Questions about minors traveling without legal guardians

I'm planning a cruise with a few friends in high school and want to have my brother and his girlfriend be the legal chaperones. They will be 23 and 24 during the cruise. Their names would separately be on two rooms and we would just switch rooms when we get there so they would have their own room. The rest of us will be 17 and 18. I'm wondering if this is allowed to do and if so, what paper work we would all need?

You will need a notarized document signed by the parents or legal guardians of the minors giving you the right to taken them out of the country, made medical decisions, and sign activity waivers.

Please listen to Host Clarea. This letter is critically important. You will be told it is not necessary, but on a recent cruise round-trip Boston to Bermuda, my sister had the letter from her husband in the trunk of our rented vehicle. She was required by Customs to hunt through her luggage to get it.

We had forgotten that two criminals had made a very public escape from prison shortly before we left. We didn’t meet the description, being female and ranging in age from 5 to late 70s, but we could have been in serious trouble nonetheless.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm planning a cruise with a few friends in high school and want to have my brother and his girlfriend be the legal chaperones. They will be 23 and 24 during the cruise. Their names would separately be on two rooms and we would just switch rooms when we get there so they would have their own room. The rest of us will be 17 and 18. I'm wondering if this is allowed to do and if so, what paper work we would all need?

I also believe the responsible adults needs to be 25 or older as well.

My friend/neighbor does check in at PC. Grandparents were trying to board with their grand daughter, but did not have the necessary paper work.

They did not make the cruise.

Wow, what an expensive lesson!

Yes you should have the letter Notarized, should include your ship name as well and pertinent dates of travel and both parents and contact information for them even if they are out of the country. We travelled to Bermuda last year with our 17yo granddaughter and she lives in the states with her father and still had her mother back in Brazil fill out a form and had it notarized.. There are many free forms you can print on the internet.. Try typing in Travelling with minors... be prepared..

Most cruise lines have a form that you can download from their website. I know NCL does and I’m pretty sure the others do. I would use that form and have it notarized even if it doesn’t mention it needing to be notarized , no need to take any chances

Sent from my iPad using Forums

we are taking my sisters stepdaughter on a cruise and it was very difficult to get an answer from Royal Caribbean about what documents are needed to take her on the cruise with us. We now have a form issued by the Dutch ministry of Justice and security which we filled in. No where on that form it is mentioned that we need to have it notarized and I am not even sure that we can have that done in the Netherlands. We have copies of all passports and a birth certificate, so we hope we have everything in order.

Call Royal Caribbean. Because most of you will be minors unrelated to each other and to your "chaperones," there may be restrictions on if you can book and requirements on the cabins.

I remember a recent thread where a group of three unrelated families cruised and there were issues about the proximity of parents' room to the children's cabin.

Call Royal Caribbean. Because most of you will be minors unrelated to each other and to your "chaperones," there may be restrictions on if you can book and requirements on the cabins.

I remember a recent thread where a group of three unrelated families cruised and there were issues about the proximity of parents' room to the children's cabin.

In the OP's situation...what parent's cabin? :o

You will need a notarized document signed by the parents or legal guardians of the minors giving you the right to taken them out of the country, made medical decisions, and sign activity waivers.

I am taking my teens and a friend of each on a cruise in April and the above is what Royal told me I will need. It must be notarized and be specific about dates, ship, etc...

we are taking my sisters stepdaughter on a cruise and it was very difficult to get an answer from Royal Caribbean about what documents are needed to take her on the cruise with us. We now have a form issued by the Dutch ministry of Justice and security which we filled in. No where on that form it is mentioned that we need to have it notarized and I am not even sure that we can have that done in the Netherlands. We have copies of all passports and a birth certificate, so we hope we have everything in order.

I'm not exactly sure what this is?? Is it a letter thats been issued by a court or similar authority?? If so that should be sufficient. If not Europe laws are different and RCI requirements are different if your travelling from a European port and the ship is staying in Europe. It needs to be stamped by a solicitor who is confirming that they have witnessed the parent or guardian giving permission this is slightly different from being notrized as not all European countries do this. If however your travelling to America you may have serious issues if your letters not Notorized to even enter the country as its not just an RCI policy its law its to help stop child trafficking

Is your sister travelling with you and if so has she officially adopted her step daughter. If she has adoption certificate and birth certificate along with passport should be sufficient if your travel in Europe as RCI only needs the permission of one parent in this case your sister.