Flight into New Orleans

Bedtimekilla

Due to my schedule I was only able to book a flight the day of the cruise. I will by flying from Kansas City to Houston then to New Orleans. My arrival time is listed at 1 pm with the cruise leaving at 4 and needing to check in 90 Minutes prior. I have carry on bags and no luggage to pick up. Is this doable?

Is this do-able? Yes.

Is it worth the risk? Only you can say. Are you willing to accept the risk? If so, it's okay. If not, you will have to do some things to improve your odds.

Do you have travel insurance that covers all flight delay/cancellation scenarios? I read on John Heald's FB page today a cruiser who thought their travel insurance would cover their missed cruise due to cancelled flights, only to find out that it only covered flights cancelled due to weather, not mechanical issues.

I read on John Heald's FB page today a cruiser who thought their travel insurance would cover their missed cruise due to cancelled flights, only to find out that it only covered flights cancelled due to weather, not mechanical issues.

If the plane has mechanical delays, the airline is responsible for getting you to your destination however they can, as timely as possible. Other issues where it's the airline's fault will be handled similarly. For example, once we had a delay arriving because the airline added an unscheduled stop in another city, causing us to miss a connection. They re-booked us on the spot. Normal rules like "no seats available in a fare class" are waived. You're going to get there as soon as the airline can get you there, and usually the airline will comp you for meals or a hotel during the delay.

For weather, you are on your own. Hence, travel insurance.

Just keep in mind, if you buy a ticket to Miami for example, and miss your cruise, the airline is only responsible for getting you to Miami. Any cost to get to the next port is on you (unless you booked cruise air, then it's on Carnival, but cruise air is usually not the best cost option), so you need travel insurance to cover mechanical delays as well.

You didn't say what time of year or what day of the week either. The ride from the airpot to the port can be quick or if there is an accident or road work it can be a parking lot. (I drive through there often and there are times where it is actually faster to take I55 and I12 or vise versa to avoid the mess that New Orleans can be. even though it is 30-40 miles longer. Yes I'm usually going through NOLA and not stopping but traffic can be a major pain especially on the west side)