Tips needed for early June cruise

SoBaycruiser

We will be cruising the Inland Passage (BC ports included) and SE Alaska in the first half of June. I know the weather can vary and to expect rain, but how cold is it really in early June? I know layers are the key. However...

1. Does one need long underwear under Jeans? How many layers would you expect to wear if you were packing?

2. Does it ever get warm enough in June that one would want to bring a pair of shorts?

3. Are mosquitoes a problem that early in summer?

4. Ive seen hiking boots recommended for excursions. I assume because of rain, mud, etc. Can one still do active excursions in athletic shoes sprayed with water repellent?

5. Anything you wish you knew before hand?

Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

1. Does one need long underwear under Jeans? I would rather have light weight rainpants to block wind. How many layers would you expect to wear if you were packing? bottoms only one, but on top could be long-sleeved shirt over a short-sleeved top, sweatshirt or fleece, light weight wind-proof jacket. That is the maximum I would ever wear.

2. Does it ever get warm enough in June that one would want to bring a pair of shorts? Definitely yes

3. Are mosquitoes a problem that early in summer? Depends

4. Ive seen hiking boots recommended for excursions. I assume because of rain, mud, etc. Can one still do active excursions in athletic shoes sprayed with water repellent? Yes

1. Does one need long underwear under Jeans? I would rather have light weight rainpants to block wind. How many layers would you expect to wear if you were packing? bottoms only one, but on top could be long-sleeved shirt over a short-sleeved top, sweatshirt or fleece, light weight wind-proof jacket. That is the maximum I would ever wear.

2. Does it ever get warm enough in June that one would want to bring a pair of shorts? Definitely yes

3. Are mosquitoes a problem that early in summer? Depends

4. Ive seen hiking boots recommended for excursions. I assume because of rain, mud, etc. Can one still do active excursions in athletic shoes sprayed with water repellent? Yes

Thanks for being so specific!

I've never taken nor worn long underwear. :) In my opinion, no, you don't need it. Yes, throw in a pair of shorts, but also, pack a hat and gloves. :) Yes, mosquitoes and no see ums can be a concern.

I walk all over, and never have taken hiking boots either. I manage just fine with a good sturdy pair of walking shoes. I don't over pack.

We will be cruising the Inland Passage (BC ports included) and SE Alaska in the first half of June. I know the weather can vary and to expect rain, but how cold is it really in early June? I know layers are the key. However...

1. Does one need long underwear under Jeans? How many layers would you expect to wear if you were packing?

2. Does it ever get warm enough in June that one would want to bring a pair of shorts?

3. Are mosquitoes a problem that early in summer?

4. Ive seen hiking boots recommended for excursions. I assume because of rain, mud, etc. Can one still do active excursions in athletic shoes sprayed with water repellent?

5. Anything you wish you knew before hand?

Thanks.

You would not need long underwear. I do layer because weather can change by hour or day or year over year. I will bring two pairs of footwear (one is low cut hiking boots), water proof pants and other types of long pants, a fleece but a sweatshirt or sweater will do and a waterproof jacket with hood. For viewing glaciers on the ship I do bring gloves just in case and even a scarf. Bring shorts too. It could be warm. you never know.

Bring repellent just in case. Some people have issues with insects. I am one of them and if one out of one hundred people get stung it is me. With that said I have never had an issue in Alaska but I always bring it just in case.

Bring sun tan lotion too. Very important.

Back to hiking shoes. i have found them to be great not only in Alaska but have used them many times over on our trips. Yes great if it is muddy and walking on paths. Required. No. Nice to have yes. Again we have low cut ones.

Keith

You would not need long underwear. I do layer because weather can change by hour or day or year over year. I will bring two pairs of footwear (one is low cut hiking boots), water proof pants and other types of long pants, a fleece but a sweatshirt or sweater will do and a waterproof jacket with hood. For viewing glaciers on the ship I do bring gloves just in case and even a scarf. Bring shorts too. It could be warm. you never know.

Bring repellent just in case. Some people have issues with insects. I am one of them and if one out of one hundred people get stung it is me. With that said I have never had an issue in Alaska but I always bring it just in case.

Bring sun tan lotion too. Very important.

Back to hiking shoes. i have found them to be great not only in Alaska but have used them many times over on our trips. Yes great if it is muddy and walking on paths. Required. No. Nice to have yes. Again we have low cut ones.

Keith

Keith,

Thanks for the input. We took an expeditionary cruise to the fjords of northeast Greenland last summer so I have all the Marino wool base layers, fleeces, waterproof pants and jacket. I was hoping to make use of them again but it looks like the base layers can stay home. (We don’t have much use for them in SoCal!).

How do you deal with the packing weight of hiking boots? Or it that another advantage of low cut hiking ones?

Thanks!

Keith,

Thanks for the input. We took an expeditionary cruise to the fjords of northeast Greenland last summer so I have all the Marino wool base layers, fleeces, waterproof pants and jacket. I was hoping to make use of them again but it looks like the base layers can stay home. (We don’t have much use for them in SoCal!).

How do you deal with the packing weight of hiking boots? Or it that another advantage of low cut hiking ones?

Thanks!

SoBaycruiser you are very welcome.

I know the feeling. My wife and I took a cruise of the Northwest Passage in 2016 and we too have lots of expedition types of clothing but very few opportunities to wear it as we live in Texas.

The hiking books since they are low cut are not too bad. They way more then the average pair of shoes but take up far less room and weight a lot less then high hiking boots.

Keitih

SoBaycruiser you are very welcome.

I know the feeling. My wife and I took a cruise of the Northwest Passage in 2016 and we too have lots of expedition types of clothing but very few opportunities to wear it as we live in Texas.

Keitih

Oooh! Northwest Passage! How did you like it and who was it with? I was just going to start looking around for something like that. We like the unusual.