Around Cape Horn...which ship would you take?

Wavelet

We had the same experience in Ushuaia in 2010. Cruise ships only dock on one side of the pier and prevailing winds can be so strong that ships can’t safely use their thrusters to move away from the pier. We were not able to leave until 11:00pm. On an earlier cruise that year a cruise ship couldn’t leave until the next morning.

We had the same thing happen in March 2016 after rounding the cape. So late to the next port we missed a tour to Patagonia.

We had the same thing happen in March 2016 after rounding the cape. So late to the next port we missed a tour to Patagonia.
Punta Arenas is the port for the day excursion to Antarctica. About 10-15 people missed a bucket list tour on our cruise as well as others missing their Patagonia tour.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have done it on Golden Princess and given that ship is almost identical to the Star Princess then that would be the one I would suggest. I like the size of those ships and felt the numbers were just right. I would be less inclined to ever sail on the larger capacity ships until they are the only choice.

Perhaps the most unique port on the whole itinerary is the Falkland Islands, as it is difficult to get there almost any other way. The ship has to anchor a bit away from the harbor and the tender ride takes a while. Now think about tendering 2600 vs 3500 passengers on the Star vs Royal. Additionally, many of the tours are run by the local population (about 4000 on the islands, 2000 in Stanley) utilizing private vehicles. Our tour to see penguins at north pond had room for 12 passengers - you read that right, 12. It was an amazing tour and maybe they ran it twice, but really, the numbers aren't in your favor on a 3500 passenger vessel. We were even in port with the ms Amsterdam which is about 1400 pax and the town felt a bit crowded. There were long tender lines as there was only space for 2 tenders to load and unload simultaneously. Its also a commonly missed port due to weather.

The Star is a great ship for this itinerary. Punta Arenas is similarly difficult to tender into and can be missed. The covered viewing area and pool is a huge plus on this itinerary as Punta Arenas can be sunny and 55 or so in the winter, but the wind blows so consistently it can feel like 20 if you are out and about. Many of the trees in Punta Arenas are permanently bent in the direction of the prevailing wind and the streets are very clean because trash gets blown away.

Perhaps the most unique port on the whole itinerary is the Falkland Islands, as it is difficult to get there almost any other way. The ship has to anchor a bit away from the harbor and the tender ride takes a while. Now think about tendering 2600 vs 3500 passengers on the Star vs Royal. Additionally, many of the tours are run by the local population (about 4000 on the islands, 2000 in Stanley) utilizing private vehicles. Our tour to see penguins at north pond had room for 12 passengers - you read that right, 12. It was an amazing tour and maybe they ran it twice, but really, the numbers aren't in your favor on a 3500 passenger vessel. We were even in port with the ms Amsterdam which is about 1400 pax and the town felt a bit crowded. There were long tender lines as there was only space for 2 tenders to load and unload simultaneously. Its also a commonly missed port due to weather.

The Star is a great ship for this itinerary. Punta Arenas is similarly difficult to tender into and can be missed. The covered viewing area and pool is a huge plus on this itinerary as Punta Arenas can be sunny and 55 or so in the winter, but the wind blows so consistently it can feel like 20 if you are out and about. Many of the trees in Punta Arenas are permanently bent in the direction of the prevailing wind and the streets are very clean because trash gets blown away.

We also were on the Star and hand no problems.

As for the Falkland Islands, this is one of the best penguin viewing locations in the world. The island has 5 species, with 3 found at volunteer point including Kings (with eggs and chicks). To get there you have to go the last several miles by 4 wheel drive though a bog. One of the roughest rides I had ever been on but worth it. We went with Patrick, who, as anyone has done this with him will tell you, gets drivers from all over the island. Our driver was from an hour away. It took 13 vehicles to get the 48 people in our tour out to the point. Only 5 groups went there that day with no more than 150 guests. This was also booked a year out. I think the Princess tour accounted for 24 or 32. This tour is only done once in each day as the trip is just over 2 hours each way with a few hours of viewing and a sack lunch. Best tour for viewing I have ever been on.

So going back to what was said about 2600 verses 3500, I would do the Star again even though I love the Royal. Entry to the port is small so a much larger boat in the winds may have a bigger chance of not getting in. I think only half of the boats going there ever get in.

Punta Arenas is the port for the day excursion to Antarctica. About 10-15 people missed a bucket list tour on our cruise as well as others missing their Patagonia tour.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I had considered the Antarctica tour, but thankfully it had been cancelled making our choice easy.

Thanks for asking this question. My husband and I are anxiously waiting the posting of the 2019-2020 trips to South America as it will be the 50th Anniversary gift to each other and now we will look at all the ship options when they become available. Hope it will be soon, I get really excited when we have booked our trips.......Anyone know when they might be published?????

Thanks for asking this question. My husband and I are anxiously waiting the posting of the 2019-2020 trips to South America as it will be the 50th Anniversary gift to each other and now we will look at all the ship options when they become available. Hope it will be soon, I get really excited when we have booked our trips.......Anyone know when they might be published?????

Some late 2019 cruises might be out, but I didn't see any SAs when searching. May want to call Princess and ask when they will come out. The longer 30 day cruises are at the begining and end of the sailing season for SA. Don't forget Iguazu falls at either the beginning or end of your cruise.

I'm anxiously awaiting too............hope its soon

You should have been with us on the Crown Princess in late December 2016. In Ushuaia we experienced winds that kept us at the dock for an 6 hours before the ship could push away. Sailing that night was rocking and rolling and when we woke up and my DH took a shower he observed that the bathtub wasn't draining because the ship was tilting so much that all the water collected at the back of the tub! Shortly thereafter the captain announced that he was not going to even try to circumnavigate Cape Horn. No one complained. We could see it in the distance and that was good enough!

oh...We had the same, in Jan....suck at Ushuaia due to high winds...left at 12:30am as I stayed up until we left. Captain did make some time and we made the Horn a few hours later than planned..it ended up being to our advantage, as more light. ..weather was cold/rainy, seas okay..but fortunate not to much rock & roll.