2020 world cruise itinerary

Cruise NH

I am signed up for the 2019WC and put a deposit on the 2020. I was very excited about the Antarctic. But after reading more about it, I discovered that you can't really get off the big ship and step onto Antarctica. Is that true?

That is true. No ship with a CAPACITY of (I think) 400 passengers can let people off the ship in Antarctic waters. It's still a FANTASTIC experience with several days of breathtaking scenery. Weather permitting, scientists from Palmer Station will come aboard with presentations, souvenirs, and displays. You will be close enough to hear and smell the penguins and have opportunities for wildlife encounters at other ports.

There are 2 major options if you want to actually set foot in Antarctica. One would be an expedition ship with a likely cost of 15K per person plus another 2K in air fare. The other will be a flight from one of the southern ports to Antarctica for the day. That runs about $3,500 and is cancelled about half the time.

I've been to Antarctica twice with another planned. I was on an Expedition ship in 1997. We made several landings, mostly on Islands off Antarctica and set foot on the Antarctic continent itself just once. It also involves several days of crossing the Drake passage on a small boat.

The second was on the Crystal Symphony in 2016. No landings and storms prevented a rendezvous with the Palmer staff but it was still a fantastic experience. I plan on going again on the 2019 Prinsendam Grand South America.

Roy

Not impressed, the whole east coast of Brasil is garbage, Belem, Recife, watch out for being robbed...

Well, considering that there is no west coast of Brazil, the options were limited.

• 5 weeks later...
DH and I were looking over a globe and realized we've just about completed a world cruise, but in segments. We are missing one small segment, which includes Suez Canal. We found an unusual itinerary on Princess in 2019 that embarks in Rome and disembarks in Singapore. This will complete our "world cruise." You may have already seen this one.

Thanks for the tip. Will look it up!

Jim

Sent from my iPhone using Forums