Saw This Article - The Best Day Trips From Reykjavik

Weird article.

#1) Blue Lagoon doesn't have public transit to it, really. At least nothing worth the effort

#3) Visit volcanoes? With pictures of lava? There hasn't been an eruption in Iceland in 2+ years, and there hasn't been a volcano with lava you could see from anything but the air in much longer than that

#4) South Coast trip suggests this is just summer, but the tours are offered all year long

#8) Day trip from Reykjavik to Grimsey is ridiculous. You'd have to book flights and a ferry (both ways). You'd spend 90% of your time in transit and 10% seeing an island that (sorry) isn't nearly as spectacular as the rest of the country is.

Not sure what the point of the article is. I really expected links to a paying tour company, but there isn't even that!

Weird article.

#1) Blue Lagoon doesn't have public transit to it, really. At least nothing worth the effort

#3) Visit volcanoes? With pictures of lava? There hasn't been an eruption in Iceland in 2+ years, and there hasn't been a volcano with lava you could see from anything but the air in much longer than that

#4) South Coast trip suggests this is just summer, but the tours are offered all year long

#8) Day trip from Reykjavik to Grimsey is ridiculous. You'd have to book flights and a ferry (both ways). You'd spend 90% of your time in transit and 10% seeing an island that (sorry) isn't nearly as spectacular as the rest of the country is.

Not sure what the point of the article is. I really expected links to a paying tour company, but there isn't even that!

Thanks for your comments. I guess the part about volcanos has more to do with the thermal activity. I agree, no lava. I should have read the article better.

I do understand why they talk about the south coast trip in the summer. I don't think Iceland is much of a tourist destination in the winter lol

And I don't know anything about Grimsey. Certainly sounds like more than a day trip.

Thanks for setting things straight.

Iceland is pretty crowded in winter, too! We did our own South Coast tour a few years ago which was great until we hit a winter storm and it was then I learned that Iceland gets a different kind of winter storm than we get in New England! We'll do another winter visit in a few years but we'll do tours to see everything safely!

Yes, we did the south coast in winter. It was beautiful, if very different from summer. You can also do the natural ice caves only in winter.

And yes, I questioned Grimsey as well. It's like someone wrote the article without ever actually visiting Iceland.

For volcano enthusiasts, the "Inside the Volcano" tour is pretty cool. It's more of a half-day trip from Reykjavik than a full day, but it definitely ranks among the most memorable tours I've done! Very Jules Verne!

(I'm also surprised that none of the glacier walks made it onto this list!)