Rhine water levels 2018 and similar topics

notamermaid

1 hour ago, Tfaith said:

So so relieved to have the information confirmed!! We leave Wednesday to spend time with friends in Zurich so that would be why we were contacted sooner.  308 will also be immaculate! And thank you again for the feedback!! We are a family of 8 celebrating our daughters beating cancer. Twice. Much to celebrate! Safe travels and enjoy whatever happens! 

What a wonderful reason for an 8-day family celebration! We wish you safe travels; we leave Friday for Koln. (We are on the odd numbered side)

Glad you’re having a great time Mark T. We are in Dubai at the moment and will arrive to Prague in about 10 hours, it has only taken 37 hours, but I’m sure it will be worth it. We meet up with our APT guide tomorrow and will stay with them for the next 17 days so hopefully they’ll have more information for us. We do know that we will be doing the train from Budapest to Vienna, something we really wanted to do.

Dbs944- May I ask what trip insurance you had that doesn't count low water levels as an approved reason for cancelling (unless you have cancel for any reason)? I'm assuming this is if the cruise line didn't cancel, but you yourself wanted to cancel rather than go on buses and stay in hotels? 

7 hours ago, sjde said:

Dbs944- May I ask what trip insurance you had that doesn't count low water levels as an approved reason for cancelling (unless you have cancel for any reason)? I'm assuming this is if the cruise line didn't cancel, but you yourself wanted to cancel rather than go on buses and stay in hotels? 

Does any travel insurance cover for ‘low water’ if the cruise line is still intending to proceed with the cruise?

8 hours ago, sjde said:

I got insurance through USAA - mainly for the medical benefits if something were to happen while out of the country.

They cover 100% of travel costs for certain approved reasons - death/illness in family, loss of job etc.  They cover 75% if I just decide I don't want to go.  We used that for our daughter on our last cruise when she quit her job and couldn't get vacation time in her new one. I did ask them their policy if the cruise gave an option of cancellation or modified cruise with compensation and the reply back made me think they didn't understand the question (like i was asking if I could cancel with full refund if they change itinerary).   I figured if Avalon gives the option, we may take it up and be out 25% of the flights - about $350.  I really don't want to spend $500 per day (each) to ride buses, eat at restaurants and stay in hotels.  I guess it depends on the compensation they will be offering.  Apparently this is what they did for the opposite cruise the week before ours (1 Dec).  

• Thanks 1

It is a grey November day in the valley today. No rain or snow in sight in my area (yet). Just a few days to go before the first Christmas markets start. Traditionally Christmas decorations are only put up after Totensonntag (Sunday of the Dead). This year it is on 25th November. Nowadays some towns just cannot wait that long (commercially) to open the markets (yes, slight criticism intended) and start a few days before. In Germany they have to close on Sunday of the Dead and can reopen the day after.

I walked into a local shop today, one with bakery attached. The place was filled with the aroma of spices, Lebkuchen and Dominosteine lying there ready to be bought and devoured. Bliss! I resisted the temptation, though and am really proud of myself. :classic_biggrin:

Thankfully, the river level at Kaub has not dropped further. Levels are fluctuating at a very low level. Stagnating if you look at the wider picture of 48 hours. The current levels are: Maxau 329cm, Kaub 32cm, Koblenz 32cm. Even 50cm at Kaub seems far away on the graph at the moment. :classic_sad:

The chemical giant BASF at Ludwigshafen has reported a loss due to lowered production and additional logistical costs of 50 million euros, i.e. directly connected to the low water levels, so far. Shell at Wesseling (Cologne) has adjusted production as barges can no longer reach the harbour there. The Swiss government has now also given permission to tap the strategic oil reserves.

I have mentioned groceries before. This is what the drought does as well: https://www.thelocal.de/20181119/drought-causes-potato-prices-to-rise-by-more-than-half-and-they-have-more-flaws

But when you really think about it this is still all "complaining while remaining at a comfortable level of wealth". It hits some harder than others, I feel sorry for those in a force majeure at work situation and especially those that have lost their job, like a couple of ferry employees. They have reason to moan (and cry).

I am sitting in a warm room, heated by gas, not oil, with a functioning computer, am of relatively sound body and mind (apart from posting here, that is a bit mad :classic_wink:) and do not need a car to get to work. I consider myself lucky and if I get into a state of sadness about what is happening to "my" river, well, from Monday onwards I can drown my sorrows in glühwein and ease the pain with lots of Lebkuchen. Yummy!

notamermaid

• Like 2

16 hours ago, pully8 said:

Thanks for the update. Have they told which hotels in Vienna and Budapest?

In Vienna it will be the Marriott, not sure about Budapest yet.

This morning we visited Düsseldorf, and this afternoon we are cruising to Rotterdam from where we will fly to Vienna tomorrow.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sjde said:

Might someone be able to tell me what I’m doing wrong in cruisemapper? I enter my ship name and company and there is no result brought up . Yet someone on this forum had found it once for me on there. 

Try one of the other ship tracker sites:

https://www.marinetraffic.com/

https://www.fleetmon.com/

https://www.vesselfinder.com/

http://www.shiptraffic.net/2016/04/rivers-ship-traffic.html

Based on my possible revised itinerary, we are to leave Basel on the Amastella on Dec 3. On marinetraffic.com, I am watching the Amastella now head from Basel toward Strasbourg, but I think it HAS TURNED AROUND at Breisach and is heading to Basel. Can someone look at that and confirm that is what I am seeing? If it is, it is bad news. That means we will going from Strasbourg to Antwerp, bypassing all of Germany. 

57 minutes ago, hbr777 said:

Based on my possible revised itinerary, we are to leave Basel on the Amastella on Dec 3. On marinetraffic.com, I am watching the Amastella now head from Basel toward Strasbourg, but I think it HAS TURNED AROUND at Breisach and is heading to Basel. Can someone look at that and confirm that is what I am seeing? If it is, it is bad news. That means we will going from Strasbourg to Antwerp, bypassing all of Germany. 

Look at the date/time group of the position update-the last time I looked at Marine traffic it had not updated Amastella's position since 13 November-at which time it was headed back to Basel.  unless you have an account I do not believe you get the most current information. Also, even if it has turned around there may be extenuating circumstances. the Most recent update on cruisetracker which was early this morning showed it enroute from Basel to Breisach. 

39 minutes ago, hbr777 said:

Fear not! I have been tracking the Viking boats, and noticed the Amastella moving between Brasach and Strasbourg. It said it was updated two minutes ago ...

I’ve noticed the location of the boats can at times be delayed.

My journey starts from Basel on Nov 30, we were originally on the Viking Eir, which is presently moored in Cologne and has been the last few days. No idea now which Viking boat we will start on now, but have been prewarned of the likelihood of a ship swap and motor coach journeys. I’m presently expecting we will cruise to Strasbourg at least, and then bus trips for excursions on the way to Cologne, where we will hopefully meet up finally with the  Eir and cruise up to Amsterdam. 

We are still a week out from our trip, so anything is possible, but we plan to make the most and enjoy it whatever happens.

To put it in perspective, the locals appear to be doing it tough and in a far worse predicament presently, with lack of heating oil and supplies ...

10 hours ago, Mark_T said:

This morning we visited Düsseldorf, and this afternoon we are cruising to Rotterdam from where we will fly to Vienna tomorrow.

thanks mark appreciate your updates.

12 hours ago, Mark_T said:

Hi Mark_T, thanks for your updates!

We've been watching your river cruise trajectory on AmaVenita with quite a bit of trepidation, regarding our own upcoming trip.

There's a nifty, pale blue tab on MarineTraffic called "Past Track" (halfway down the first page).  It shows that AmaVenita has recently been basically retracing the path from the start of your cruise.  Is that correct?

https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/details/ships/269057515

Is there no ship-swap for Vienna so you guys can cruise a bit of the Danube at least?  Or are you only staying in a hotel?  Do you get the little train trip via Salzburg, or is that gone too?  Then a train trip to Budapest to stay in another hotel?

Our friends had spoken so highly of the A to B river cruise with APT, which is why we booked this trip.  They can hardly believe their ears about what has happened to the river.  😞

• Like 1

The Saltzburg trip is not happening, but we are taking the same train from Vienna to Budapest.

Although the ship is heading back towards Amsterdam ready for the next group when they fly in, we have not been repeating any stops other than this final one in Rotterdam today.

When I get a few minutes I’ll post our full actual itinerary.

• Like 1

HI All, I have been following this thread with great interest. Thanks everyone for your valuable input. My wife and I are scheduled to take our first River Cruise on Dec 10th. We are doing a Christmas Market cruise with Gate 1 on the Monarch Empress. It is scheduled to go from Frankfurt to Amsterdam. The ship is currently on the Danube doing a Passau to Budapest 7-day cruise and then returning to Passau the following week. It is then scheduled to do a Christmas Market cruise from Regensburg to Frankfurt.

I have a couple of questions for those in the know. As of right now is it even possible to get from Passau to Frankfurt. And if it can, is the Rhine Gorge passable for a 110 m ship. I have checked with Gate 1 who say at this time there is no planned changes to our itinerary. Thanks.

1 hour ago, newbrunswicker said:

HI All, I have been following this thread with great interest. Thanks everyone for your valuable input. My wife and I are scheduled to take our first River Cruise on Dec 10th. We are doing a Christmas Market cruise with Gate 1 on the Monarch Empress. It is scheduled to go from Frankfurt to Amsterdam. The ship is currently on the Danube doing a Passau to Budapest 7-day cruise and then returning to Passau the following week. It is then scheduled to do a Christmas Market cruise from Regensburg to Frankfurt.

I have a couple of questions for those in the know. As of right now is it even possible to get from Passau to Frankfurt. And if it can, is the Rhine Gorge passable for a 110 m ship. I have checked with Gate 1 who say at this time there is no planned changes to our itinerary. Thanks.

Currently the Danube between Passau to Regensburg and the Rhine Gorge are both unpassable, Regensburg to Frankfurt is fine. 10th. December is still some way off, too early to give any predictions as to river levels.

Edited by G.M.T.

Hello newbrunswicker,

as G.M.T. has just informed you, the current situation is bad for river cruising, even for the Monarch Empress. But there is a glimmer of hope as the Monarch Empress is, as you said, 110m long. Were she to be in the Rhine gorge today there is a slight chance she could make it. It is theoretical but you can track a ship on marinetraffic.com that is trying its best: https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/details/ships/shipid:330463/mmsi:269057512/imo:0/vessel:JANE_AUSTEN

The Jane Austen is 110m long and her signal has been lost going past Spay upstream towards Rüdesheim. Click on the link "past track". Do it again in a few hours and also see where her blue marker on the map reappears. If she reappears near Rüdesheim she is through, if she reappears near Koblenz she double-backed, probably after a stop at St. Goarshausen. Up to that point the Rhine gorge is passable for smaller ships. Where it ends as regards size of ship I cannot say; as all international ships that usually interest us are 105m and longer we can in all respect call the Rhine gorge impassable.

The stretch on the Danube that is impassable is virtually impossible to check out on marinetraffic as signals are lost for a long stretch and port arrivals and departures have not helped, I find.

For the future, and your cruise is still a few days out for your ship to get where it needs to be, we need a higher level at Pfelling on the Danube, but how much of an advantage the Monarch Queen has over the large ships we will need to see. Perhaps, if she is in the right place at the right time on the Danube... For the Rhine she could just have that little less draft to get her through the gorge before the other ships can...

But, again, depending on rain - and there are still some days that could bring us some till 8 December - your worries could disappear and you will have the cruise intended.

At this point in time, i think it is reasonable for your river cruise company to not anticipate changes. Give it a week and try to track the Monarch Queen. By that time things might be clearer and according to the weather forecast it will have rained.

notamermaid

No change to the situation today. The river levels: Maxau 317cm, Kaub 32cm, Koblenz 31cm. I cannot see this changing for the better for some days to come. Rain (and snow) forecast is not too promising. First we need to get through a couple of dry days. After that it does not look too good. I try to put it in words. Precipitation for the Rhine area South of Cologne: today virtually none, tomorrow none. Friday a little, Saturday a fair amount throughout, Sunday little in most areas with no cover of the whole area, Monday fair to good cover of the whole area. All in all that is not enough to keep a rising level going for more than a couple of days. I hope the weather people err on the amount and there will be a bit more than the colour chart suggests.

Naturally, the levels are low on the lower Rhine again as well. Here are some navigation channel depths (these figures are good on paper only and will not be the same throughout an entire river stretch): Maxau 158cm, Kaub 144cm, Koblenz 163cm, Cologne 192cm, Emmerich 210cm.

notamermaid

When we were on the day boat from St. Goar a few days ago we were told that even those ships were having problems sailing much further upstream from there.

I hope that changes in the near future, but right now it is hard to see where the water is going to come from.

For the 135m ships even Koblenz is a problem right now so accessing the Mosel is at risk as well...

Mark_T,

thanks for reporting again. Yes, I have heard that even the larger excursion boats are suffering. Despite one might think they have a substantial draft. Hence the fact that the large Goethe has not been sailing for months. I suspect going round the bend at Deutsches Eck is the problem for the large river cruise ships. Although the Moselle is regulated by locks, the last 500m or so are free-flowing towards the mouth of the river and that would make the Moselle prone to low water just as much as the Rhine. Not sure, but I assume that is why there is a problem accessing the Moselle.

I am impressed that APT in conjunction with the rail operator has been able to find a slot for the train on the other route so that you can join it.

Have a good flight.

Edit: I have just seen you are in Vienna now. Got the timing wrong, hope Vienna and the concert are very enjoyable.

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid
correction

30 minutes ago, newbrunswicker said:

Thanks GMT and Notamermaid for your replies.It does appear that the Jane Austen has made it through as it looks like it is nearing Mainz at the moment. Now if only levels on the Danube would rise so the Monarch Empress can get to Regensburg. Here's hoping.

That is good to read. I have just had a look and the Jane Austen is already on the Main now which suggests to me she is travelling without passengers, not having stopped in Rüdesheim. Passengers or not, she is through! Likewise I have just spotted the River Princess (110m) approaching Koblenz so she has been through the Rhine gorge this afternoon as is evident by her recent track. Very good.

It is possible then at 34cm at Kaub, albeit slowly and possibly without passengers, less drinking water and less fuel.

Not sure that I can call that impassable now...

notamermaid