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Just food for thought, I am not a Carnival customer, but RCCL allows you to call and place funds on your account pre cruise.

You could do this with your debit card and avoid any “holds”. Funds not used are refunded.

Again this is with Royal but may be worth asking if Carnival also offers it, couldn’t imagine why they wouldn’t.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

With Carnival you have to purchase Cruise Cash.

Thanks for all the info everyone. I have never used "cruise cash" through the fun shops before. I have used a carnival gift card & had it applied towards our final payment back in October. I think I will just purchase one of those at Meijer and then add cash later if we need it.