Chef's Table Question

Etexvrc

We personally loved the Chef's Table. My husband is a meat and potato type guy and I was a bit nervous on how he would react. I was pleasantly surprised that he enjoyed it so we made other reservations.. .It is up to every guest to form their own opinion and not go in with a preconceived idea that someone didn't like it. We know that everyone has different wants,expectations and taste.

I guess what is truly bothering me is that the OP stated he/she toughed it out for 1 1/2 meals and to me that means he left in the middle of a meal. It shocks me that someone would do that. If anything, go grab a bite to eat at the World Cafe afterwards.

You always have such good advice.

We personally loved the Chef's Table. My husband is a meat and potato type guy and I was a bit nervous on how he would react. I was pleasantly surprised that he enjoyed it so we made other reservations. If a hearty meal is what you want and expect don't go but don't bash the place. It just isn't your cup of tea. Personally, we didn't enjoy Manfredi's but we never said a thing to anyone up until now. We quietly didn't make another reservation. It is up to every guest to form their own opinion and not go in with a preconceived idea that someone didn't like it. We know that everyone has different wants,expectations and taste.

I guess what is truly bothering me is that the OP stated he/she toughed it out for 1 1/2 meals and to me that means he left in the middle of a meal. It shocks me that someone would do that. If anything, go grab a bite to eat at the World Cafe afterwards.

We also were less enthusiastic about Manfredi's. Perhaps it was just our super high expectations based on what we had heard in advance. We do plan to go again during our second ocean cruise this fall, and try something different on the menu.

We did enjoy our two meals in the Chef's Table very much. And our meals in The Restaurant. And the World Cafe. Hmmm, I think I see a pattern.

We also were less enthusiastic about Manfredi's. Perhaps it was just our super high expectations based on what we had heard in advance. We do plan to go again during our second ocean cruise this fall, and try something different on the menu.

We did enjoy our two meals in the Chef's Table very much. And our meals in The Restaurant. And the World Cafe. Hmmm, I think I see a pattern.

LOL, I see it, too.

I also will have to give Manfredi's another try. Our entrees were lasagne which was dry with overcooked chopped meat and no bechamel sauce and the other entree was swordfish that was tough and dry with no sauce. I guess we have to ask for other recommendations but we usually don't eat steak. Interestingly, some nights the World Cafe had amazingly varied and delicious food so we now check out those offerings on several occasions. We tried to get into the Chef's Table on the last night of our cruise which had a menu that we wanted to try but it was the only night in 14 that had a menu that appealed to us and there were no reservations available. On our next cruise we will be sure to try the Chef's Table at least once.

We tried the Scandinavian menu at Chef's Table and did not like at all though we like Scandinavian food in general. I was hungry afterwards and went up to Mamsens. They have cold cut plates and some desserts and other things fairly late in the evening (I think I went after the show). We will try Chef's table again this summer but I will pick differently-not Asian or Scandinavian.

If you think those shows were good, you may find that shows on other cruises are several times better , and more enjoyable. No kidding.

Um no.

First the topic under discussion here is the Chefs Table. Secondly, there seems to be a group of people here and on Facebook (I suspect they are many of the same people) who are determined to convince the rest of us that we NEED to be entertained.

I can’t speak for the others but I don’t think I’m in the minority. For us, what Viking offers is perfectly fine. We do not need fancy shows. If we did, we would sail on those other lines instead of Viking.

You select the line that fits your personal agenda, you don’t try to remodel one that doesn’t into something you want. That’s why there are so many different cruise lines - so everyone can find their niche, their happy place.

That said, I’ll return to the subject of this discussion. I don’t think the Chefs Table works for us. I’d try it but I think my husband would hate it. There are other choices for meals so, we will skip the Chefs Table and I’m sure we will be fine.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I do hope that Viking will be able to maintain the identity that they chose for their cruise line. We found it absolutely delightful. If others prefer cruise lines with more classes, more shows, more activities packed in the day, those are already available. Isn't it possible that there is a place for a low key, conversation driven, history and culture focused cruise line?

It is the same with the Chef's Table. If that venue is not your cup of tea, there are several other excellent places to have your meals on board. One of our two meals there was really exceptional, and the other was good. We enjoyed the experience both times.

If Viking discovers over time that there are not enough passengers looking for the enviromnent that we so enjoyed, then the market will dictate some changes.For the time being, I hope they will continue as they have begun.

Precisely, a reflection of my thoughts. No one is forcing people to sail on Viking either. There are many lines to choose from that might fit the needs of those complaining about Viking.

I belong to a number of Viking groups and, while I haven’t taken a formal poll, the general consensus is that Viking is pretty much filled the bill for the majority of their customers. There are just a very vocal few who want to change things. It really is about environment and the kind of changes this group wants will change that environment.

I suspect Viking is hearing from their base in feedback and they know that most are happy with the current direction.

Precisely, a reflection of my thoughts. No one is forcing people to sail on Viking either. There are many lines to choose from that might fit the needs of those complaining about Viking.

I belong to a number of Viking groups and, while I haven’t taken a formal poll, the general consensus is that Viking is pretty much filled the bill for the majority of their customers. There are just a very vocal few who want to change things. It really is about environment and the kind of changes this group wants will change that environment.

I suspect Viking is hearing from their base in feedback and they know that most are happy with the current direction.

After reading your previous post, I was just about to reply that I agree with you completely. But it seems you already know that.;)

I don’t think the Chefs Table works for us. I’d try it but I think my husband would hate it. There are other choices for meals so, we will skip the Chefs Table and I’m sure we will be fine.

Honestly not trying to convince you to try something that you really suspect would not be appealing to you both, but one of the nights we already had reservations at the Chef's Table, we found out that the World Cafe was serving Beef Wellington. That is my husband's favorite single food item, but we didn't want to cancel the Chef's Table. We went to the World Cafe when it opened for an early "appetizer" of Beef Wellington, and then kept our reservation at Chef's Table ninety minutes later. There are ways to work around things!

We personally loved the Chef's Table. My husband is a meat and potato type guy and I was a bit nervous on how he would react. I was pleasantly surprised that he enjoyed it so we made other reservations. If a hearty meal is what you want and expect don't go but don't bash the place. It just isn't your cup of tea. Personally, we didn't enjoy Manfredi's but we never said a thing to anyone up until now. We quietly didn't make another reservation. It is up to every guest to form their own opinion and not go in with a preconceived idea that someone didn't like it. We know that everyone has different wants,expectations and taste.

As the author of the OP, and as a response to the above comments, I should direct you back to my original post and read "caveat #1" and one of the last sentences beginning with, "Again,..." .

But if my comments appeared as "bashing" the Chef's Table, I apologize.

As to your last paragraph, I'm sorry if what I wrote "shocked" you. But rest assure my wife and I have enough dignity not to make an ass of ourselves by leaving our dinning table before the end of the meal. But if I want to end my meal 'early' and leave the restaurant, I believe I've earned that right.

We are on the Orion in September (first time on Viking) and despite all of the negative comments we will definitely give the Chef's Table a try - for us it is all about trying something new.

One question though - I am thinking of taking the Silver Beverage package and wondered how it worked in the Chef's Table a) if we don't have the Silver Package and b) if we do. Is there any benefit? Can I 'upgrade' the wine in CT just for that night? If so how much?

Any opinions welcome - thanks

Honestly not trying to convince you to try something that you really suspect would not be appealing to you both, but one of the nights we already had reservations at the Chef's Table, we found out that the World Cafe was serving Beef Wellington. That is my husband's favorite single food item, but we didn't want to cancel the Chef's Table. We went to the World Cafe when it opened for an early "appetizer" of Beef Wellington, and then kept our reservation at Chef's Table ninety minutes later. There are ways to work around things!

LOL - I would try several of the menus I have seen, but I know my husband wouldn't like it and I don't want to listen to him complaining ;p If I can find someone on our cruise who is interested and someone else who will keep my husband company - that might work!

We are on the Orion in September (first time on Viking) and despite all of the negative comments we will definitely give the Chef's Table a try - for us it is all about trying something new.

One question though - I am thinking of taking the Silver Beverage package and wondered how it worked in the Chef's Table a) if we don't have the Silver Package and b) if we do. Is there any benefit? Can I 'upgrade' the wine in CT just for that night? If so how much?

Any opinions welcome - thanks

Yes, you can do it for just one night. The up sale price was $25 when we sailed. with the Silver spirits package, it's included. Not first hand experience.

As the poster above said the silver spirits package provides automatic upgrade of wines in the Chef's table - we were lucky to have the silver spirits included on our last trip as an "extra" - we were given it to compensate us for a problem on a previous trip with Viking. The wines are a step up but do not think they are hugely special - they are mostly the same upgraded wines with each menu although do have a little variation . They had a very nice red on board and served it at 4 of the 5 meals we ate in the Chef's table. When I came back I looked it up and it cost £10 a bottle at Majestic Wine a well known UK chain! They were definitely better but I am not sure if I would pay the extra if I didn't have the package. The sommelier in the Chef's table is just one of the normal waiting staff who I guess has ben promoted! He was on mini bar duty during the day!!! I hope that helps - we really like The Chef's Table and are looking forward to being back there in the autumn!

You had me at Beef Wellington ! How was it?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I don't think my husband ever met a Beef Wellington he didn't like! Seriously, we've only had it a couple of times, so we are no experts. We just had small portions as it really was a before dinner snack, but it was delicious. I believe it was served in The Restaurant that night as well as the World Cafe. There is usually some overlap of the menus in those two places.