Iconic Western Mediterranean/Cancelled overnight in Barcelona!

A&D Cruising

Disappointed to receive a message from Viking that the overnight Docking in Barcelona has been cancelled. Montpellier, France is now scheduled for Day 2. So glad we are arriving 2 days prior to cruising. Not much chance to discover the wonders of Barcelona if you set sail on the first day.! :(:(

Disappointed to receive a message from Viking that the overnight Docking in Barcelona has been cancelled. Montpellier, France is now scheduled for Day 2. So glad we are arriving 2 days prior to cruising. Not much chance to discover the wonders of Barcelona if you set sail on the first day.! :(:(

Sorry to hear this. Barcelona is one of our favorite cities. We were just there in February where we boarded the Star for a B2B.

Did they give you a reason for the itinerary change? When is your sailing?

Glad you will still be able to experience Barcelona for an extra couple of days anyway!

Sorry to hear about the itinerary change. Please let us know if Viking gives you a reason. We are taking the same cruise next summer, July 2019 but it starts in Rome and ends with two days in Barcelona.

Sorry to hear about the itinerary change. Please let us know if Viking gives you a reason. We are taking the same cruise next summer, July 2019 but it starts in Rome and ends with two days in Barcelona.

Message said "logistical considerations". Who knows what that means! Perhaps too many ships in port?

Our sail date is July 15, 2018. We specifically chose this itinerary because of the 2 days in Barcelona.

Don't hold your breathe. Changes like this happen every now and then and Viking is not in the habit of giving reasons for operational changes. However, Viking spends a lot of time in Barcelona and so far, they have had to make changes like this only a couple of times (and usually at the very last minutes). I get the impression that this is a one time change for this sail date only and not a permanent change to the itinerary. I am sure that Viking is no more thrilled about his change than are its passenger. They have to cancel a whole day of tours with a local contractor who has done very well by them over the years plus they have to figure out a days worth of touring for Montpelier. Fortunately, they have been giving advanced warning and have been able to inform their guests three months in advance.

I have myself and 33 other clients on this same sailing. Be sure to call the customer relations number and complain. I made 2 phone calls this morning and sent an email stating that they literally took any chance of seeing Barcelona out of the plans for any late flight arrivals. I have asked them to arrange some of the optional city tours for the early flight arrivals and to hopefully delay the ship's departure to allow others to at least have a few hours in Barcelona. What a disappointment and I would have never booked this itinerary the way it stands now. For others who have this booked, I would book the precruise stay in Barcelona if sailing to Barcelona to Rome to guarantee you will see the city. If you know of anyone else sailing on this date, please encourage them to call and complain as well.

I have myself and 33 other clients on this same sailing. Be sure to call the customer relations number and complain. I made 2 phone calls this morning and sent an email stating that they literally took any chance of seeing Barcelona out of the plans for any late flight arrivals. I have asked them to arrange some of the optional city tours for the early flight arrivals and to hopefully delay the ship's departure to allow others to at least have a few hours in Barcelona. What a disappointment and I would have never booked this itinerary the way it stands now. For others who have this booked, I would book the precruise stay in Barcelona if sailing to Barcelona to Rome to guarantee you will see the city. If you know of anyone else sailing on this date, please encourage them to call and complain as well.

Is your group on the July 15 sailing from Barcelona to Rome?

Really, calling to complain will get you nowhere, other than on a list of complainers. They already know that people are upset about this change but there is nothing that they can do to change it back if the port authorities have told them that they must leave that day. Of course you would not have booked the itinerary as it stands now but unfortunately these things happen and there is nothing that you can do to change it back. In fact, if you had taken the time to read the fine print of the contract, you would have seen that Viking (and most other cruise lines) reserve the right to make whatever changes to the itinerary they see fit. As it states quite clearly in the terms and conditions:

Viking reserves the right to withdraw and/or cancel a tour or to make changes in the itinerary and hotel accommodations whenever, in its sole judgment, or in the judgment of the vessel Carrier or owner, conditions warrant it. In the event of charters of the vessels, adverse weather or water conditions, mechanical or other issues with the ship, docking issues, government or other authority actions, truces, lockouts, riots or stoppage of labor from whatever cause or for any other reason whatsoever, the Carrier or Owner of the vessels identified herein may, at any time, cancel, advance, alter, substitute or postpone any scheduled tour and may, but is not obliged to, substitute another vessel or itinerary and shall not be liable for any loss whatsoever to guests by reason of any such cancellation, advancement or postponement except as specifically set forth in the Passenger Ticket Contract.

So, really don't call to complain. Instead, call to request that shuttle buses be available that day if Viking is not already planning them and to find out what time you have to be back on board for departure. Then move on to making plans to see what you can see with short amount of time you will have in Barcelona. My suggestion is to use one of the hop-on-hop-off buses that stops on the Esplanade in front of the World Trade center (same place the shuttle buses drop off) and just ride the loop. My other suggestion is to pick one place to see -- Sagrada Familia or the Cathedral or a tour of the Palau de Musica or Parque Guell or even just a walk down Las Ramblas from Placa Catalunya to Monumento Colom--taking a cab from the ship to the destination and then back again. If you are planning on Sagrada Familia or a tour of Palau de Musica, buy tickets in advance.

Yes, it is very unfortunate that Viking has had to take away time in Barcelona but really, and this I can tell you from personal experience, you will be a lot happier if you accept the fact that things are not going to happen exactly as planned.

Really, calling to complain will get you nowhere, other than on a list of complainers. They already know that people are upset about this change but there is nothing that they can do to change it back if the port authorities have told them that they must leave that day. Of course you would not have booked the itinerary as it stands now but unfortunately these things happen and there is nothing that you can do to change it back. In fact, if you had taken the time to read the fine print of the contract, you would have seen that Viking (and most other cruise lines) reserve the right to make whatever changes to the itinerary they see fit. As it states quite clearly in the terms and conditions:

Viking reserves the right to withdraw and/or cancel a tour or to make changes in the itinerary and hotel accommodations whenever, in its sole judgment, or in the judgment of the vessel Carrier or owner, conditions warrant it. In the event of charters of the vessels, adverse weather or water conditions, mechanical or other issues with the ship, docking issues, government or other authority actions, truces, lockouts, riots or stoppage of labor from whatever cause or for any other reason whatsoever, the Carrier or Owner of the vessels identified herein may, at any time, cancel, advance, alter, substitute or postpone any scheduled tour and may, but is not obliged to, substitute another vessel or itinerary and shall not be liable for any loss whatsoever to guests by reason of any such cancellation, advancement or postponement except as specifically set forth in the Passenger Ticket Contract.

So, really don't call to complain. Instead, call to request that shuttle buses be available that day if Viking is not already planning them and to find out what time you have to be back on board for departure. Then move on to making plans to see what you can see with short amount of time you will have in Barcelona. My suggestion is to use one of the hop-on-hop-off buses that stops on the Esplanade in front of the World Trade center (same place the shuttle buses drop off) and just ride the loop. My other suggestion is to pick one place to see -- Sagrada Familia or the Cathedral or a tour of the Palau de Musica or Parque Guell or even just a walk down Las Ramblas from Placa Catalunya to Monumento Colom--taking a cab from the ship to the destination and then back again. If you are planning on Sagrada Familia or a tour of Palau de Musica, buy tickets in advance.

Yes, it is very unfortunate that Viking has had to take away time in Barcelona but really, and this I can tell you from personal experience, you will be a lot happier if you accept the fact that things are not going to happen exactly as planned.

(y)

One more reason to have pre-cruise night/s. There is something in your power.

I think you are heading straight to Marseilles, not Montpellier, for your overnight. This will give you 2 nights in Marseilles rather than 2 nights in Barcelona. We were on the same itinerary as you in January and we missed San Tropez because of weather. We ended up staying 2 nights in Monte Carlo instead.

Things like this happen with cruises for any number of reasons. It's disappointing, sure, but it gives you reason to book another cruise to revisit what you missed. I'll never forget the cruise we booked specifically because Malta was on the itinerary and we missed it because of a storm. It didn't take me long to find another cruise the following year and that time we did make it! Or look at the people who missed Algiers and Tunis because of unrest in those countries. What can anyone say but sometimes ship happens. :cool:

I think you are heading straight to Marseilles, not Montpellier, for your overnight. This will give you 2 nights in Marseilles rather than 2 nights in Barcelona. We were on the same itinerary as you in January and we missed San Tropez because of weather. We ended up staying 2 nights in Monte Carlo instead.

Things like this happen with cruises for any number of reasons. It's disappointing, sure, but it gives you reason to book another cruise to revisit what you missed. I'll never forget the cruise we booked specifically because Malta was on the itinerary and we missed it because of a storm. It didn't take me long to find another cruise the following year and that time we did make it! Or look at the people who missed Algiers and Tunis because of unrest in those countries. What can anyone say but sometimes ship happens. :cool:

I understand that things like this happen and may be out of Viking's control. We will certainly try to make the best of it. But we are definitely (if things don't change again) in Montpellier on Day 2. MY JOURNEY has all of the shore excursions listed for that port. I'm still wondering if this change is specific to our sailing only. General info for the itinerary still lists 2 days in Barcelona on Viking's website.

Peregrina 651-- As always you are the voice of reason and are a source of good advice and suggestions. I know that you have sailed this itinerary and am hoping that you have the time to communicate and answer some specific questions. You are a wealth of information. Thanks

Peregrina 651-- As always you are the voice of reason and are a source of good advice and suggestions. I know that you have sailed this itinerary and am hoping that you have the time to communicate and answer some specific questions. You are a wealth of information. Thanks

Ask away! There are a number of us who have done this itinerary and are happy to answer questions.

I understand that things like this happen and may be out of Viking's control. We will certainly try to make the best of it. But we are definitely (if things don't change again) in Montpellier on Day 2. MY JOURNEY has all of the shore excursions listed for that port. I'm still wondering if this change is specific to our sailing only. General info for the itinerary still lists 2 days in Barcelona on Viking's website.

The website is not always as accurate on these things as the CC grapevine and so far no one has piped in to say that their sailing has been changed as well. Also, you could try checking out the other roll calls for this itinerary. It is a good idea to follow the other roll calls anyway, because you never know what you will learn from them.

The website is not always as accurate on these things as the CC grapevine and so far no one has piped in to say that their sailing has been changed as well. Also, you could try checking out the other roll calls for this itinerary. It is a good idea to follow the other roll calls anyway, because you never know what you will learn from them.

I have been doing this for our upcoming fall sailing of Trade Routes of the Middle Ages, a new itinerary. I have found some very helpful suggestions from others who are taking earlier sailings, especially as I plan our shore excursions.

Well I am stumped! Where are you docking? Port-Vendres?

I totally understand the fine print and the ability of the cruise line to change the itinerary and it is alright to call and voice your frustration but I would also hope that they would encourage Viking to set up some up the optional tours for that day and be sure the shuttles are running. This is a major stop to take away from their guests without offering whatever they can to make the best of a bad situation. We will go with the flow and make the best of it as always! Viking has always done a terrific job in the past and I expect them to step up to the plate on this as well.

I'm curious...they are still 3 months away from their sailing, if someone wanted to change their flights to arrive earlier so that they can explore Barcelona, would the associated fee be something that Travel insurance would typically cover?

Can't say for sure,but doubtful! If you used Viking Air they might be able to do something this far out -- especially if you are not ticketed yet.

Can't say for sure,but doubtful! If you used Viking Air they might be able to do something this far out -- especially if you are not ticketed yet.

And if you can, you would have to pay the deviation fee, any change in the fare AND lose your transfers.

As for covered by travel insurance, since it is a voluntary change, it is probably not covered under the terms of the policy.

UK website still showing 2 days in Barcelona.

It probably will not change on the Viking website because the change is only affecting one sailing and the website is does not really seem to be set up to deal with individual variations to an itinerary. The change will show on MVJ, which can only be seen by those who are booked for that date.