Snorkeling West Bay

Guest 2000

Does anyone know if I can buy a round trip transportation and a day pass to Infinity or some other resort/beach club on the day when we dock in Roatan? I really don't want to pre-book anything. It can rain that day, or someone can get sick. I prefer to go one day at a time. In other ports I usually just hire a taxi. No problem anywhere else. But everyone comments that taxi can be risky there. If the same day booking is possible how to proceed? Where to go to get a transportation? Where to buy a day pass? Someone mentioned kiosk# 7. Is it the place where the shuttles depart for West Bay? Thank you.

On ‎9‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 2:37 PM, Outta My Work Clothes said:

FINALLY..... the 833 number worked. $20 for beach day, chairs etc and one welcome drink. $65 all inclusive, all drinks and one lunch as well as beach etc.

K7 at port brings you there $15 round trip,

see Junior McKensey at front desk.

THANKx again Guest 2K

Is this kiosk 7 at Coxen Hole as the PP suggests? Is this general transport, or Infinity contracted transport ie can you use it to anywhere on West Bay? Was $15pp round trip pp dependent on a minimum number of people?

If it was for two people, at any time, it was indeed a good price, or did this have to be pre-booked and dependent on going to Infinity? Look forward to further details. Even at $35pp for transport, access to pool and drink it is a good price.

Edited by c-leg5

On ‎9‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 3:09 PM, Guest 2000 said:

You are most welcome. yeah, islands off the coast off third world counties.. things don't work that same as in the north. :0)

Looks like Infinity is starting to be competitive in the day pass market. If they allow you to eat off the menus at the Beach Bar, good food!! If they make you go to the buffet where the AI people eat, maybe not so good. The transport is a very good price... per person? is there a sliding scale for number of persons? Don't be disappointed if they don't have your favorite adult beverage, yeah island off the coast of a third world country. :0)

Sounds like times are definitely changing at Infinity. Wasn't aware Infinity offered an AI buffet? I can remember when day passes were $40pp (at certain times) just to get in IF you were lucky!

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/5/2018 at 10:17 AM, Guest 2000 said:

West Bay beach is also the premier beach on the island.

This map shows the boat free reef snorkling between Infinity Bay's L shaped dock and the Wall. Along the beach toward the wall in this area are Infinity Bay (offers day passes) Tabyana ( cruise ship only excursion) and Grand Roatan (no day passes I know of). If you wish boat free, reef snorkeling steps from your lounger your best bets are Tabyana or Infinity (their day pass can be high and limited, best to contact them directly)

Thanks so much for posting this info. I printed the map and took it with me on my cruise last week.

Because I was solo cruising, I stuck with the Carnival tour and did the Tabyana beach break.  When we got there, I headed into the water and was followed by a guy from the island towing an orange ring who asked if I wanted him to take me out.  I said no...twice.  He kept swimming not far from me, and finally I said "you're not giving up, are you?" and he said "no."   

I asked him how much, and he said something about just wanting to show me how beautiful it was -- whatever he said left me with the impression that there was no fixed cost, just whatever I felt like paying at the end.  I told him I hadn't brought much cash with me, and he said that was OK, so I said OK...and off we went.

IT WAS AMAZING!   It was the most enjoyable snorkeling I've ever done.  The reef was beautiful, I saw tons of different fish, and he took me over a couple drop offs, down to a huge rock at the end of the beach etc.  It was the highlight of my week, and I definitely want to go back.   It was all snorkeling that I could have done on my own, but since i was by myself out in the water, I know I wouldn't have gone as far out or as far down the beach by myself. I only had $25 to give him, but if I'd thought to get his name and address, I'd send him more. It was worth it!

West Bay beach also lived up to all the rave reviews.  The water was the bluest blue I saw all week, and the beach was just picture perfect.  There were a lot of people on the beach, and yes, a lot of vendors, but I still absolutely loved it.  

• Like 1

On 8/21/2018 at 11:11 AM, karena1 said:

We do the West Bay Beach Break with Island Marketing. $33 pp and that includes our ride to/from, entrance into Bananarama, 2 drinks and our lounge chairs. Driver stays with you the entire time. Last time there were only 6 of us and we had a mini van. Snorkeling was really good, we are doing it again this time.

Hubby had lunch and if I remember right it was pretty reasonable. We really liked it there, that is why we are going back again with the same tour.

Karena1 - was the snorkeling good right at Bananarama or did you have to walk down the beach?  Thanks for your help!

10 hours ago, jean-lynd said:

Karena1 - was the snorkeling good right at Bananarama or did you have to walk down the beach?  Thanks for your help!

We walked down the beach to the rocks to snorkel.  Maybe a 5 minute leisurely walk down the beach to get there.  We are snorkeling again next month when we go to Roatan on Allure

• Like 1

2 hours ago, karena1 said:

We walked down the beach to the rocks to snorkel.  Maybe a 5 minute leisurely walk down the beach to get there.  We are snorkeling again next month when we go to Roatan on Allure

Which direction to you walk?  Thanks!

On 10/30/2018 at 4:09 PM, c-leg5 said:

Is this kiosk 7 at Coxen Hole as the PP suggests? Is this general transport, or Infinity contracted transport ie can you use it to anywhere on West Bay? Was $15pp round trip pp dependent on a minimum number of people?

If it was for two people, at any time, it was indeed a good price, or did this have to be pre-booked and dependent on going to Infinity? Look forward to further details. Even at $35pp for transport, access to pool and drink it is a good price.

1 hour ago, Outta My Work Clothes said:

Yes at kiosk #7, it was a van, we had 4 with us and there was another group of people that was going on a Pub Crawl... and it was $15 per person round trip. Yes... the $35 is a very good price... Great Pool... View,  and accommodations.

We called and made a reservation, no down payment.

Never heard of a pub crawl in Roatan. Was that self organised or through the van company?

On 11/11/2018 at 5:10 PM, RW_MI said:

Thanks so much for posting this info. I printed the map and took it with me on my cruise last week.

Because I was solo cruising, I stuck with the Carnival tour and did the Tabyana beach break.  When we got there, I headed into the water and was followed by a guy from the island towing an orange ring who asked if I wanted him to take me out.  I said no...twice.  He kept swimming not far from me, and finally I said "you're not giving up, are you?" and he said "no."   

I asked him how much, and he said something about just wanting to show me how beautiful it was -- whatever he said left me with the impression that there was no fixed cost, just whatever I felt like paying at the end.  I told him I hadn't brought much cash with me, and he said that was OK, so I said OK...and off we went.

IT WAS AMAZING!   It was the most enjoyable snorkeling I've ever done.  The reef was beautiful, I saw tons of different fish, and he took me over a couple drop offs, down to a huge rock at the end of the beach etc.  It was the highlight of my week, and I definitely want to go back.   It was all snorkeling that I could have done on my own, but since i was by myself out in the water, I know I wouldn't have gone as far out or as far down the beach by myself. I only had $25 to give him, but if I'd thought to get his name and address, I'd send him more. It was worth it!

West Bay beach also lived up to all the rave reviews.  The water was the bluest blue I saw all week, and the beach was just picture perfect.  There were a lot of people on the beach, and yes, a lot of vendors, but I still absolutely loved it.  

I am so pleased to hear you enjoyed yourself.  I have been out there many times by my self but I have also been out snorkeling with guides... there are pros to both options. 

This is our video from last year showing our group tour with Victor Bodden.  I think it was $35 each. 

I liked the snorkeling there so much, we're going again next week on the NCL Getaway.  West Bay was probably the easiest and most spectacular beach access snorkel we've ever done.  This year we booked a private tour to have some more time with the sloths and snorkeling.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Tummy said:

This is our video from last year showing our group tour with Victor Bodden.  I think it was $35 each. 

I liked the snorkeling there so much, we're going again next week on the NCL Getaway.  West Bay was probably the easiest and most spectacular beach access snorkel we've ever done.  This year we booked a private tour to have some more time with the sloths and snorkeling.

Did you take your own snorkeling equipment or was it provided?

57 minutes ago, jean-lynd said:

Did you take your own snorkeling equipment or was it provided?

We always bring our own, but you can rent from many vendors around there.  I believe I saw on the Bananarama website that they have a package with transport, facility use and snorkel rental for $35 pp (4 people min).

Edited by Tummy

• 4 weeks later...

We will be in Roatan in January.  This will be our 2nd time there aboard a cruise ship. Last time we did zip lines, monkeys, etc. , then short time on beach at Bananarama with Bodden tours.  This time I really just want to spend time at the beach and of course hoping it's not a rainy day, but I hear that is a good chance in January.  I'm leaning towards Paradise Beach Resort & would like transportation included.  I found it on Island Marketing but you have to pay in full when booking.  If it is storming that day I would hate to waste our money.  Any ideas on booking that doesn't require full payment or that will refund if the day is a wash out!  Thanks in advance!

53 minutes ago, endoellen said:

We will be in Roatan in January.  This will be our 2nd time there aboard a cruise ship. Last time we did zip lines, monkeys, etc. , then short time on beach at Bananarama with Bodden tours.  This time I really just want to spend time at the beach and of course hoping it's not a rainy day, but I hear that is a good chance in January.  I'm leaning towards Paradise Beach Resort & would like transportation included.  I found it on Island Marketing but you have to pay in full when booking.  If it is storming that day I would hate to waste our money.  Any ideas on booking that doesn't require full payment or that will refund if the day is a wash out!  Thanks in advance!

Have you tried contacting Paradise about their options and prices. 

1 hour ago, endoellen said:

I would write direct, they have different passes. I had good communications with

christopher.amaro@paradisehotels.com

On 12/10/2018 at 10:30 PM, endoellen said:

Just a friendly FYI. This will be our 6th time on a western Caribbean itinerary and have never once had rain at any port of call (all during January or February). It’s the dry season in the Caribbean, this is why we always book in Jan or Feb, but we also enjoy escaping the frigid Minnesota weather. 😉

Enjoy your cruise. 😊

34 minutes ago, ChillinCruiser said:

Just a friendly FYI. This will be our 6th time on a western Caribbean itinerary and have never once had rain at any port of call (all during January or February). It’s the dry season in the Caribbean, this is why we always book in Jan or Feb, but we also enjoy escaping the frigid Minnesota weather. 😉

Enjoy your cruise. 😊

While you may have been all kinds of lucky.... Rainy season on Roatan runs sometime in Oct through sometime in Jan.  Course being the ham race is killing the planet, mother nature is a bit though to predict. :0) 

If were going to Roatan only for one week and I wanted sun for that 7 days I'd go in May or September. I would not go in January. 

5 hours ago, ChillinCruiser said:

Enjoy your cruise. 😊

Thanks for your reply!  I hope we have your luck with the weather! We've done Western Caribbean at least 15 times, but only our 2nd time to Roatan.  We've always cruised in April or May & had great weather & good seas.  We'll be departing from Galveston, TX and the Gulf can be rough & windy this time of year.  My husband is taking the whole month of January off & using up remainder of his vacay days & then retiring.  We wanted to head somewhere warm for awhile, even though our cold is nothing compared to yours!!

Edited by endoellen

On 8/19/2018 at 2:36 PM, Guest 2000 said:

You are most welcome! It would seem you found a hole in my original infomation. Thank you for pointing out the oversight.

All the sand (beaches) on Roatan is free though often times one need to pay for access through a resort. Fantasy Island is a good example. West Bay Beach and Half Moon Bay Beach both have public access and snorkeling from shore, one need not pay a day pass to play in the sand as long as you stay off what the resorts consider their property. Those things which are payable are lounger, potties, food and beverages.

The above means if you wish to just sit on the sand with no access to potties or lounger, sure try that. Access to Half Moon Bay is easy due to its location in the village of West End. Public access to West Bay Beach need be had either by way of road between Bananarama and Paradise Beach Club or via water taxi from West End.

Taxi prices are not regulated, I find them to be high. If you pre-arrange round-trip transport you are far more likely to both depart and return to the ship in a timely manner. Prices are per person and would be a bit less to West End/West Bay if you are docking in Coxen Hole.

There is a bus system but of you are docking in Magohnay Bay it would take you far to long to get to West End. The minibus from Coxen Hole to West End starts near an open market in Coxen Hole which means you have to walk from the port into town. You can ask along the way were the bus to West End is.

If in fact, you are docking in Coxen Hole the trip would be something along the line of : walk into town (10min) Minibus once it departs 25min to West End. If you decide to go to West Bay catch a water taxi from the stand in the middle of town. Understand the minibus passengers are locals and you are visiting an island off the coast of a third world county. I have done this many times though not from a cruise ship but if you have a large group or children or are just not all that adventurous.. it may not be your better bet.

I have never dug through the tour operator websites, one of them may have a group shuttle to West End/West Bay.

One other thought, some people are eaten alive by the sand flies. Yes, they live in the sand. One may be more likely to be bothered if no longer is used. Take repellent.

Thank you for all this information. Just want to be sure I understand... If I arrive on the beach by Bananamara Drive between paradise and Bananamara resorts, I will be able to walk on the beach and get to THE spot (shown on the map) between paradise and grand Roatan? Or their "properties" go up to the shore line and I'll get stopped?

Thank you in advance!