Opinion on packing cubes please.

vegasgal47

I use a combination of packing cubes and ziplock bags. Bought the cubes at a discount store--they are flimsy and very light weight. As others have said, I leave most items in the bags/cubes and store them on the closet shelves.

I also take 2 compression bags to bring dirty clothes home--use one for white, and one for dark clothes. We pack these on the last day of the cruise. Easy peasy to do the laundry. I also have an inexpensive pop-up laundry "basket". BTW we only travel with 21" carry-ons plus a backpack each.

I (and hubby) have used them for 2 years now. They are great. They save space, make it so easy to find things and many of them (underwear, basic t-shirts, socks etc) never need to be unpacked. They are simply popped in a drawer. After an initial round of “why do we need these . . .?” hubby now admits they are great too.

I thought about getting them, until I saw a set a friend had. I realized rolling clothes in jumbo zip lock bags works best for me. I use 6 bags, 6 items in each. I take long cruises, end of this month 30 days, varying climates, this works best for me.

I do use packing cubes for Europe by air. But for cruises I use 2 big Zip Loc bags: one for tops, one for bottoms.

Simple and easy.

Reason: you are unpacking only once.

We also love these for shirts and pants and other clothing we do not want to roll. Keeps suitcase organized and clothes wrinkle free. It is surprising how much more we can fit in a suitcase.

We have been using them for years and don't pack a suitcase without using them.

https://shop.eaglecreek.com/packit-original-garment-folder-set-sml/d/1637C5493?CategoryId=330#reviews

You will be surprised how much room they save but it also means you can pack more and that leads to an overweight suitcase. Be sure to weigh! Having said that, I use them all the time. IKEA makes some really great ones for dirt cheap. Like them better than the expensive ones I bought first.

Anyone use packing cubes? I'm considering buying some but wanted some opinions.

Do they save space or just organize?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Love them --- we used them recently for the first time on a cruise and found that they not only saved space in the suitcase, but kept life well organized in the drawers/shelves. When we returned, we ordered a second set.

Enjoy!

We also love these for shirts and pants and other clothing we do not want to roll. Keeps suitcase organized and clothes wrinkle free. It is surprising how much more we can fit in a suitcase.

We have been using them for years and don't pack a suitcase without using them.

https://shop.eaglecreek.com/packit-original-garment-folder-set-sml/d/1637C5493?CategoryId=330#reviews

I also love Eagle Creek cubes and folders. I did but some cheaper ones, but got rid of them and brought more Eagle Creek ones.

https://shop.eaglecreek.com/packing-cubes/l/212

Love them. I use them all the time.

I have one I call the junk drawer. It holds my post-it notes, color markers, and other loose stuff I need. Seems to change for each type of trip I’m on.

I’m on trip to in the UK right now. The house we rented has steep stairs. I left my suite case downstairs and carried up the cubes I needed. In 2 trips I had everything I needed upstarts. I left my socks and shoes downstairs.

I have a verity of sizes. On some trips I pack 2 outfits per cube. Then I only need to open one cube at a time.

On my last cruise I took the cube and put it in the drawer opened it and had all my like items together.

I put snacks in a smaller one for the airplane ride.

I love that TSA can search though my suitcase easier.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Both, they keep my clothes organized and they save space. You need to lear how to pack on them, for example I travel with lightweight clothes that I can rolled with a rubber band. My dresses are mostly of a material that I can do the same. I love my packing cubes.

Thanks!

Both. I would have never believed it until I tried them myself. I use the medium cubes and wouldn't travel without them now. They are so useful when looking for something in your suitcase precruise. Onboard they help keeping small stuff contained in overhead shelves.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Forums mobile app

The same organization effect can be obtained using good old zip-lock bags. They come in various sizes, including some large enough (2 1/2 gallon) for tops. blouses, sleepwear, etc. They're likely less expensive than fancy packing cubes too, and are reusable many times over.

I have packed with them for years. and by compressing out the air, can fit more items in my in suitcases, and my clothes arrive unwrinkled, which was the reason I started packing that way.

I realize that some are huge fans of packing cubes, but this is an alternative method that I and others who have tried it are happy with.

I use a combination of ziplocks, cubes and folders. Ziplocks work great for things like underwear, but the convenience of just being able to pop a cube into a drawer is better for t-shirts and stuff I don't hang. I appreciate not having to open a bag and sort through it to find the shirt I want since I roll everything and can see everything at once.. But I don't pack by outfit, if I did ziplocks would might be a better option. I use packing folders for stuff that will be hung up. For our next trip I will definitely be using ziplocks to pack a spare outfit in our personal item carryon. Also the hint I read on cruise critic about cross-packing and not having all one persons clothes in one suitcase is one of the best hints and will let me stress a little less about lost luggage.

I just don’t get how putting undies and socks in separate cubes doesn’t take up MORE space. I’m a “shove em in the nooks and crannies” and fill up empty space kinda of packer. If you roll the big stuff and fill up the empty space (with the aforementioned undies, socks, plus bras and swimsuits), no wrinkles.

I agree about the smaller stuff in a cube doesn't seem to make sense. My 26" soft side suitcase has low areas where the frame is for the handle. I put socks, undies, bras there to make a level packing surface before I pack my zip lock bags.

For the poster asking about which cubes are best, would be personal choice, and if you search on the internet you can find all sorts of packing ideas, pros and cons of everything.

I think the cubes are as much about organization as space saving for me. I do know we have been able to get more in our suitcases and it has made finding stuff much easier since I started using the cubes. Socks go in shoes, underwear and bras are rolled as tight as I can get them but they don't stay tight if they aren't in something. I guess I would rather take a little more space and be able to unpack quickly.

Thanks!

My husband & I used them for the first time last Oct. for a 3 week trip to Italy. They save space & organize. We both loved using them and will never pack w/o them again!!! We are going on a British Isle Cruise in May with days spend in London.... the packing cubes will definitely be coming too!!

Hope this helps!!

I’ve used them for well over ten years. I have all shapes, sizes and colors including envelopes. My family all use them and I even gave them as a gift to our 1 and 4 year old grandsons. I roll, fold or fill with clothes, electronic cords, toiletries, brushes, accessories. They go in checked bags, carry-ones, and even my purse. Amen!

I just don’t get how putting undies and socks in separate cubes doesn’t take up MORE space. I’m a “shove em in the nooks and crannies” and fill up empty space kinda of packer. If you roll the big stuff and fill up the empty space (with the aforementioned undies, socks, plus bras and swimsuits), no wrinkles.

for me, I use the small ones and pack the undies in them and are able to stuff them in the nooks in the suite case. I usually fill the bottom of the suit case with them and a folder, which makes a nice even base to pack the rest of my clothing on.

But packing has many factors involved. How many shoes you take and how big or small are your shoes, the clothing size that you are packing makes a big difference too.

for me, I use the small ones and pack the undies in them and are able to stuff them in the nooks in the suite case. I usually fill the bottom of the suit case with them and a folder, which makes a nice even base to pack the rest of my clothing on.

But packing has many factors involved. How many shoes you take and how big or small are your shoes, the clothing size that you are packing makes a big difference too.

Shoe! Thats my issue. I put too many aside. Need to pull some out. Lol