Project Runway?

BlueHerons

ugh...

For me Mondo was the winner. I did not find his looks "circus-y" if one takes the headpieces out of the mix. (And how many designers put on a runway show without some kind of whimsy.....it's understood that in "real life" the clothes would be styled differently.....) I tend to gravitate towards his kind of graphic patterns and black and white, so perhaps I'm biased. Just the fact that I would be in agreement with Heidi and Jessica S. is enough to make me question myself, lol.

I guess Gretchen has a look that's hip, I get that. It's just not a look that personally appeals to me. Plus, not a big fan of Gretchen herself.

And another thing .. Mondo's is "too young" .. who is going to wear the shorts in Gretchen's collection ?

I see several things in Mondo's collection that I would wear on a cruise in a hot second.

I actually cannot see myself in any of Gretchen's .. but let me disclaim that by saying I have seen things that she did before PR that I would wear constantly so maybe the personality has colored my thinking .. and maybe the color's etc in her line is just so wrong for me that I discounted it out of hand.

Very irritating end to the season. Don't care for Gretchen as a designer and REALLY don't like her as a person. LOVE Mondo! But then I'm sure he'll be very successful regardless, it shouldn't be long before his designs are readily available... I still want his Marie Claire look.

Looking at the collages above (thanks Curt), I'm surprised at myself, but I think I actually like Michael C's collection better than Andy's or Gretchen's. Too bad it's so monotonous. But seriously, the very first gown, on the top left? I'd love to throw that on for formal night on a cruise!

I too am surprised - I think I may have yelled at my TV. I didn't even think Gretchen should have been in the top 4 - I liked the young blonde girl better. And...to drop Michael C because his colors were too much of the same only to have the winner use even less colors? Whatever - at any rate, it was nice to hear so much of the judge's deliberation. Without it, I think many would be left wondering why.

That being said, I really didn't think that Gretchen was as bad as she was first portrayed to be. I'm sure I'm forgetting many things, but I do think she thought she was helping the other designers and, even tonight, she told Tim she was concerned about Mondo. It also seems that Tim and she respect each other, even after his tirade against her.

Also - shout out to Jessica Simpson. For all the comments about her, I think she did a good job and made relevant comments. I'll bet she wasn't the one who caved, but Heidi.

This is just unbelievable..... it is almost as if Gretchen is paying someone off, first to be in the final three and now this. The Project Runway version of John Grisham's "The Appeal". :(

Sitting there listening to Micheal Kors say the exact opposite of what he normally tells designers about commerciality and department-store quality, as if he were twisting and contorting his usual commentary just to make Gretchen's collection come out on top... it was so incredibly frustrating. Thinking of past winners, such as Jay McCarroll and Christian Siriano, and even Seth-Aaron to an extent, there has never been a preference for drab wearability. And other than Mondo's resort wear faux-pas, how often have you ever heard "too young" from Nina?

It is pretty sad when Heidi and JS were the ones making the most sense... though I think Heidi should have called MK on his bluff and put on the polka-dot dress ;)

If Gretchen is the voice of "now" fashion, I dread seeing women walk around in panties as clothing, although they are granny panties.

Did she take her cue from Lady Gaga?

So very sorry that Mondo didn't win...he very much deserved it. But I think he will be successful in the future, all the best to him.

Looks like those here are not the only ones shocked, dismayed, disappointed.

http://blog.zap2it.com/frominsidethebox/2010/10/project-runway-winner-gretchen-jones-makes-it-work-despite-split-judges.html#top-comment-nav

Here's my favorite comment.:p

"its nice to see a woman with a severe personality disorder win. now she can afford to go for therapy if anyone points out to her how nuts she is.. mondo was the clear winner.. but gretchen wins the I'M CRAZY AND WILL UNRAVEL SHORTLY.."

Looks like those here are not the only ones shocked, dismayed, disappointed.

http://blog.zap2it.com/frominsidethebox/2010/10/project-runway-winner-gretchen-jones-makes-it-work-despite-split-judges.html#top-comment-nav

Here's my favorite comment.:p

"its nice to see a woman with a severe personality disorder win. now she can afford to go for therapy if anyone points out to her how nuts she is.. mondo was the clear winner.. but gretchen wins the I'M CRAZY AND WILL UNRAVEL SHORTLY.."

Thanks......I particularly likethis comment:

"Gretchen's clothes looked like woodstock meets caveman meets my granny's underwear." lol!

It occurred to me last night after I posted that Gretchen's line looked more like it belonged on "The Fashion Show" (which was supposedly about more accessible fashion) than on "Project Runway". Considering how much the judges seemed to hate her clothes last week before she reaccessorized and upped the drama (better hair and make-up, heels instead of flats), are you trying to tell me that they LIKED her actual designs better just because she styled them better?

I personally think it's a little bit of ego on Michael and Nina's part. Gretchen listened to what they said and made changes. So Gretchen won. Mondo stayed true to his own vision and didn't tone things done as they had suggested. So Mondo didn't win.

Nevermind that every fashion forum today is full of everyday people claiming they find Gretchen's clothes fugly.....Gretchen has her finger on the pulse of what women want!!

I think ORANGE MAN and Nina now have zero credibility.

All they did was contradict most everything they said on previous episodes.....fashion forward being one of their biggies. If this is fashion forward, God help us all.

CJW WHERE ARE YOU??? Make some sense out of this travesty.:confused::(

Edited by iheartbda

Sooooo disappointed. I haven't felt this bad about a TV show since Adam Lambert lost American Idol. I was happy thinking Mondo had it in the bag. Also thought it was disingenuous to talk about his collection being too young when Betsey Johnson was in the audience -- she's built a long successful career on "young" clothes.

As a 40-something I have to say that I thought Andy's collection was surprisingly lovely and the most wearable for the most people. This season my own opinion has proven to be a dead giveaway that the judges wouldn't pick it. :)

Just relieved now that I don't have to listen to Gretchen's voice every week.

My goodness .. it was pointed out to me that I in fact own a Gretchen Jones design .. and didn't realize it. Her line is called "MothLove" (anyone surprised ?) ... but a few years ago it was all accessories and she did some rather clever belts from vintage scrap leather. I was given one as a gift and I must say I really like it a lot. She also did a lot of pheasant feather headbands that were quite the fad for a bit here ..

For some reason my "on demand" did not record the finale. Now I'm glad I didn't see it.

I had already seen all the collections, thanks to a poster here (I was quite taken with April's -- very different from the shows; as was Andy's).

Aren't these spring or summer collections? Gretchen's colors seem all wrong to me.

I am so sad to learn Mondo did not win. Well, he won with all of us and millions more. What does that say?

I just went back and looked at CJW's montages again, pretending I was young and svelte -- what would I really want to wear? Pretty much everything Mondo and Andy showed. People would look at you and remember you in those clothes -- in a good way as someone with confidence and style.

Possibly that one thin strapped print dress Gretchen made. But only if I wanted to be unnoticed.

And she's the winner?

41594_200736335550_9166_q.jpgMichael Kors - The Official Page Such a tough decision on Project Runway this year. Unfortunately two people can't win. Thought Gretchen's wearable, relaxed chic was a different attitude for PR. Both Mondo and Gretchen, SO talented. BOTH will have great futures! - MK

I think this is an interesting comment .. after he mentioned on the show that Mondo's line was reminiscent of Seth Aaron's runway look from last season. Perhaps that "different attitude for PR" explains some of his reasoning.

41594_200736335550_9166_q.jpgMichael Kors - The Official Page Such a tough decision on Project Runway this year. Unfortunately two people can't win. Thought Gretchen's wearable, relaxed chic was a different attitude for PR. Both Mondo and Gretchen, SO talented. BOTH will have great futures! - MK

I think this is an interesting comment .. after he mentioned on the show that Mondo's line was reminiscent of Seth Aaron's runway look from last season. Perhaps that "different attitude for PR" explains some of his reasoning.

Yes, but easy to say after the fact. I saw nothing the whole season that indicated or even hinted that maybe they might be looking for a different attitude. If that's what they wanted, they could have let the viewers in on the secret and people could have looked at the show in a different light.

I would have had no problem if they said, this year we're going to change what we're looking for and break away from previous seasons. To me, it seemed like they had the same parameters then.....BAM!

......or perhaps it's just damage control; they have to be waking up to the realization that their "winner" is universally unpopular!

This is slightly OT to the current discussion but I would love to see Tim Gunn "let it all hang out" on the winner like he did in this video on the Jackie Kennedy challenge.

http://www.realityblurred.com/realitytv/archives/project_runway_8/2010_Sep_23_gunn_producers_video

Thanks for the video - I went to a book signing before this episode and he said how there was one episode where he had to go up to the judges, but only said he thought it was the next one. I didn't see any conflict during that particular show so I never knew what he was talking about.

Also appreciate his shout out to Gretchen for helping him explain the challenge to the other designers. I still don't think she deserved to win, but my opinion of her has improved over the course of the show. I don't think she's a b***h, so much as just rather humorless and serious about her work.

Regardless, Mondo should have won!

And another thing .. Mondo's is "too young" .. who is going to wear the shorts in Gretchen's collection ?

I see several things in Mondo's collection that I would wear on a cruise in a hot second.

I actually cannot see myself in any of Gretchen's .. but let me disclaim that by saying I have seen things that she did before PR that I would wear constantly so maybe the personality has colored my thinking .. and maybe the color's etc in her line is just so wrong for me that I discounted it out of hand.

Those were not shorts in Gretchen's collection, but underpants. I would not be seen in most of her fashion week designs.

My favorite of Gretchen's outfits was the black dress in the first challenge. I would definitely wear that.

However, I would have aufed Gretchen after the "Heidie Collection" challenge. Her attitude was nasty, and her asymetrical skirt with the biker shorts reminded me of my mother's girdles.

I felt badly that Michael C did not get to show at fashion week. His gowns were lovely, and I thought that he could have produced a worthy collection.

Michael was criticized for being monochromatic---all one color scheme. But didn't Andy do the same?

I hope that Michael will continue in his career. I want to see more from him.

Next season, the show should return to it's earlier formats, with more inputs from the models.

Those were not shorts in Gretchen's collection, but underpants. I would not be seen in most of her fashion week designs.

My favorite of Gretchen's outfits was the black dress in the first challenge. I would definitely wear that.

However, I would have aufed Gretchen after the "Heidie Collection" challenge. Her attitude was nasty, and her asymetrical skirt with the biker shorts reminded me of my mother's girdles.

I felt badly that Michael C did not get to show at fashion week. His gowns were lovely, and I thought that he could have produced a worthy collection.

Michael was criticized for being monochromatic---all one color scheme. But didn't Andy do the same?

I hope that Michael will continue in his career. I want to see more from him.

Next season, the show should return to it's earlier formats, with more inputs from the models.

Agreed, agreed, agreed. The only difference between Michael and Andy is that Andy used two colors instead of one. That being said, Michael had used a range of bronzes and browns whereas Andy literally used the two same exact shades over and over again. In that sense, Michael actually had more of a color range. I like Michael's collection slightly better than Andy's, and MUCH better than Gretchen's. His evening gowns are so elegant, the draping is lovely, and the slits that show off some leg are just enough sexy and still classy. (I would KILL to have one of those gowns for formal night on a cruise!) And his cocktail dress with the feathered skirt was right on trend this season. And - and this is a big plus - not a granny panty in sight! I hope to see more from him as well. I would buy tons from both him and Mondo. There are things in Andy's collection I'd love to have as well - I don't think his was as bad as the judges seemed to think - loved the green dress, adored the overlooked green bolero, and a few other items.