Moderno lunch buffet on the Gem?

Pandot

There have been posts about a seaday lunch buffet at Moderno but

a) don't know if that is still occuring

b) don't know if that is on the smaller ships like the Gem.

Any insight?

Thanks.

Monderno is the Havens/Suites restaurant serving breakfast and lunch. Not available to non-suites guests.

I think the OP is referring to the buffets that are open to everyone on some sea days in Moderno on some ships.

I’ve seen reference to them a few times on this board. I have vague memories of seeing it on the freestyle dailies on one or two of our cruises, but I never went, so can’t help with the question unfortunately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Actually, although it doesn't answer the OP's question, on the Jewel class ships Haven/suites guests have breakfast in Moderno and lunch in Cagney's. There is no lunch in Moderno on Jewel class.

However, back to OP's question, the buffet lunches you've seen reference to have been on the Away class ships - on sea days only. They range in theme (German, Mexican, etc.) However, when I was on the Breakaway in October, I don't remember if it was EVERY sea day. There is a great breakfast buffet in Cagney's/Modernos on the Away class ships on sea days that is open to all (similar offerings to the regular buffet breakfast, but in a quieter atmosphere with outdoor seating available.) Great place to have breakfast!

On our Dec 2 sailing Moderno offered a buffet lunch open to all passengers on one rainy, cold, sea day. I don't remember if it was in the daily, we heard it announced during one of the CDs "what to do today" speeches so we took advantage of it.

As others noted, there was no Moderno lunch buffet, open to all, on the Gem last year (which we also sailed ... also asked our friends) ... not even on Sea Days - reviewed our full set of Dailies, which were uploaded to post/share. On sea days, there're things in the Great Outdoors, Deck 12 AFT and also the Grill/BBQ things, pool side Deck 12 Mid - BIL/SIL hanged out there a lot, often still "full" when we had early dinner.

On the Breakaway's Halloween sailing, Moderno had an "Asian" theme lunch on Day 3 (midday - 1 PM arrival into Port Canaveral) inside Moderno (Deck 8 AFT) ... whereas, later in the week, another "Asian" theme dinner was at the Garden Cafe/buffet (again :p:D) ... nothing on Day 2 or Day 7 (full Sea Days) - Day 6, was the Jazz event at lunch time, no buffet in Moderno. Day 4 and 5, GSC & Nassau ... Garden Cafe & OSH were open & serving.

Quick links if anyone wanted to see the details for themselves - post #282, click the 4th image/picture - https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2558888&page=15

One other time we're on the BA on a very full sailing, sea day with outdoors closed - Moderno was open on a last minute, unannounced basis - as an extension of what was being served in the buffet for lunch ... but, not everything was available & they quickly ran out of items, short on utensils & plates, etc. Wasn't too impressed but A minus for their efforts as the buffet was jammed full since folks had nowhere to go.

Thanks for the insights! I will just have to await my next cruise on the Escape to check it out. We will use the dining room on the Gem.

Happy Cruising!

Was on the Gem in October. They did offer sandwiches, soup and salads in Modernos one sea day. That was because the weather was bad and the buffet and dining room were full. Nothing really special.

We were just on the Breakaway in November. Moderno had an Asian and Mexican buffet was open for everyone. It was a nice quiet alternative to lunch in the regular buffet or the main dining room. I did let the hotel director that we enjoyed it. Hope they have something similar on the Gem in a couple of weeks.