Amazon Cruise and Mosquitos

lhamilton

While we didn't use VO for our Amazon trip I can answer your question: You should always give yourself a spray regardless as there are mosquitos around, so it just makes sense. They are exceptionally heavy in the evenings so spray is a definite must have before any evening excursions. Eastern Mountain Sports sells a brand of spray that also makes wipes, which are REALLY convenient for touch ups or to give to someone who forgot to spray. We took Aqua Amazon and they had spray available complimentary 24/7.

Thanks! Do we need it aboard ship?

Linda

While we didn't use VO for our Amazon trip I can answer your question: You should always give yourself a spray regardless as there are mosquitos around, so it just makes sense. They are exceptionally heavy in the evenings so spray is a definite must have before any evening excursions. Eastern Mountain Sports sells a brand of spray that also makes wipes, which are REALLY convenient for touch ups or to give to someone who forgot to spray. We took Aqua Amazon and they had spray available complimentary 24/7.

Linda

What part of the Amazon will you be on?

The main river, from the Atlantic Ocean heading west, you should not need repellent when on the ship. The acidity of the river water deters them.

As you travel the smaller tributaries, the game changes. As already mentioned here, they are worse at night.

Make sure your repellent contains Deet. You can also purchase a solution that you can use to treat your clothing ahead of time. It lasts for several washings and we found it at Cabella’s. (Sp?). That large spray bottle will treat multiple outfits (shirt, slacks, and socks)

We sprayed our “Amazon” hats with regular repellent before each outing, because we did not think to treat them ahead of time.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Linda

If you are inside? No. Ours was air tight, although you did have to go outside to get from one section to another, but that took 3-5 seconds. We were also on a "side river" so my understanding is there are more bugs that on the main Amazon. We also wore long sleeve shirts on our daily excursions on the skiffs (so there was always a breeze) with the sleeves rolled up. Don't forget, in addition to bugs you have to be careful about the sun too - it's very strong! As someone else mentioned a hat that shades your face and the back of the neck is essential (think soft safari hat).

We took an Amazon Cruise and went 1,000 miles up the Amazon.

Different cruise line.

As background mosquitos love me.

If 1 out of 100 people gets strung it will be me.

With that said no problems at all on the ship and in ports which are really cities such a Manaus.

If you are going inland on an excursion I would highly recommend spraying yourself to be on the safe side.

Also we do have clothing that lasts for something like 100 washes that has repellent on it already.

It is an amazing river and far different then I expected.

I hope you enjoy the trip.

Keith

Agree with Keith's comments.

We were on an Amazon cruise this past November/December, on a different cruise line. We didn't have any issues with mosquitoes, although we were prepared. We used the Repel brand wipes. We found them to be more convenient that sprays.

We did not apply the repellant while on the ship, just when we went ashore to more remote locations, such as jungle walks and river boat excursions.