Switching rooms onboard

Blockschip

This may seem an odd question, and probably reflects my ignorance on how rooms are handled, but we just booked a week or so ago (due to a change in vacation plans) for myself, DW, 14yo and 16yo, and the only rooms I could get were adjacent, not connecting. Cruise starts Saturday. What would I do once onboard, or beforehand, to get us moved to connecting rooms (if available) even if it entailed moving up a category?

I would contact customer service now. I do not see it happening on the ship and really I do not even think customer service can help you. Most cruise ships are sailing almost full these days. With a week to go the upgrades have already been done. Good luck Customer Service is your best option.

Is there any ruling that kids have to be of a certain age to be in thier own cabin if not connecting ?

I would have thought that at 14 even with an older sibling they would only let you have connecting cabins

Just a thought I don’t know if it’s fact

Worth an ask

If they happen to be adjacent balcony cabins, you may be able to open between the balconies, effectively creating connecting cabins. This only applies to Solstice Class ships but if you're on one of those, it can be done.

The only difference between connecting cabins on S- Class ship and adjacent cabins are that with connecting cabin they will pull the door closed in the hallway and both sets of keys will operate the outer door. This creates a small vestibule and then you need to key into the regular cabin door or keep those doors open.

With S-class it’s not a big difference connecting cabins vs adjacent - just get extra keys for the boys cabin and like someone suggested open the balcony between the 2 cabins - so you have options for going between the 2 cabins.

M-class ships have the connecting room in center of cabin- like traditional hotel connecting room configuration.