What are the top three things you look for in a cruise agent?

joecruise

I posted earlier asking if anyone had booked with a particular online agency, but apparently it must be against the rules because the thread was deleted.

So anyways, I'm still shopping around and have a general Q for everyone:

What are the top three things you look for in a cruise agent?

You feedback will help me decide, so it's much appreciated!

1. Nothing
  2. Nothing
  3. Nothing

If you know where you want to go, when you want to go, what ship you want to be on and what type cabin you want to be in, there is no need for an agent.

For starters your in the right place, Cruise Critic dot com. Reading the plethora of theads on every cruise subject imaginable you can determine what cruise is right for you. From there, the rest is a piece of cake.

Booking online is as easy as a keystroke. The most important thing (as posted by many of your fellow cruisers) is to do your homework. Check the prices of a dozen or so online agencies and pick one. It's that simple.;)

1. Nothing
  2. Nothing
  3. Nothing

If you know where you want to go, when you want to go, what ship you want to be on and what type cabin you want to be in, there is no need for an agent.

For starters your in the right place, Cruise Critic dot com. Reading the plethora of theads on every cruise subject imaginable you can determine what cruise is right for you. From there, the rest is a piece of cake.

Booking online is as easy as a keystroke. The most important thing (as posted by many of your fellow cruisers) is to do your homework. Check the prices of a dozen or so online agencies and pick one. It's that simple.;)

Ok I am confused. You say there's no need for an agent, but recommend price shopping agencies and picking one based on cost but don't mention booking direct with a cruise line.

Your advice is contradicting. Unless I've misread what you meant or something, please explain.

I interpret your post to be:

1. Price

2. Price

3. Price

I've found that shopping around for price/cabin location/itinerary and cruise line - making a decision (or several possibilities) and then calling the agent with whom I've booked before to see if she can match/exceed the quotes I've gotten works for me. Sometimes (depending on cruiseline) the price is relatively fixed but the extras make the difference. And sometimes, I just go with known good service, rather than try to save a few bucks for possibly not as good service. There's really no magic bullet. Some people prefer to walk in to a local agency and meet face to face; others prefer just booking online without contact with an agent; and others book by best price. I'm sure there are many other scenerios that I've left out, but you get the picture. Sorry that we can't recommend one that we've had good service from but many of those advertise on CC so try those first.

Joe, sorry if my post was confusing. I guess all I was trying to say is that you don't necessarily need an agent to book a great cruise. I've never booked online directly with a cruise line as they could not do any better price wise then online agencies.

Yes, I base my cruise purchase on price. I've done my homework, I know what to expect from my cruise and it all boils down to price. What works for me may not work for others. I live minutes from Port Everglades and Port of Miami so for me my needs for booking are minimal.

Seems that an agent that you have nearly 7x24 access. I have read stories of folks who have problems and their agent is not around or open to rectify the issue timely. And the cruiseline will only deal with the travel agent, so you can't rectify problems yourself.

Seems that booking directly with the cruiseline may be a good way to go as you can talk to them, ask them questions, get hold of them 7x24.

An agency that is really a heavy hitter with the cruise line helps. After our last cruise,the agent wrote the line with a complaint about an experience we had and got us a substantial cruise credit,which I doubt we would have seen had we written ourselves. On our next cruise we got an upgrade shortly after booking. He also has been on the ships,the land tours and can describe the location of every cabin. There are no web bargains on this line,so it really doesn't cost extra to use the agent.

One my first two cruises I used an agent. Didn't really know any better. I was glad I did because it helped this first timer learn a few things before finding cruise critic. Our next two cruises I have booked on my own.

Here are my tips:

1. Do your homework. (check web pricing)

2. If you are looking at getting an agent ask lots of questions. (how long they have been an agent?, how many cruises they been on?, what line and why they chose that line?, what charges they charge (ie. cancelllation, changes, ect.) Do they offer any "extras" when booking with them? (ie. on board credits) If you are interested in an online agency really do your homework and ask questions. Get them to send lititure to you. How quickly do they respond to e-mails or call you back? How long have they been doing service over the internet.

3. Word of mouth recommendations (those are the best)

4. DO NOT let anyone talk you into flying in the same day your ship leaves dock. Airlines can cause a major stress wth delays and that is something you don't need on a vacation. Sure it may cost an extra night in a hotel but that is much better than worrying about if you will make it to the dock on time.

Go to a couple of agencies and get lititure (on and offline). Talk to an agent. It doesn't cost anything to just talk and get a quote. Use that information do help you do more home work. Don't forget about flights, insurance and hotels when looking to book things yourself.

Remember, this is YOUR vacation so make sure it is what YOU want and not what an agent wants.

One my first two cruises I used an agent. Didn't really know any better. I was glad I did because it helped this first timer learn a few things before finding cruise critic. Our next two cruises I have booked on my own.

Here are my tips:

1. Do your homework. (check web pricing)

2. If you are looking at getting an agent ask lots of questions. (how long they have been an agent?, how many cruises they been on?, what line and why they chose that line?, what charges they charge (ie. cancelllation, changes, ect.) Do they offer any "extras" when booking with them? (ie. on board credits) If you are interested in an online agency really do your homework and ask questions. Get them to send lititure to you. How quickly do they respond to e-mails or call you back? How long have they been doing service over the internet.

3. Word of mouth recommendations (those are the best)

4. DO NOT let anyone talk you into flying in the same day your ship leaves dock. Airlines can cause a major stress wth delays and that is something you don't need on a vacation. Sure it may cost an extra night in a hotel but that is much better than worrying about if you will make it to the dock on time.

Go to a couple of agencies and get lititure (on and offline). Talk to an agent. It doesn't cost anything to just talk and get a quote. Use that information do help you do more home work. Don't forget about flights, insurance and hotels when looking to book things yourself.

Remember, this is YOUR vacation so make sure it is what YOU want and not what an agent wants.

Wow! Thanks for the tips... but I do have a few questions for you. I am under the impression that agents working for big agencies can save me money. Is this true or not true??

Also, from what I understand, you recommend that I contact multiple agents and request quotes, talk, get literature from them to do research etc. then book it myself essentially abusing them and their knowledge/profession by cutting them out of the loop (as I understand most work on commission)??

If that's what you're recommending, I would feel terrible about doing that. It's just not right. If I didn't need the services of an agent and felt the price and knowledge/service offered was sufficient from the cruise line directly, then I wouldn't be looking for an agent.

Also, from what I understand, you recommend that I contact multiple agents and request quotes, talk, get literature from them to do research etc. then book it myself essentially abusing them and their knowledge/profession by cutting them out of the loop (as I understand most work on commission)??

If that's what you're recommending, I would feel terrible about doing that. It's just not right. If I didn't need the services of an agent and felt the price and knowledge/service offered was sufficient from the cruise line directly, then I wouldn't be looking for an agent.

THANK YOU! :) :) :)

I am under the impression that agents working for big agencies can save me money. Is this true or not true??

I believe agents only make 10% of the commisionable portion of the trip which is probably about 2/3rds the price you pay... so commision on a $900 may only be $60. And I believe some of the bigger agencies purchase blocks of rooms in advance for a better price and resale them to you... and may or may not pass on any price break they receive for this.

Find a price point you like and purchase your cruise. I guarentee you that there will always be someone who gets a better deal than you did. That's life. And if you want to tick people off, tell them you purchased your cruise for less than you actually did and watch their faces drop... :eek:

Wow! Thanks for the tips... but I do have a few questions for you. I am under the impression that agents working for big agencies can save me money. Is this true or not true??

Sure agents can save you money. I was not recommending that you talk to them and not use them. Sorry if it sounded that way. You have to decide whether or not thier offer is really the best for you (by doing research) and decide accordingly. Also with knowledge of what current prices are (homework/research)when you talk to them you can ask why thier price might be higher than what you can get on your own. They may have special perks that you can not get on your own.

Also remember that most agents will only guarantee a quote for 24 hours. A few may do it a little longer. Prices go up and down all the time.

Another question to ask is: If I find a price lower than the one you (agent) quoted can you match or beat it? Will there be a charge for the change?

I am sorry if I offended anyone here that might be a TA. It is just my experience in dealing with a few agencies that sometimes what seems like a great deal to begin with really isn't when looking at the whole picture. Such as these fees below.

e-ticket issue/reissue (cash, check, credit card) $35*

e-ticket issue/reissue (accounts receivable) $40*

Free tickets (e.g. frequent flyer or companion ticket)$35

Delivery fee $5

Overnight delivery fee (continental U.S.) $10

Overnight Saturday delivery (continental U.S.) $20

24 hour emergency service (per phone call) $20

Visa processing (per person) $25

International fax or phone call $5

Airport trip $25

Prepaid Ticket $35

Consolidator ticket No charge

e-ticket from reservation made on website $15

e-ticket booked on airline's website $25

Bereavement $35*

Groups of 10 or more, same PNR $20 each

Car rental No charge in conjunction with air ticket

Hotel reservation No charge in conjunction with air ticket

Split paper or e-tickets $35 + $10 each additional ticket

*Family Discount 2 on PNR, each $25, 3 or more on PNR, each $20

Above are some of the fees that could be incurred if you use an agency. Another piece of research for you. Use the prices on as examples. Prices vary by agency. Also don't forget about airline fees for changes.

Yes, I have paid more for a few trips than I could have by doing it myself by going through an agency but I considered it an asset at the time. I didn't have the time to deal with some of the headaches of planning it myself.

I believe agents only make 10% of the commisionable portion of the trip which is probably about 2/3rds the price you pay... so commision on a $900 may only be $60.

And I believe some of the bigger agencies purchase blocks of rooms in advance for a better price and resale them to you... and may or may not pass on any price break they receive for this.

Ten Percent is the bare minimum that a travel agency earns. A TA will not tell you what commission level they are at, but if one makes only 10% they are not selling very many cruises. Commission levels can go to 16% and over based on what consortium an agency belongs to.

Travel agencies hold group space rather than purchasing cabins outright unless they do a ship charter (~$1,000,000.00 minimum).

#1: Service

#2: Service

#3: Service

Service would be the number one feature you would look for in an agent, not discounts. You get what you pay for. And it's not like they can really give you a deep discount.

For example, the 10% to 16% commission does not really allow much wiggle-room for agents to discount much... at least enough to Wooo-Hooo someone.

Lets take a seemingly best case scenerio... a $900 pp booking ($1800 total). Let's say the commisionable amount is 2/3rds of that amount and the agent is HOT and is earning a 16% commission. That is a $192 commission. Lets say this agent is generous and allots to rebate $100 back to the cruiser.

Shaving $50 off per person to get a sale doesn't sound like an advantage to an agent... and not a huge incentive to the buyer as it's really not that much of a discount to the buyer. Also, the person that would go to this agent would likely not come back as a repeat client as they are more interested in price-points than service the agent may be able to provide.

And I would think this kind of a client would be a bigger pain in the patutie... bothering the agent more than it is worth to the agent for the commission he will make.

An agency does have overhead to run their business... it's not like they can afford to be deep discounting.

The differential, then, has to be servicing their clients... and keeping them as return clients.

Therefore, Service would be the number one feature you would look for in an agent, not discounts. Remember, you get what you pay for.

One that works FULL time.(I do have one that gave me her home phone number, and even called me from Kona when she was on vacation herself)

Has cruised on different lines, so can tell you which will suit you best.

HONESTY.quotes real price you wil have to pay, not non available cabins minus all the taxes, port fees, and most of all the agency CANCELLATION fees.

Instance recently an ad in the local paper, had a great cruise at a great price until I actually asked questions, then advertised price was "all sold out for that cat of cabin, you will need to upgrade","you are a solo, oh well then the cost will be 250% of advertised price" "Deposit $1400 now, yes the line does charge $450 but we require $1400 from solo travellers" "Cancellation fee, well once you have paid your deposit, you face a penality of $500 no matter how early you cancel"

I am not kidding this really happened just 10 days ago.Of course I did not book with that agency, oh and by the way, they wanted cash or cheque made out to them, not the cruise line!!!!!!!! No credit card

I don't really have a ranking for them, but the three things I look for are:

1. TOTAL price - An agency may charge a booking and/or cancellation fee, but if they charge a $35 cancellation fee, and their price is $50/pp less than the other guy, they're still cheaper.

2. Past experience/word of mouth - I've used the same TA for my last two cruises. The first time, they were by far the lowest (by $200-$300/pp), but the second time, they weren't. I used them again because of service - they returned my calls promptly, answered my questions, and were extremely friendly, even when I changed my cabin 5 times only to end up cancelling and rebooking a different cruise (which ended up working out better for them as the new cruise cost me $1000 more).

3. Service - see above example.

I have been under the impression that unless you book directly with the cruiseline, you are always using a travel agent. An online agency is still a travel agent, right? I prefer not to book directly through the crusiline because they are known for poor service and actually cost more than an online TA.

I tend to shop around for price first, after investigating what cruise I would like to take. I have taken advantage of a couple of email specials in the past. I'm also one who doesn't need a lot of hand holding during the process, so I'm fine with an online agent.

But, my niece is planning a wedding/cruise next summer and wanted my advice. The first thing I told her to do was to find a good local travel agent. For first time cruisers, group cruises, family reunion cruises, so many more instances a good travel agent is invaluable.

I have an aunt who still uses a TA for air tickets, even though I've booked air for her online at substantial savings a couple of times, even though she has gotten up the nerve a couple of times to call the airline herself. She is more comfortable paying the extra $50-100 (yes, it has been that much more!) for a paper ticket from a travel agent. She even worries that the shuttle van won't know where her airline gate is if she varies from her beloved United Airlines (the fact is, she won't know where it is!). So, you cannot argue with some people regarding price, they would rather spend $50 for someone to make that 3 minute phone call for them!

The same thing goes for people who book air/transfers/hotel through the TA/cruiseline. You can save several hundred $$ doing these things for yourself, but many don't have the nerve to attempt it. It's too bad, you read the horror stories about these arrangements all the time. Before any of the TAs get their hackles up about that statement, I would say it's not the TAs fault, more the cruiseline. Thank goodness the first cruise I took I had a TA who was more interested in my pocketbook to steer me away from some of those choices and helped guide me through the process. Unfortunately, the next time I looked for him, he wasn't there anymore :( .

My answer would be:

#1 price

#2 extra fees

#3 past experience with prior online TA

The number one thing that I look for in a TA, is one that answers my bloody phone messages! I have called three times, and still have not heard anything!! I am about to fire my TA, and before the final installment is paid!

the second thing is one that will know all the discounts and be able to see what I am getting at.

and the third....Did i mention one that responds to my questions?

The number one thing that I look for in a TA, is one that answers my bloody phone messages! I have called three times, and still have not heard anything!! I am about to fire my TA, and before the final installment is paid!

Yep... I agree... 7x24 availability. That is why I prefer to book with the cruise directly. They are always staffed.

You have more patience than I do... I would have moved on by now. #1 is service.

Archived