Alert

William12

I just got this. If you are traveling on the March 10 sailing be aware of the State Department Waning. Here it is

Effective immediately, U.S. Government employees are prohibited from traveling to Playa del Carmen until further notice,”

Here is the URL

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2018/03/08/state-department-warns-of-security-threat-in-playa-del-carmen-popular-resort-city-in-mexico/?utm_term=.f17eb2ae2266

Well I guess we will have to find something else to do. :(

William , we also received a travel alert which is causing us concern. We don't sail until the first of June but this information is a little frightening .

Did you have plans to visit Playa del Carmen ? Our excursion is scheduled to visit Playa da Mia. If I am correct , we would not have to use the ferry system . We would be using the bus system (which could also be targeted ) and we are booked through the MSC excursion site. I am hoping things will have settled down by June and I would also hope that MSC would be on top of the situation .

We are feeling very uneasy with all the chaos going on in Mexico right now !

This can be a lot to take in, but the truth is American are soft targets, especially coming off a cruise ship and right now, and this is one area that is very hot. Both of us have connection with the government and we are not going to take a chance. I know that there will be those out there that will say, "Who's going to know if I work for the government", this is true there are no check and balances but if something happens and you decided to go, this can mean your job. This is one that decision that you have to make. I leave on Saturday the 10th, and I can give you any update if they come in. Enjoy your trip and don't let this ruin what you are looking forward to.

Have fun

Bill

Similar notices have been sent out for the Western coast of Mexico and their port areas for years.... due to violence and murders from drug cartel gangs, etc..... Ships never stopped sailing. Tourism is a livlihood to many and to the country. Appropriate security patrols and police are always around ports. Ever cruise to San Juan (pre hurricane)?? They have had crime issues for years....I've never seen so much police presence and this was during the day!!

Many cruise lines are cancelling excursions.

Yes it is sad.

Unfortunately terrible things have happened throughout world history.

Difference today is that they are more widely known and more people are traveling then ever before.

Keith