Please help my friends pack...

MsSoCalCruiser

On our Alaskan cruise & land tour last summer, the best thing I packed was my silk long underwear (top & bottoms). They are super thin and can be layered under almost anything. They don’t add bulk—they just add a bit of extra warmth.

They take very little space in a suitcase, are machine washable and they dry easily. Winter Silks and Thermasilks are a couple of the brands I’m familiar with.

So instead of going out and buying bulky extra clothing, consider adding the silk undies under the clothes you’re already thinking of bringing.

• 3 weeks later...

I might have missed it, but in which month will they be in Alaska? Also, the only Princess Lodge I've been to is Cooper Landing and they had a gift shop with fleece jackets and vests on sale. We were in their RV park last Father's Day weekend and they had those things.

I like Cuddle Duds thermal underwear (Walmart). They have levels of warmth, are soft and comfortable. And lightweight. We are going to Alaska in August for a 14 day cruisetour with layers - cuddle duds, jeans, and Frog Togs (lightweight waterproof over pants and jacket that motorcyclists wear). I want to get lightweight rubber overshoes to keep my feet dry. Sounds like a lot but all is lightweight and packs compactly without wrinkles. Hubby will take dry weave shirts and I will take a couple of silky tops. Dry feet and layers.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We have had up to 3 days land prior to a cruise and I have been able to get it all in a carry on. I pack what I would need for the land in this case it was Copenhagen ( 2.5 days ) so mostly jeans then planned out our 15 day TA with the evening slacks and daily clothes plus jackets, sweatshirt, a couple sweaters, evening shoes ( 2 pair ) and walking shoes. My husband & I each had 2 carry on size luggage, a 22 & 20 ". I will be planning our 15 day RT Hawaii in just the 22 ".

• 3 weeks later...
I might have missed it, but in which month will they be in Alaska? Also, the only Princess Lodge I've been to is Cooper Landing and they had a gift shop with fleece jackets and vests on sale. We were in their RV park last Father's Day weekend and they had those things.

They will be there mid May and they will be at Denali and McKinley lodges. I will have to let them know about the gift shop. They will like that, thank you.

I like Cuddle Duds thermal underwear (Walmart). They have levels of warmth, are soft and comfortable. And lightweight. We are going to Alaska in August for a 14 day cruisetour with layers - cuddle duds, jeans, and Frog Togs (lightweight waterproof over pants and jacket that motorcyclists wear). I want to get lightweight rubber overshoes to keep my feet dry. Sounds like a lot but all is lightweight and packs compactly without wrinkles. Hubby will take dry weave shirts and I will take a couple of silky tops. Dry feet and layers.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I love Cuddle Duds. I've never heard of frog togs. I will have to look into that. Thank you.

We have had up to 3 days land prior to a cruise and I have been able to get it all in a carry on. I pack what I would need for the land in this case it was Copenhagen ( 2.5 days ) so mostly jeans then planned out our 15 day TA with the evening slacks and daily clothes plus jackets, sweatshirt, a couple sweaters, evening shoes ( 2 pair ) and walking shoes. My husband & I each had 2 carry on size luggage, a 22 & 20 ". I will be planning our 15 day RT Hawaii in just the 22 ".

How do you do it???

Lay out what you think you need on the bed. NOW PUT HALF OF THAT STUFF AWAY. Keep the light jacket/sweater. If your ship has a launder mat, Reduce by another 50%.

Remember the rule of thumb, take half the clothes and twice the money

I love this idea I'm a over packer and I mean over. I always think I'm going to need something but now since we started cruising it is so inconvenient to take all that extra stuff. I didn't even use half of the clothes I packed for our first cruise. I have a business trip next week and I'm already worry about needing something. I will try this method. Thank You!

My method is if it does not fit in a carry-on and a backpack, it does not go at all. Packing smartly for Alaska means layers, rain protection, and as for ANY trip, clothing that does double duty. For instance, I have a swimsuit cover-up that can be a casual dress for hot weather.

We always have a medium-size backpack for day trips. It holds the essentials and allows my hands and arms to be unencumbered on slippery ground which Alaska can have at any time.

We went to Alaska in mid-September and it was quite rainy but not very cold. I brought a pair of boys large size waterproof pants at a thrift store for $2.00. They fit perfectly and were fine with the cotton socks and cotton tights I wore underneath. I already had waterproof boots.

Don't spend a lot on clothes from which you might not get a lot of use after your trip. Some thrift stores, consignment shops and used sporting goods stores have fabulous, excellent quality goods.

Edited by Bookish Angel

by now you should be convinced but I will chime in:

layers.....layers.....layers.......with clothes and pieces you mix and match and reware a lot

waterproof type jacket or poncho for both rain and cool days (if and when they occur)

leave the fancy clothes and jewelry at home......pack a few nice mix/match outfits for night time dinning but overall the Alaska cruises are quite casual