Norwegian Jewel - Disappointing - Hongkong to Tokyo March 21, 2018 -

AusQueen

I think this was me I put a short review on here about the segment from Sydney to Singapore.

The staff were overworked in some areas at peak times and this is down to rotas supplied not by them but by management.

In one of the bars nearest to the theatre they had one person working when the theatres were coming out. Stupid planning.

at peak times when people were coming away from the pools and back from trips they had one person serving he was rude stressed and very unfriendly he was called Abdul. I saw numerous altercations between him and guests. He shouted at people to get in line.

As I stated there was some of the worse customer service I have even come across on a cruise.

Lambasted me all you want I am telling you what I witnessed on this Jewel cruise

Just another reason to enjoy not drinking alcohol. Any problems with the water?

I think this was me I put a short review on here about the segment from Sydney to Singapore.

The staff were overworked in some areas at peak times and this is down to rotas supplied not by them but by management.

In one of the bars nearest to the theatre they had one person working when the theatres were coming out. Stupid planning.

at peak times when people were coming away from the pools and back from trips they had one person serving he was rude stressed and very unfriendly he was called Abdul. I saw numerous altercations between him and guests. He shouted at people to get in line.

As I stated there was some of the worse customer service I have even come across on a cruise.

Lambasted me all you want I am telling you what I witnessed on this Jewel cruise

Not surprised at all by your comments. If you read my original lengthy post, we were subjected to a few of them as well. It was unbelievable. We have cruised with Norwegian before and the staff behavior and culture in this ship is different. It is sad because some of them are trying their best. Hopefully, management will wake up and sort this mess out.

I have been subjected to ridicule and abuse here for stating the facts of our experience.

And in reply to another post here that was addressed to you jaxw117, in our case we hardly touched the alcohol on board. Hence, our observation was never muddled or confused. And yes, they even stuffed up the delivery of the 12 prepaid water bottles we ordered because they did not have stock due to an admin ordering error. Who runs a ship this size and not have bottled water available for their guests???? It took three follow ups during our first day before the truth came out. We got the water the next day.....

The people working at the port work for the port they don't work for NCL. They probably have no idea what you are talking about. Did you try talking to them in their language as a guest to their country? As a person going to visit this region you must know about the visa requirements...

The food was salty? Did you try asking for something cooked with less salt? They would have accommodated it. Things are stressful when you have a family emergency, trust me I understand and it is hard to be away from home during these times, I have lived overseas for almost 6 years. .

As I have stated before, I knew those porters do not work for NCL. I have no issues about that nor do I have an issue with them not wearing the uniform or IDs. All I was expecting was for their area of work to have been properly marked as NCL so as not to cause concern as to where our luggage was going after getting off the car . There were 2 ships at the port that day. No signs and proper representatives made it confusing.

I may have been a guest in their country BUT I dont think I should be expected to speak Chinese - LOL.

I complied with all the visa requirements, etc. I never blamed them for this - if you read my post.

On the food being salty, Yes - I did call the attention of the Maitre d in both the La Cucina and Le Bistro. They apologized and told me that a few people did comment on their food being salty but they could not do anything because and I quote - their Chef is Hindu. Most of the dishes in these restaurants have been cooked in batches. Hence, altering it would be difficult without affecting the presentation, etc. It is not up to the guest to correct these things to enjoy a good dinner. Somehow the management should review its quality standards with how their food is prepared. I really don't care if their chef is from Timbuktu or wherever for as long as the dish would be better.

As far as the family emergency that everyone cheering for NCL has been blaming for our stress, please note the emergency happened on Day 8. The blunders of NCL started on Day 1 and continued on a daily basis till Day 9 of an 11 day cruise! I could not believe I would be in a NCL cruise and experienced all these. NCL is a good brand and the Jewel is not representing it well.

Edited by AusQueen
error iin typing

I was on that cruise last month (HK to Tokyo). I was in a suite so I did not see the regular boarding process. But, there was definitely a delay getting on the ship. Our Uber driver dropped us off at the wrong location so we did not encounter the porters, we had to take our luggage in ourselves to the cruise terminal to drop them off.

There were about 400 people on the cruise that did not have the proper visa for China and were not allowed off the ship for the Chinese ports. I know that NCL has a line in the cruise docs that says you have to get the right visas, but given the destination country they probably should have inserted a line saying you need a visa to enter China and you have to get it in advance. Part of this probably falls on the travel agent involved. Since you can enter Hong Kong without a visa, people assumed they would not need one for the rest of the trip.

This was the first cruise the NCL has done to a few of the ports. In fact a couple of the ports were new and still under construction. There were bound to be snags.

And yes NCL treats minisuites as just glorified balconies. It is deceptive since they use suite in the name. RCL has junior suites, that have a couple of privileges like using the suite lines for check in and able to use the coastal kitchen on the big ships, but pretty much just a glorified balcony for everything else.

We never have made reservations in the NCL dining room, I would only consider doing so if I had a large party.

:halo:

And in reply to another post here that was addressed to you jaxw117, in our case we hardly touched the alcohol on board. Hence, our observation was never muddled or confused. And yes, they even stuffed up the delivery of the 12 prepaid water bottles we ordered because they did not have stock due to an admin ordering error. Who runs a ship this size and not have bottled water available for their guests???? It took three follow ups during our first day before the truth came out. We got the water the next day.....

WOW You went a whole day without bottled water!!!! The horrors!!!!!

Priority check-in simply means there is a line reserved for Latitudes members. That’s what starts at Bronze. This is basically pointless since you will be in that line unless it is your first Norwegian cruise. Suites and Haven have their own check-in area.

“Priority” check-in is not canapés and special treatment. It is a banner that says “Latitudes.”

Sent from my iPad using Forums

My Boston to Bermuda cruise had a very long line for new cruisers and almost noone in the latitudes check-in line. So sometimes it is not pointless. Just saying.

WOW You went a whole day without bottled water!!!! The horrors!!!!!

Ended up consuming the Acqua Panna glass bottled water offered in the cabin. Not free of course ! Just glad they supplied us with a pitcher of ice.

• 4 months later...
Not the greatest thing to read as I am embarking next month in Yokohama. As that is the first time NCL is doing that transpacific repositioning I fear worst in regards of how smoothly things will be organized.

I never know what to expect from latitudes embarkation as well. Last time in New York I was sent to a single line bypassing everyone waiting for the security X-ray machine getting there directly to the front and then a special platinum plus/ambassador check-in. Would love if that is the worldwide standard.

It's the first and last repositioning cruise on this route. We are so disappointed we had to cancel. 2019 the Jewel is coming back down through Hawaii and the Pacific islands.

Sue

We were on the Jewel in 2016 and loved the ship. It was my first cruise on NCL since 1995 on the Norway, and made us go on the Escape and book on the Encore. It was a great ship and had a great crew. It showed some age, but nothing that would affect our cruise.