Menu Exceptional in Ocean Liners.

Schplinky

CFPrunner - there are fewer options per course on the Menu Exceptionelle than the a la carte menu, and the wines are pre-paired with those specific choices. The sommeliers don't have much discretion to offer wines other than the specific paired choices, but they are consistently good pairings.

We've just noticed since my partner is vegetarian, so we have to ask them to prepare six veggie courses for him (off-menu) to match my six courses, and some sommeliers are more flexible than others in making appropriate pairings. We usually end up suggesting appropriate pairings as we go along.

Enjoy!

At the food choices pre-selected for this option or do they just pair wines based on the entrees you order?

I do have the copy of the menu from the Ocean Liner ( I was there a week ago).

Here is the copy:

Menu Exceptionnel

Lobster Veloute

A creamy lobster broth

Chardonnay, Hamilton-Russet Vineyards, Walker Bay, 2003

OR

Pumpkin Soup

Topped with a light curry-flavored cream

Sauvlgnon Blanc, Delatite Winery, Victoria, Australia, 2004

Escalope of Foie Gras, Sauce Citrus

Pan-fried minute foie gras presented with a fruity sauce and garnished with orange segments

Piespoter Goldtopchen Riesling, Spatlese, Leonard Kreusch, 2003

OR

Goat Cheese Souffle' with Tomato Coulis

Delicate warm goat cheese souffle with a creamy sauce and tomato coulis

Sauvignon Blanc, Cakebread Cellars, Rutheford, Napa Valley, 2002

Granite of Passion Fruit and White Rum

A delightful refreshing intermezzo

Fillet of Sole Souffle, Lobster Mousse

Fillets of sole filled with a light lobster mousse gently poached and served with a mandarin sauce

Chardonnay, Meursault, Louis Jadot, Burgundy, 2001

OR

Rack of Lamb en Croute

Rack of lamb coated with a mushroom duxelles wrapped in a puff pastry and baked until golden

Reserve de la Comtesse, Chateau Pichon Longueville, Comtesse de Lalande, Pauillac, 1999

A Selection of Three Cheeses served with Apples, Grapes and Walnut Bread

Graham Malvedos

Souffle Grand Marnier

A light fluffy full-flavored Grand Marnier souffle with a hint of fresh mango

Royal Tokaji Blue Label 5 Puttonyos, 1999

OR

Michel Roux's Favorite Bite-Size Surprise Desserts

A selection of four of Mr. Roux's mouth-watering desserts

Muscat de Beaume de Venise, M. Chapoutier, Rhona Valley, 2000

Coffee and Petits Fours

Portions are smaller than the 'a la Carte menu'.

I do have rest of the menu as well.

Wes

Does anyone know what the Menu Exceptional costs? It's the one where you get wine pairings with each course.

We were there a week ago: we had a choice of the 'old' menu or the Exceptioneel - for the same price, if no wine was selected. Portions are different.

Additional $27.00 (or $27.50) was charged if their choice of the selected wines is chosen. We had a table for two. We did order from the Exceptioneel menu and ordered one bottle of wine of our choice. Charge was 30 p/p plus the price and tip for the wine.

I do have copy of the menu.

Wes

I cruised on the Summit in Sept and the two of us had the pleasure of enjoying dinner in the Normandie restaraunt. My other half does not enjoy wine and the Maite D said it was no problem for only one person to have the wine pairing. He did make it seem like we were the only person on the planet he had ever done this for. I honestly felt he was merely working me for a larger tip, which I gladly gave them for a memorable meal and dining experience. One thing to remember the first check they ask you to sign for is just for the wine purchase only, then they bring the check for the dinner. I can hardly wait for dinner in the Constellation's Ocean Liners..

Happy Cruising

Gary Jan 28th

• 2 weeks later...

We have previously been to Normandie & Ocean Liners & were thinking of not going back next time based on the been there done that theory--but this may be a nice new twist to the idea....Seems like a good value as I recall that the bottle of wine we purchased at dinner was a bit on the pricey side..

No question that the food, ambiance & service are top notch!

Quote:

Originally Posted by emcee207

the portions are smaller than the regular menu.

I wonder why?

I wonder why?

emcee if you do not mind, I will answer it from my perspective and please also address it from yours.

six- course in Exceptionnel ........smaller portions

four-course in A la Carte........... larger portions

same price without wine

either choice will fill you up.......but if you really like 'Goat Cheese Souffle'.........the 'larger portion' - is really larger..........and both wife and I, like this particular dish, so next time it will be A la Carte for us.........and we did have it both ways.

On the other hand if one wants the wines choosen by Mr. M.A. Roux.......Exceptionnel is another option.

Wes

Wes,

Up to here I was convinced that the additional price for the menu exceptional was worth the return. The wine pairings almost always delivered that "third flavor" when the food and wines compliment each other. Not to mention one of the wines we got (in slightly reduced portion with the menu exceptional) was worth $28/glass in the regular potion on the a la carte menu and I might not have chosen it. You are right on about the goat cheese soufle....a favorite for everyone. Can you give me more rationale about going a la carte? Constellation in March will only be our second chance at the specialty restaurant since we missed it on our 2004 Infinity sailing.

Thanks.

Wes,

Up to here I was convinced that the additional price for the menu exceptional was worth the return. The wine pairings almost always delivered that "third flavor" when the food and wines compliment each other. Not to mention one of the wines we got (in slightly reduced portion with the menu exceptional) was worth $28/glass in the regular potion on the a la carte menu and I might not have chosen it. You are right on about the goat cheese soufle....a favorite for everyone. Can you give me more rationale about going a la carte? Constellation in March will only be our second chance at the specialty restaurant since we missed it on our 2004 Infinity sailing.

Thanks.

Hi Rick and Anne,

It is a hard choice to make which menu to use for someone that likes and wants the wine combination selected by Mr. Roux - I agree with you that the wine in the way it is offered would cost one a lot more then what they charge as part of the "Menu Exceptionnel".

On the other hand, if one prefers other wine selection and also prefers other choices on the 'old' a la Carte menu......and happens to like Goat Cheese Souflee..... and enjoys the larger portion.....and perhaps also likes more of cheeses being offered and served (only three on the Exceptionnel but few more on the 'old' style menu) then even that only four-course will be allowed to be choosen.......it might be the choice for you.

In case if you do not remember the 'full' old menu please click on the link below and look at the other items offered. This member of the board (Tom and Emily) were kind enough to published the menu and other things on their website.

I hope that I did not confuse you.

Wes

http://www.tomandemily.com/CruisePics/CelebrityConstellation2005/Oceanliners/index_oceanliners.html

PS. Keep on clicking on the page that you want......it will zoom in.

We've eaten at Oceanliners 5 times in the past two years. LOL, I should be more of an expert and authority I guess but I don't really focus on details; more on the overall experience. We finally decided to try the wine pairing this last time. I'm glad we did but will probably not do it again. And, we are wine lovers. But the limited menu, smaller portions and lengthier dining time due to more courses are the reason. This is a rather lengthy dining experience anyways. Not that that is such a bad thing but just to long for us. Hope it helps. Still love the place and will always eat there (or the other specialty restaurants on the Millenium class) at least once if we are sailing them.

We have been in the speciality restuarants in the Millenium, Summit and Infinity over the last few years and will certainly go back when we are on our 2 2006 trips. Yes, been and done it but it is one of the things we will do again, though only once a trip, never twice so it stays a real treat!! The first two trips, we did the normal menu, last trip on Infinity in September we went for the Menu Exceptional and would certainly do that again. It saved arguing (sorry having a focused discussion) over the wine and allowed us to have both red and white which when there is just two of you can be a problem. I also found I was "overful" with the larger four courses, but found myself nicely satisfied with the smaller six courses, and of course, I could still enjoy my favourtie goats cheese souffle. Now if they ever took that off the menu expcetional that would lead to a very different decision. ;)

Are there really only 2 entree selections on the menu exceptionale?

On the printed menu, that is it......but they seem to have one addtional entree that was offered to us in Dec. this year (on both menus)and also last year .......so it seems to be an item that is perhaps 'a stand in' and always available ...........it is the tenderloin of beef......with delicious sauce.

Perhaps the choices are so limited on that special menu.....because they are chosen to go with the particular wine, chosen by Mr. Roux.

Wes

One thing is true, you can't go wrong. As I've pointed out before, they make fine dining an event and whichever way you go, it's going to be enjoyable. To anyone questioning whether or not to try the specialty restaurant, no matter which of the M-class ships you are on, I'd say give it a go. (and bring on the souffle)

Wieslaw and emcee207, thanks for your comments.

On the printed menu, that is it......but they seem to have one addtional entree that was offered to us in Dec. this year (on both menus)and also last year .......so it seems to be an item that is perhaps 'a stand in' and always available ...........it is the tenderloin of beef......with delicious sauce.

Perhaps the choices are so limited on that special menu.....because they are chosen to go with the particular wine, chosen by Mr. Roux.

Wes

Thanks for posting this, Wes. I was veering away from this menu because I didn't like the two options. The beef will bring me back.

Wes

Thanks for posting this, Wes. I was veering away from this menu because I didn't like the two options. The beef will bring me back.

Archived