Viking Embarkation Question

ClevelandKid

We will be arriving in Venice and boarding the Viking Star in March, however my question would be for any embarkation. We will be arriving in Venice the day before, and ideally, the day we leave we would like to drop our bags off the morning of our departure, go do some more exploring and come back when it is a) our time to board or later, and b) we are ready to stay on the ship.

Viking says on the website that you can drop your bags and go do exploring. What time does the bag check start? Is it a temporary bag check, or are the bags taken on board? How long is the wait to get to the embarkation desk? And how long does the check in take? Or put another way, how long does it take to just drop our bags off, and then how long does it take once we come back before we can actually get on the ship?

Thanks!

In Barcelona we went straight to the ship from the airport, arriving there between 7 and 8 AM if I remember right. There were still people disembarking, and we were able to check in our luggage at a desk outside. It took 5 minutes. When we got back to the ship around 1 we walked straight up to the check in desk and were on the ship in less than 10 minutes. Our stateroom was ready already even though it wasn't supposed to be, and our luggage was already inside.

Guessing maybe you are staying not too far from the terminal - if so, many hotels will hold your bags after you check out. Since you may already be close to where you want to explore, why not leave them at the hotel. Return around 1-2 PM, grab bags and go to ship?

( I am assume a late afternoon ship departure, but I have no idea what time you are leaving)

And - congrats to you for spending a day in Venice before boarding - vs. flying in the very same day the ship leaves. On our RTW trip, Venice was among one of favorite stops. We actually took the train to the Island and then bus to the airport. This was not a cruise stop. You get to visit our favorite cruise port at Barcelona too. See some notes in our blog below.

Guessing maybe you are staying not too far from the terminal - if so, many hotels will hold your bags after you check out. Since you may already be close to where you want to explore, why not leave them at the hotel. Return around 1-2 PM, grab bags and go to ship?

( I am assume a late afternoon ship departure, but I have no idea what time you are leaving)

And - congrats to you for spending a day in Venice before boarding - vs. flying in the very same day the ship leaves. On our RTW trip, Venice was among one of favorite stops. We actually took the train to the Island and then bus to the airport. This was not a cruise stop. You get to visit our favorite cruise port at Barcelona too. See some notes in our blog below.

We leave at 11 pm, so pretty much anytime we return would work. I have given that a lot of consideration, and figured that we would need to check out the hotel first hand and find out their policies and how secure the bags are. But, at least I have info on the Viking part if we go that way.

stretchcruz, when you went back to the ship in the afternoon, was there some place open to eat lunch? On our cruise last year, we did not show up until very late in the afternoon so just waited for dinner to eat again. If we end up touring near the ship in London this year, maybe we might want to eat on the boat.

We've been to Venice a couple of times. Don't know how mobile you are, there is a shuttle link from Marittima (where you will probably do embarkation etc), and there is also a good chance of getting a little boat trip into town (maybe try for Monumento which is right by the main square). However, if you are happy to walk and experience the many little bridges which Venice is famous for - go it by foot and discover the real Venice - it's not to be missed.

We will be arriving in Venice and boarding the Viking Star in March, however my question would be for any embarkation. We will be arriving in Venice the day before, and ideally, the day we leave we would like to drop our bags off the morning of our departure, go do some more exploring and come back when it is a) our time to board or later, and b) we are ready to stay on the ship.

Viking says on the website that you can drop your bags and go do exploring. What time does the bag check start? Is it a temporary bag check, or are the bags taken on board? How long is the wait to get to the embarkation desk? And how long does the check in take? Or put another way, how long does it take to just drop our bags off, and then how long does it take once we come back before we can actually get on the ship?

Thanks!

I can’t speak for Venice - we have been there but not on a cruise. I do think it presents some interesting challenges due to the layout and the canals.

We are sailing from San Juan on the Viking Sea next month. According to our paperwork we can check in and board anytime after 11am. If it’s anything like the river cruises - and I’ve heard the process is similar - it’s quick and easy.

We are flying in the night before and staying in Old San Juan where the ship will be docked. We plan to check out of the hotel around 11am, then catch a cab over to the ship.

We won’t have access to our cabin until 2pm, so we’ll have some lunch and take it from there. We will be able to walk back into San Juan, but I don’t think you will be able to do that in Venice. I don’t think the ports are that close to the city. You will probably need to take a water taxi to get back to Venice proper.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 3 weeks later...
In Barcelona we went straight to the ship from the airport, arriving there between 7 and 8 AM if I remember right. There were still people disembarking, and we were able to check in our luggage at a desk outside. It took 5 minutes. When we got back to the ship around 1 we walked straight up to the check in desk and were on the ship in less than 10 minutes. Our stateroom was ready already even though it wasn't supposed to be, and our luggage was already inside.

Is there any place to gather once you drop your bags? We have part of our group arriving at 8:30 am, some at 11 and some at 1:30 and need to figure out how to meet up. Any suggestions? Also, for the included city tour in Barcelona, are the time slots all for the day after your arrival or would there be some for the day you arrive? Thanks so much for any help