Texting on the grand

yags

There is the princess app that you use. Put your plane in airplane mode. You have to have the other persons shipboard # and add it into your contacts. The only issue with it is that is doesn't notify you if you have a message so you have to check. The instructions on how to set it up will be in your patter. It's pretty simple.

We will be on the Grand going to Alaska on June 25th. What are the texting requirements on board and how are they accomplished? Thanks for the help.

If you mean texting like in cell phone service, it is expensive. Use the internet, wi-fi. You purchase mins. and send/receive e-mail messages.

On the Grand you can purchase unlimited internet now. We had it last month and it works as long as you can send the text via internet like imessage.

If you are talking about texting someone onboard at the same time you are onboard, then the app will work without connecting to the internet.

Edited by heisnuts

Why are you going on a cruise if this is the plan. Anyway charges are based on TIME and service is SLOW

I am sorry but I have no idea what or who you are referring to. Please explain.

On the Grand you can purchase unlimited internet now. We had it last month and it works as long as you can send the text via internet like imessage.

If you are talking about texting someone onboard at the same time you are onboard, then the app will work without connecting to the internet.

Thank you for that info! I'm looking to be able to text other family members who will be on my upcoming cruise..can the app be downloaded ahead of time? And do you still need each other's account info? Thank you much!

The Princess system for your phone will let you send and receive messages from others onboard. The main problem is that depending on where each of you are on the ship, the message may not go through. Service is very spotty around the ship. Another thing is that it won't alert you when you do get a message so you must check regularly. And even then you may have a message but it hasn't got through to your phone.

I guess it's better than nothing.....

You cannot get it until you are on the ship and yes, you'll need their info.

Sorry to sound dumb but what kind of info do you need to make it all work?

Sorry to sound dumb but what kind of info do you need to make it all work?
There is no app to download before you board the Grand. The application you'll need to use is a browser app which you will use in your favorite browser on your smart phone, tablet, or computer.

If the device you'll be using is a smart phone or tablet with a SIM card, you'll need to put it into airplane mode. You'll then need to turn Wi-Fi on in order to connect to the ship's free intranet.

On the Grand, enter grand.princess.com in the address bar of your browser...then tap enter. You'll be brought to a page where you will create an account. After creating your account, tap on Messenger at the bottom of the page. You'll see your access code at the top-right of the page. Give that code to others who you would like to contact you. Enter their code in your Messenger app. Sending a message to someone automatically enters your access code in their Messenger so they can message you.

See a screenshot of the browser app below.

HNsNOZ3dZn3bWkRvNyqGvIouztLElj.png

You enter the number that is on the bottom right side of their cruise card. It's 4 digits.
The four digit number on the cruise card is used when creating an account...it has nothing to do with messaging. The number needed when setting up a contact on the Messages page is an eight digit number.

The four digit number on the cruise card is used when creating an account...it has nothing to do with messaging. The number needed when setting up a contact on the Messages page is an eight digit number.

First, you don't need to sweat any of this in advance. The info is in the patter, and in an information sheet

available from the purser's desk / internet cafe. On Royal/Regal, there was even a tutorial on the television

from time to time.

People sharing the same cabin are automatically in your contacts.

If you wish to add someone else (on the ship) ... they have to open their messenger, and give you this number:

(sort of give me your digits, if your friends are geeks, and their digits are hex)

37916418774_8f1170de46_b.jpg

Some years ago (many) I remember using fairly cheap walkie talkies to communicate with friends on the same ship. Is this ever done anymore? Does it still work?

Funny you should mention that. My sister is a big proponent of walkie talkies. I have heard pros and cons on their effectiveness with all the metal inside the ship. I am sure she is bringing hers I will report back after our June cruise.

• 4 weeks later...
On the Grand you can purchase unlimited internet now. We had it last month

Which internet package did you purchase? I’m trying to confirm that if you buy the ‘social’ package, you are still able to view emails?