Alternatives to 10 hour bus ride from Seward to Denali

DeeAndKevB

Hi

I am soooo confused. Cruising for the first time.HAL from Vancouver to Seward, then three days at Denali,

I did the pre-cruise online check-in. I was quite surprised to read in my itinerary that there is a TEN hour bus ride from Seward to Denali! Trying to find a better alternative.

The best I could find was to take one of those great trains THat leave form Anchorage. 8 hours long, but at least you can walk around drink and eat... Then there’s the problem of how to get to Anchorage. Would we take a miles? Any ideas? Has anyone taken the ten hour bus ride?

Hi DeeAndKevB, as you are finding out, Alaska is very large. VERY large. Getting to and from takes nearly a full day from any of the major entry points. And then, once there, getting well into the park can also take nearly a day.

I suspect that HAL has tried to get you the most park time possible. There is one train per day from Anchorage to Denali, and it leaves at 8:15 in the morning, arriving Denali at 3:40 in the afternoon. To take the train to Anchorage in order to transfer to the Denali Star, you would need to leave Seward at 6:00 pm the night before, arriving Anchorage at 10:15 for an overnight.

If HAL has you on a motor coach that goes directly to Denali, that sounds good. And if you then get 3 full days in the park, then -- wow -- that sounds great! It is probably a fairly nice motor coach, and not a rickety bus.

Others will likely chime in and direct you to the Alaska board, but I thought I would also try to answer your question.

Thank you soooo much for the precise answer! I really had no idea of the size of Alaska! I was shocked to find out that it’s another 8 hours on a. Is to get into the park! I’m such a rube, The Cruise dates start exactly 8weeks after my husbands prostate surgery (TMI ?) If I had bought insurance, I probably would have cancelled. I’m trying to make this adventure as exhaustion free as possible. And with all of these bus rides....the one in the park probably being bumpy I’m assuming...I hope I don’t kill him! Zip lining is out, along with the vigorous hike excursion I planned.Do you know anything about the “Luggage Direct” that picks up,your luggage from your home and delivers them to your stateroom? I’m thinking that’ll be one headache ( and other ache) he can avoid. Might be worth the $$. Thanks for listening to my vent... Lesson learned: Do Not wait till you retire to travel!

One final question: if it’s 125 miles from Seward to anchorage, why would we have to leave the night before ? Could we grab a cab at 4:30am to get to anchorage? I think that was two questions

Edited by DeeAndKevB
Add another question

The way we did it, we took the evening train from Seward to Anchorage and then rented a car from Anchorage to Denali the next day (we were flying home out of Anchorage later so the round trip rental was cheap). The train ride is relaxing and the views are great, we splurged for the Gold Star dome seats as we figured this might be a one time trip.

The train was about four hours from Seward to Anchorage and the car was about 5.5 hours from Anchorage to Denali. But one of the downsides we had - the train arrives at 10:30pm and we wanted to get going early the next morning in the car. While the drive is easy, it is still tiring when we were running on little sleep.

Check out AlaskaTrain.com - they are the ones that run the buses and trains. Even the HAL train cars would be attached to the Alaska Train engines. You should be able to compare rates and see times for any leg of your journey.

For the bus ride in the park, it is a long day. The buses look like school buses but they do have individual seats. The roads aren't too bumpy but the majority of them are gravel. Make sure you grab food before you head in as there is no place to get food once inside the park.

Thanks for your suggestions! I think we’ve decided that we will unfortunately forget about going to Denali altogether. I’m sure I’m losing a ton of money, but it won’t be worth the anticipated agony and/or humiliation my husband would suffer as a result of so many long bumpy bus rides. We’re gonna bite the bullet and disembark at Seward and catch that McKinley train to Anchorage. We always wanted to do that anyway, so won’t be a complete lose. Disappointed of course. But at least we’ll get the cruise for 7 days. And I’m sure there will be lots to do in Anchorage !

Should have bought cruise insurance I suppose. Live and learn

I know you have made up your mind but a 10 hour bus rise isn't all that bad. We have done that and longer all over Europe. Not to mention the coaches/buses we have taken have had all ages on with the coach ones in particular having many over 45 and up to 80.

Legally there has to be a certain amount of stops (incl in that time limit) and service stops for toilets and hot food...this is what happens in Europe anyhow.

If you want to see somewhere enough its worth it.

Hi

I am soooo confused. Cruising for the first time.HAL from Vancouver to Seward, then three days at Denali,

I did the pre-cruise online check-in. I was quite surprised to read in my itinerary that there is a TEN hour bus ride from Seward to Denali! Trying to find a better alternative.

The best I could find was to take one of those great trains THat leave form Anchorage. 8 hours long, but at least you can walk around drink and eat... Then there’s the problem of how to get to Anchorage. Would we take a miles? Any ideas? Has anyone taken the ten hour bus ride?

Take the ship's train transfer to Anchorage, then spend the night and take the regular train to Denali the next day. We have done that and it is a nice trip. We have also taken the bus and prefer the train.

If you are on a cruise tour arranged by HAL, there is no alternative, you are traveling the way and at the times they tell you to.

Thank you soooo much for the precise answer! I really had no idea of the size of Alaska! I was shocked to find out that it’s another 8 hours on a. Is to get into the park! I’m such a rube, The Cruise dates start exactly 8weeks after my husbands prostate surgery (TMI ?) If I had bought insurance, I probably would have cancelled. I’m trying to make this adventure as exhaustion free as possible. And with all of these bus rides....the one in the park probably being bumpy I’m assuming...I hope I don’t kill him! Zip lining is out, along with the vigorous hike excursion I planned.Do you know anything about the “Luggage Direct” that picks up,your luggage from your home and delivers them to your stateroom? I’m thinking that’ll be one headache ( and other ache) he can avoid. Might be worth the $$. Thanks for listening to my vent... Lesson learned: Do Not wait till you retire to travel!

One final question: if it’s 125 miles from Seward to anchorage, why would we have to leave the night before ? Could we grab a cab at 4:30am to get to anchorage? I think that was two questions ��

Your husband will be fine unless he has major complications. Unfortunately I know this based on personal experience.

Take the ship's train transfer to Anchorage, then spend the night and take the regular train to Denali the next day. We have done that and it is a nice trip. We have also taken the bus and prefer the train.

If you are on a cruise tour arranged by HAL, there is no alternative, you are traveling the way and at the times they tell you to.

We are on a cruise on HAL, Are you saying that “ there is no alternative “ means we can take a train transfer as long as we book it thru them? Or we cannot take the train and must take the bus to Denali??

I wish I could make my mind up that fast! I’m planning on how to take the Denali Star train into Denali. It hold be a shame to miss it!! But, we will avoid the 8 hour bus tours on gravely roads !

Just be aware that the Denali Star doesn't actually go in to Denali National Park. The only way to get in to Denali National Park is on one of the buses that travel the gravely roads. Sorry.

Just be aware that the Denali Star doesn't actually go in to Denali National Park. The only way to get in to Denali National Park is on one of the buses that travel the gravely roads. Sorry.

I was wondering about that! I’m blown away by the size of Alaska! So,there is no way to avoid the gravely 8 hour bus ride? I wish this was noted in the itinerary when I signed up for this adventure. That ride would be not be fun.Men are such slow healers! Ok, let’s say we just took the train to Denali. Is that a city? Are there things to do there that don’t involve going into the park? Did I just ask the stupidest question ever asked?.

So, this train will take us to the park, just not deep into it? We’d be happy just to be dropped off at the mckinley chalet resort where hal puts up their guests.

Online it says the resort is “at the gates of the park” Do you think this means we can avoid the 8 hr bus ride? Pardon the screaming all CAPS in the beginnning... I did a cut and paste and it messed up the font size in the note)

DENALI STAR TRAIN

Anchorage > Wasilla > Talkeetna > Denali > Fairbanks

Daily service mid-May to mid-September

How to get to Denali National Park? The Alaska Railroad’s flagship train. Every summer morning, the northbound Denali Star Train departs Anchorage for the 356-mile, 12-hour journey to Fairbanks, with stops in Wasilla, Talkeetna and Denali National Park; while in Fairbanks, the southbound Denali Star embarks on the reverse. The route spans two of Alaska’s five geographic regions – Southcentral and Interior Alaska. On a clear day, passengers enjoy sights of the train’s namesake peak: Denali, the tallest mountain in North America.

I know you have made up your mind but a 10 hour bus rise isn't all that bad. We have done that and longer all over Europe. Not to mention the coaches/buses we have taken have had all ages on with the coach ones in particular having many over 45 and up to 80.

Legally there has to be a certain amount of stops (incl in that time limit) and service stops for toilets and hot food...this is what happens in Europe anyhow.

If you want to see somewhere enough its worth it.

The road from Anchorage to Seward is a good two-lane (with additional lanes some of the time) road. It isn't bumpy. I expect that is true for the stretch from Seward to Anchorage too but we took the train from Seward to Anchorage.

The park road is gravel most of the way to Eielson Visitor Center. We took the park shuttle and thhe bus stops every 90 minutes or so at points with rest rooms. It was a comfortable ride - not very bumpy.

HAL has some tours that take a train (one they charter, not the regular scheduled ones) from Seward to Denali. Can you switch your reservation to one of those?

So, this train will take us to the park, just not deep into it? We’d be happy just to be dropped off at the mckinley chalet resort where hal puts up their guests.

Online it says the resort is “at the gates of the park” Do you think this means we can avoid the 8 hr bus ride? Pardon the screaming all CAPS in the beginnning... I did a cut and paste and it messed up the font size in the note)

Most of the animal sightings are when you get into the park a ways. You could hang out at the McKinley Chalet Resort without going into the park, but at that point, why are you bothering to go to Denali? I guess you could take the shuttle to the park visitor center (the one near the gates on the paved road) and hike from there, but is your husband going to be up for hiking? Or take a flight over the park.

Edited to add: You might get additional feedback by posting on the Alaska board here instead of the general Ask a Question one.

The train to Denali stops just inside the eastern edge of the park right near the Denali Visitor Center. It's a nice area and you can learn a few things there, and you do not need to take the 8 hour bus tour inside the park. You can see a sled dog demonstration near the Denali Visitor center, but I would say without going on a bus tour of the park, you will see everything near the entrance area within 2-3 hours.

The area where the hotels are is informally called "Glitter Gulch". There are about 10 hotels, a bunch of gift shops, a Subway sandwich shop, and a really good pizza place (Prospector's Pizza). I wouldn't really call it a town as it mostly just straddles the main road that passes through.

I think the best way to get an idea of what is there is to check google street view. I'll try to link to it:

https://www.google.com/maps/@63.7477032,-148.9005672,3a,75y,35.82h,91t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sUvrb7sgP1zVFNZRlCae3uQ!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo2.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3DUvrb7sgP1zVFNZRlCae3uQ%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D58.67463%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i13312!8i6656

The view I linked is looking NE and the entrance to the park is to the south on this road.

Actually the best description I can give you of Denali is to check my review (Post #20 starts in Seward):

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2511199

Thanks for sharing all the info and google view.Very helpful!

I need all the help I can get. Yes, the “resort” area outside of the park looks like a big yawn. But we’ll try to entertain ourselves . At least our first seven days will be exciting! Thanks again

Thanks for your suggestions! I think we’ve decided that we will unfortunately forget about going to Denali altogether. I’m sure I’m losing a ton of money, but it won’t be worth the anticipated agony and/or humiliation my husband would suffer as a result of so many long bumpy bus rides. We’re gonna bite the bullet and disembark at Seward and catch that McKinley train to Anchorage. We always wanted to do that anyway, so won’t be a complete lose. Disappointed of course. But at least we’ll get the cruise for 7 days. And I’m sure there will be lots to do in Anchorage !

Should have bought cruise insurance I suppose. Live and learn

There is a lot to see on the Kenai Peninsula. You could rent a car in Seward and spend in Seward and then several days driving to Anchorage. Car rental will not be cheap but it will be worth it.

DON

That’s funny! I was just now thinking of doing just that! It’s $275 to get a one way rental car! And why tease ourselves going to the edge of Denali , and not going deep into the park?

The hotel area looks pretty tourist

trap-y. I’m going to research some more as soon as I get home! I feel the stress slipping away. Thanks for your suggestions!

Private cars are usually (at least in the past) NOT allowed in Denali National Park in an effort to preserve the park. Thus the bus tours.

Are you working with a travel agent -- especially one who specializes in Alaska cruises & tours? Alaska has LOTS of possibilities, so an expert could really help. A TA could also advise about travel insurance for any "add-ons".

Also check-out YouTube videos of various tours & Alaska travel books.

Yes, beautiful, wonderful Alaska is BIG -- roughly 2/3 the size of the lower 48!

Good luck & ENJOY!

Private cars are usually (at least in the past) NOT allowed in Denali National Park in an effort to preserve the park. Thus the bus tours.

Are you working with a travel agent -- especially one who specializes in Alaska cruises & tours? Alaska has LOTS of possibilities, so an expert could really help. A TA could also advise about travel insurance for any "add-ons".

Also check-out YouTube videos of various tours & Alaska travel books.

Yes, beautiful, wonderful Alaska is BIG -- roughly 2/3 the size of the lower 48!

Good luck & ENJOY!

I think the OP was talking about getting a one way rental car to use for exploring around the path from Seward to Anchorage and not going to Denali at all since she's concerned that her husband won't be able to enjoy the trip into the park.

We are on a cruise on HAL, Are you saying that “ there is no alternative “ means we can take a train transfer as long as we book it thru them? Or we cannot take the train and must take the bus to Denali??

If you are on a Cruise tour then you have to use what they provide, you cannot book an alternative.

Thanks to all of the helpful,advice on the board, I have everything planned for our alternative to taking the bus to,Denali! $1100 later, things have fallen into place! Renting a car in Seward, driving to Anchorage ...take in the sights. Got a hotel room one block from the port! Made reservations for the Denali Star...the fancy option with the glass dome and meals and drinks...life’s too short. We’ll get into Denali at 3:40 in the afternoon. At this point we’ll just drink and chill out ! Sad to miss seeing Denali National Park, But you know what they say, the moment you make plans ,,,God laughs

I was wondering about that! I’m blown away by the size of Alaska! So,there is no way to avoid the gravely 8 hour bus ride? I wish this was noted in the itinerary when I signed up for this adventure. That ride would be not be fun.Men are such slow healers! Ok, let’s say we just took the train to Denali. Is that a city? Are there things to do there that don’t involve going into the park? Did I just ask the stupidest question ever asked?.

First the 8 weeks is more than enough time for him to completely heal. Second the bus is not uncomfortable, though it is not luxury by any means. The roads in the park are gravel, but they are not rutted or bumpy. If you don't want to take the 8 hour bus tour, there is one that is about 3 hours and stays on paved roads except for about 1/2 mile at the turn around. You will not see as much but you will get into the park.

If you are not going into the park, it is not worth your time to go to Denali. It is more like a bump on a map than it is a city, and of the things to do there going into the park is one of the less strenuous.

Thanks to all of the helpful,advice on the board, I have everything planned for our alternative to taking the bus to,Denali! $1100 later, things have fallen into place! Renting a car in Seward, driving to Anchorage ...take in the sights. Got a hotel room one block from the port! Made reservations for the Denali Star...the fancy option with the glass dome and meals and drinks...life’s too short. We’ll get into Denali at 3:40 in the afternoon. At this point we’ll just drink and chill out ! Sad to miss seeing Denali National Park, But you know what they say, the moment you make plans ,,,God laughs

Just an FYI, we have done that train transfer a couple of times. If you want to splurge go flight seeing when you are up there. Many flights land on the glacier just below the peak.