IMPORTANT! Don’t Use a Credit Card on MSC That Charges a Foreign Transaction Fee

Jimbo59

24 minutes ago, Native Floridian 26 said:

Reviving an old thread.  First time MSC cruiser and have not had this foreign transaction fee on any other line we've cruised.  For those who have cruised MSC out of the the USA since restart in 2021, is onboard charges still resulting in foreign transaction fees? Not a big deal, just need to know which of my CCs to use.

It seems mixed. My advice is to just use one that doesn't. I was on Mera 8/23 and charged in USD, but YMMV as is always the case with MSC.

• Thanks 1

On 2/24/2018 at 3:35 PM, Jimbo59 said:

My credit card charge from MSC didn’t add the fee on the deposit or the cruise final payment. It was charged by MSC USA.

The on-board charge was from France. Fortunately, I used a credit card with no foreign transaction fee

This has been our exact experience as well. I’ve booked both of our MSC cruises direct on the MSC USA site.  
The charges on our card for deposits and final payments says MSC USA…not from France 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, styles27 said:

This has been our exact experience as well. I’ve booked both of our MSC cruises direct on the MSC USA site.  
The charges on our card for deposits and final payments says MSC USA…not from France 

I'm so glad that was mentioned!  I don't usually carry that particular card, except when overseas.

On 2/22/2018 at 8:09 PM, lcpagejr said:

Not for the MSC newbies like me!!! I just tell my CC company Florida and the islands I'm visiting. Would never think to tell them to accept a European CC charge!

EXACTLY!!!  Is this true for a crew selling out of port Canaveral. Am I going to have to call Discover or Visa or whatever?

17 hours ago, styles27 said:

Yes, your MSC charges for deposit and final payments will be through MSC USA.

However, all on board charges will be through a French bank. Plan accordingly. Definitely let your credit card people now that a charge will come through from a French company when you register your credit card on board.

Also, as I requested a refund on a cruise canceled by MSC, the refunds have also been processed through the French bank. 

Edited by Homosassa

2 hours ago, Homosassa said:

Yes, your MSC charges for deposit and final payments will be through MSC USA.

However, all on board charges will be through a French bank. Plan accordingly. Definitely let your credit card people now that a charge will come through from a French company when you register your credit card on board.

Also, as I requested a refund on a cruise canceled by MSC, the refunds have also been processed through the French bank. 

So our card must not charge foreign fees as our first time on MSC was in the Mediterranean in 2019 and I don’t remember having those charges but I will double check again just to be sure. 

Edited by styles27
Spelling