Best least expensive medical and evacuation insurance

jeanine

I have bought Roam Right that I got from insuremytrip.com but fortunately I have never had to use them. I did book a tour that included travel insurance (Travelax or Travelex) for the entire group. I had an injury and had to cancel before the trip and the company reimbursed my full amount, which included hotel bills and a flight prior to the tour beginning. There was a maximum amount they would reimburse but I found them quite reasonable. I don't know if this company insures individuals but I would look at them in the future used upon my prior experience.

Lynn

Believe Stan't post is completely clear in that it is a warning that "typical" policies have the wording he mentioned. Absolutely no allusion to Nationwide's policy for that item ast all. There is absolutely no way to know the clauses in any policy without actually reading them as clauses can be added to and deleted from any basic policy. So, simply providing the exact name or number of a policy will not tell you what clauses are included or not included.which was said very clearly in Stan's post in that you actually "have to read the fine print" and the entire policy to know what is there.

Thanks, Makes it much clearer. I would need an expert to read all the fine print is most of these policy's But my TA is pretty good at it. Will have to get her a copy of Nationwide's to see if it makes any sense.

The terms and conditions for medevac insurance are very complicated. Watch out!

As you consider medevac insurance, here are some questions you might want to think about:

Do you have to already be in a hospital or will they transport you straight from the ship?

Will they take you home to a hospital of your choice or will they take you to the nearest medical facility that they determine can treat you?

Do you have to go from one hospital to another? Is one of the conditions that you have to have been admitted (rather than held for observation) at the hospital at the port city?

Cruise Critic has a board dealing with travel insurance. It is full of great information.

The typical rider reads something along the lines of "If a required medical service is not offered at or near the location of the medical incident" transport will be provided to the closest place where it is. .

Most people want a policy which will get them "home", wherever that may be.

Agree. Also important is to have their own physician decide when and where transfer should be.

Medjet does defer to personal physicians, not an insurance company bean counter.

We vary what we buy for insurance, dependent on area risk and personal risk. If we want a comprehensive policy we go to the Trip Insurance Store...we can talk to a very knowledgeable broker and get personal advise from the experts there...which is not just some lackey minding the call center.

Lately, we have been depending on the Sapphire Insurance benefits, coupled with GeoBlue. But, personal risks have changed, so we will probably be be giving Steve at the Trip Insurance Store a call.

Lately, we have been depending on the Sapphire Insurance benefits, coupled with GeoBlue. But, personal risks have changed, so we will probably be be giving Steve at the Trip Insurance Store a call.

Keep in mind that the insurance offered by Sapphire card is CANCELLATION only - not INTERRUPTION.

Hence, once you start your trip and get sick on day 2 - you are no longer covered for the cost of lost trip

Keep in mind that the insurance offered by Sapphire card is CANCELLATION only - not INTERRUPTION.

Hence, once you start your trip and get sick on day 2 - you are no longer covered for the cost of lost trip

We only viewed the Sapphire as “nice to have” and we were willing to underwrite shortfalls, given low risks. Risks have changed for us.

As for area risk, we did buy Medjet annual last year...we won’t need that this year. But, everyone has to assess their personal risk. We used to buy cancel for any reason for cheap mass market cruises when we had very elderly parents and the likelihood of cancellation was very, very high.