Ocean View Cabin vs Cabin with a balcony?

ladycaveat

I was planning on booking an ocean view cabin for my twenty-eight year old son and I on our cruise to the Mexican Riviera next year. However, the more I think about it . . . maybe I should switch to a balcony cabin. I usually travel solo and due to the 200% one has to pay when traveling alone . . . I always book an inside cabin.

Is a cabin with a balcony worth the added price? I spend so little time in the cabin but . . . I smoke and my son hates smoke.

Is a cabin with a balcony worth the added price? I spend so little time in the cabin but . . . I smoke and my son hates smoke.

If you want to smoke in your cabin at all, a balcony is a must. If you don't plan on smoking in your cabin, you could get by with an outside. Be forewarned, once you've had a balcony, it will be hard to go back to inside/outside.

Truly a matter of what you're willing to spend. On HAL, which we cruise on. balconies tend to be about $300 per person more than an outside. We had one once due to an upgrade and thoroughly enjoyed it. But our shipboard tab for a 7 day cruise only runs about $600-700 so by foregoing the balcony we have effectively paid the onboard tab and as a result, can cruise a bit more often.

We spend realtively little time in our cabin and I'd even be content w/ an inside if it meant I could go more often.. but not sure i want to fight THAT fight w/ DW.

If you've never had a balcony, you might want to try it once just to see how much difference it makes for you. Then you'll be able to make a more informed decision on future crusies.

In our case it simply didn't make a $600 difference. Would I do it for $300 total? A good chance.. just because DW enjoyed it more than me. And if I could get a commitment that she'd stay out of the jewelry stores in port, she could have a balcony every trip.. *L*

I love a balcony and use it often. I enjoy a morning coffee and an afternoon glass of wine on the balcony and sleep many nights with the door open so I can hear the sea. It's a great place to read a book and just get completely away from everyone else.

The only negative is that, as a non smoker, I dislike it when I have smokers on either side of me and the smoke drifts in my direction.

When Nordic Empress was 5 years old, we scrimped & saved to have one of the very rare balconies over our Christmas cruise - this was 1995. The night we left Miami it was wonderful! Seeing all the other cruise ships with their Christmas lights on, etc. The next morning the weather was HORRIBLE, cold and rainy and windy. All ports were cancelled the entire cruise (only 4 days anyway) and we were never able to use the balcony again except to wrap ouselves in blankets and look out at how rough it was, lol. Now, we have our next balcony booked. I know this one will be wonderful!

Thanks ya all . . . I think the jury is in . . . we will be booking a cabin with a balcony. With my son's military discount (he's a helicopter pilot with the Coast Guard), it really won't be that much more. Again, thanks for helping me decide . . . :p

I think you will love it and be very happy with the extra luxury.

OFF TOPIC

Hey Patrice1,

I love your Mark Twain quote and have used it often.

Are you owned by a fid?

I am....here is my little green chicken Picasso. :o

GETPICASSOasgetshorty.jpg

Hey Patrice1,

I love your Mark Twain quote and have used it often.

Are you owned by a fid?

I am....here is my little green chicken Picasso. :o

Whooo! Picasso is Gorgeous :D . Great pic. I am owned by 2 fids - a LGC like yours named Jake and an African Grey named Jazi (Swahili for precious gift). Love my babies! :)

Hands down...balcony cabin.

Once you go balcony, it's very difficult to do anything else. We have had two balconies in the past couple of years, and we have since booked a JS on the Enchantment for next December, since we heard so much about the aft balcony cabins. :D

Go for the balcony.

Archived