"LIVE" - Ovation of the Seas (April 9-26, 2018), Bill & Marie's slow boat to China

Thanks for the additional photos!

Blurred photos is also a complaint I have about digital cameras. There doesn't seem to be a good setting for getting sharp, clear pictures. Correction -- there probably is a setting, I just haven't found it yet! I judge my camera by the way it does no flash photography during the ice shows onboard. Some cameras do an excellent job without the flash.

Blurred photos is also a complaint I have about digital cameras. There doesn't seem to be a good setting for getting sharp, clear pictures. Correction -- there probably is a setting, I just haven't found it yet! I judge my camera by the way it does no flash photography during the ice shows onboard. Some cameras do an excellent job without the flash.

My big Nikon is digital too but it is a DSLR and has the shot recovery and the lens has image stabilization that avoids so many blurred pictures. Live and learn

There are several reasons why a photo may be blurry...motion blur from objects moving quickly, camera shake, and poor focus. You can eliminate motion blur by using a fast shutter speed. The specific shutter speed needed will depend on several factors but 1/1000 second should be OK. If you have a point and shoot camera that does not have the ability to dial in a specific shutter speed, look for a sports mode setting. Sports mode is typically designed for high shutter speeds to capture action sports. This mode is good to "freeze" anything that is moving fast...not just for sports.

If you have a more capable DSLR and want more direct control, put it in shutter priority mode. This is a semi-automatic mode where you dial in the shutter speed and the camera will automatically adjust other settings (aperture and ISO) so that you get a good exposure for the shutter speed that you selected. Note that there are limits to how fast you can set your shutter speed, especially in low light situations. You may also find that your camera chooses a very high ISO setting to compensate for your fast shutter speed. This can result in very grainy/noisy images. More expensive cameras general make better quality images at high ISO settings, allowing them to shoot with faster shutter speeds in lower light situations. Lots of good info on the internet on shutter priority mode. Here's one good site:

https://digital-photography-school.com/aperture-and-shutter-priority-modes/

If blurry photos are a result of the camera shaking as you shoot rather than from fast moving objects, you can do several things:

1. Prop the camera on a surface, lean against a wall/post, support the camera or your arms on your knees, or brace your elbows against your body. These all help keep the camera steady when shooting.

2. Use a short shutter time delay (e.g. 2 seconds) so that the camera waits a bit before taking the picture after you've pressed the shutter button. This helps if physically pushing the shutter button causes the camera to move. Just be sure to hold the camera steady until the picture is taken.

3. Many cameras take the picture when you push down on the shutter button, not when you release the shutter button. You can therefore press and hold the button down, and then release the button after the image is taken. This avoids camera shake from releasing the button. Imagine slowly and continuously pushing the button rather than stabbing at it.

4. Set your camera to take multiple images in a row very quickly. You may find that the first few images in such a quick series are blurry but a later image is not. Just keep one good image and delete the rest. The downside to this approach is that the one good image in the series may be when the ice skater has already landed rather than being in air in the middle of a jump. It works best when you don't need to precisely time when you want to take a shot.

Note that flash won't help in low light situations unless you are very close to your subject, or have a very powerful flash.

There are several reasons why a photo may be blurry...motion blur from objects moving quickly, camera shake, and poor focus. You can eliminate motion blur by using a fast shutter speed. The specific shutter speed needed will depend on several factors but 1/1000 second should be OK. If you have a point and shoot camera that does not have the ability to dial in a specific shutter speed, look for a sports mode setting. Sports mode is typically designed for high shutter speeds to capture action sports. This mode is good to "freeze" anything that is moving fast...not just for sports.

If you have a more capable DSLR and want more direct control, put it in shutter priority mode. This is a semi-automatic mode where you dial in the shutter speed and the camera will automatically adjust other settings (aperture and ISO) so that you get a good exposure for the shutter speed that you selected. Note that there are limits to how fast you can set your shutter speed, especially in low light situations. You may also find that your camera chooses a very high ISO setting to compensate for your fast shutter speed. This can result in very grainy/noisy images. More expensive cameras general make better quality images at high ISO settings, allowing them to shoot with faster shutter speeds in lower light situations. Lots of good info on the internet on shutter priority mode. Here's one good site:

https://digital-photography-school.com/aperture-and-shutter-priority-modes/

If blurry photos are a result of the camera shaking as you shoot rather than from fast moving objects, you can do several things:

1. Prop the camera on a surface, lean against a wall/post, support the camera or your arms on your knees, or brace your elbows against your body. These all help keep the camera steady when shooting.

2. Use a short shutter time delay (e.g. 2 seconds) so that the camera waits a bit before taking the picture after you've pressed the shutter button. This helps if physically pushing the shutter button causes the camera to move. Just be sure to hold the camera steady until the picture is taken.

3. Many cameras take the picture when you push down on the shutter button, not when you release the shutter button. You can therefore press and hold the button down, and then release the button after the image is taken. This avoids camera shake from releasing the button. Imagine slowly and continuously pushing the button rather than stabbing at it.

4. Set your camera to take multiple images in a row very quickly. You may find that the first few images in such a quick series are blurry but a later image is not. Just keep one good image and delete the rest. The downside to this approach is that the one good image in the series may be when the ice skater has already landed rather than being in air in the middle of a jump. It works best when you don't need to precisely time when you want to take a shot.

Note that flash won't help in low light situations unless you are very close to your subject, or have a very powerful flash.

All good suggestions, thanks for taking the time to post the information. :) I do have a sports setting, as well as the one for multiple images in a row. I need to play around and see which works best in specific settings. I can also set a specific shutter speed. My camera is relatively new (to me), so I need to familiarize myself with it. I've been pretty complacent up to now.:rolleyes::)

• 3 weeks later...
Excellent review Bill thanks so much for taking the time to post. Your photos are Stunning.

Am even more exited for my Oct sailing Bejing to Singapore.

Lucky you. Have a great cruise.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S8 using Tapatalk