Carnival to RC, what should I know?

Question: Does onboard credit have any restrictions on RC? I know that sometimes CCL adds restrictions to their OBC. For example, that it cannot be used at any bars or can only be used towards shore excursions.

Question: Does onboard credit have any restrictions on RC? I know that sometimes CCL adds restrictions to their OBC. For example, that it cannot be used at any bars or can only be used towards shore excursions.

Some TA's might put restrictions on things, like a free dinner, and some will be refundable while others are not, but as far as where it works, I have not heard of anything not being accepted, since it is just a credit on your bill.

Some TA's might put restrictions on things, like a free dinner, and some will be refundable while others are not, but as far as where it works, I have not heard of anything not being accepted, since it is just a credit on your bill.

Got it! Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

By the end of this month, we're hoping to book our Anthem cruise that sails next May. What are some things everyone does immediately after booking? I know entertainment and drink packages will not show up in the Cruise Planner until closer to the cruise date. However, can I make North Star and iFly reservations directly after booking?

By the end of this month, we're hoping to book our Anthem cruise that sails next May. What are some things everyone does immediately after booking? I know entertainment and drink packages will not show up in the Cruise Planner until closer to the cruise date. However, can I make North Star and iFly reservations directly after booking?

No guarantee that any reservations will be open.

• 2 weeks later...

Someone stated that the Cruise Planner is accessible regardless of how you book (direct or TA). If we do book via a TA, do we have to give any information to RC in order to access the Cruise Planner? Or, is it automatic?

Someone stated that the Cruise Planner is accessible regardless of how you book (direct or TA). If we do book via a TA, do we have to give any information to RC in order to access the Cruise Planner? Or, is it automatic?

You have to log in to RC's website (good luck) and enter your RC booking number to access the Cruise Planner. Get the RC booking number from the travel agent.

I was all set on booking a 9 night cruise on Anthem but having second thoughts. I'm just wondering if 9 nights is too long for us, we usually do 7 nights.

I know food is very subjective, but how does RC's food compare to Carnival? I've recently read some disappointing things about RC's food.

I know food is very subjective, but how does RC's food compare to Carnival? I've recently read some disappointing things about RC's food.

Carnival wins when it comes to food. Some RC cheerleaders who took a Carnival cruise in the 90s or who have never taken one might try to argue otherwise, but it's the truth. RC completely fails in particular when it comes to food outside of MDR and specialty restaurants. Quick service food is garbage, unlike good burgers and tacos you get on Carnival.

Carnival wins when it comes to food. Some RC cheerleaders who took a Carnival cruise in the 90s or who have never taken one might try to argue otherwise, but it's the truth. RC completely fails in particular when it comes to food outside of MDR and specialty restaurants. Quick service food is garbage, unlike good burgers and tacos you get on Carnival.

Thanks for the input, I appreciate it. :cool:

I was all set on booking a 9 night cruise on Anthem but having second thoughts. I'm just wondering if 9 nights is too long for us, we usually do 7 nights.

Just got off the 9 night on the Anthem today. We normally do 7 as well. I was with a group of 11 and it was an awesome cruise and we could have easily did another 9 days. I sailed on the Anthem back in 2016 and didn’t care for the service at all, but it has improved greatly. The crew was actually the best crew we have had on Royal Caribbean thus far.

I prefer Carnival’s food to Royal. No ifs, ands, or buts. But you will not starve on Royal...you will be able to find decent food. I also think service on Carnival tends to be better as well, but the Anthem service this time was what we normally get on Carnival.

I tend to prefer the Oasis class ships as they have better shows and things to do vs the Quantum class, IMO, but since we were with a large group, we were never bored. I would recommend the 9 night and would certainly book it again.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Just got off the 9 night on the Anthem today. We normally do 7 as well. I was with a group of 11 and it was an awesome cruise and we could have easily did another 9 days. I sailed on the Anthem back in 2016 and didn’t care for the service at all, but it has improved greatly. The crew was actually the best crew we have had on Royal Caribbean thus far.

I prefer Carnival’s food to Royal. No ifs, ands, or buts. But you will not starve on Royal...you will be able to find decent food. I also think service on Carnival tends to be better as well, but the Anthem service this time was what we normally get on Carnival.

I tend to prefer the Oasis class ships as they have better shows and things to do vs the Quantum class, IMO, but since we were with a large group, we were never bored. I would recommend the 9 night and would certainly book it again.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thank you so much for this, it gives me hope that we're booking the right cruise. We're a family of three with a 22 y/o son, did you find the activities/entertainment in the evenings to be enjoyable? We have no problem finding things to do during the day, but what to do in the evening is where we tend to run into issues. Sitting at a bar drinking can get expensive.

An online TA is offering priority check-in which our Anthem booking. What exactly is that, and how does it work? I thought the check-in process was streamlined for the quantum class and there was really no need for 'priority.' In fine print it reads, "priority check-in does not guarantee priority embarkation."

An online TA is offering priority check-in which our Anthem booking. What exactly is that, and how does it work? I thought the check-in process was streamlined for the quantum class and there was really no need for 'priority.' In fine print it reads, "priority check-in does not guarantee priority embarkation."

I've never seen any evidence of priority check-in other than that associated with being a suite guest and/or C&A level.

Our family likes the soda package on RCI better. RCI ships have the freestyle machines and will put a drink cup in your stateroom. We just got off Carnival in early May. No cups, unless you pay extra for it. You have to go to the bar and they fill a glass, then gave you a slip with a line for a tip.

I have not been on a newer Carnival ship, but I think you will find Royal a nice ship, nicer clientele. More family oriented. Carnival looked like a trashy party to me.

I've never seen any evidence of priority check-in other than that associated with being a suite guest and/or C&A level.
When I was looking at my upcoming oasis cruise AAA was offering that. I didn't use them ultimately so I won't be able to comment on it, but from what I remember on my first oasis cruise I don't recall a line for non CA/suites.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

When I was looking at my upcoming oasis cruise AAA was offering that. I didn't use them ultimately so I won't be able to comment on it, but from what I remember on my first oasis cruise I don't recall a line for non CA/suites.

I agree. I would love to hear from someone who has successfully used priority embarkation given as a perk from a travel agent. Until then, I have my doubts.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

I agree. I would love to hear from someone who has successfully used priority embarkation given as a perk from a travel agent. Until then, I have my doubts.

The mentioned TA is who we're going through... If I remember to report back a year from now, I'll let you all know ;p From what I've heard, I have my doubts too.. Oh well, no big deal...

Thank you so much for this, it gives me hope that we're booking the right cruise. We're a family of three with a 22 y/o son, did you find the activities/entertainment in the evenings to be enjoyable? We have no problem finding things to do during the day, but what to do in the evening is where we tend to run into issues. Sitting at a bar drinking can get expensive.

Since we were in a large group we always had things to do and places to go. Either a show or playing a game that we brought. I do think the Oasis class ships have more activities though.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Our family likes the soda package on RCI better. RCI ships have the freestyle machines and will put a drink cup in your stateroom. We just got off Carnival in early May. No cups, unless you pay extra for it. You have to go to the bar and they fill a glass, then gave you a slip with a line for a tip.

I have not been on a newer Carnival ship, but I think you will find Royal a nice ship, nicer clientele. More family oriented. Carnival looked like a trashy party to me.

I agree that the soda package on Royal is better, very convenient. However, we never pay for soda when we sail Carnival because we find their drinks acceptable. Some of Royal’s standard drinks (like lemonade) are watered down which kind of forced us to buy the soda package. Not sure if that’s still the case since we always buy the soda package now.

We went on the Vista last year and even though they are stepping up their ships, they still have a ways to go to offer as much as some of Royal’s ships. We stepped away from Carnival for a couple of years because of the “clientele”, but I think you can get around that when you sail on the newer ships during certain times of the year.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If we did not pre-pay gratuities before the cruise, how does that work when we get on the ship? I'm assuming we'll add it to our booking before the cruise, but if not, I want to know what to expect during the cruise. Does it automatically get charged? Do we tip individuals what we want? Do we have to go to guest services?

If we did not pre-pay gratuities before the cruise, how does that work when we get on the ship? I'm assuming we'll add it to our booking before the cruise, but if not, I want to know what to expect during the cruise. Does it automatically get charged? Do we tip individuals what we want? Do we have to go to guest services?

Automatically charged daily.

A few Anthem questions... *These questions can be answered no matter what ship, but I'll be on Anthem.

1. When completing online check-in, is the "arrival appointment" time assigned or selected by the cruiser? Are the times enforced?

2. How long does dinner in the MDR usually take? We're doing YTD...

3. How early should you arrive to reserved shows/entertainment? Would a half an hour satisfy? As you can see, questions 2 and 3 are related.

... When completing online check-in, is the "arrival appointment" time assigned or selected by the cruiser? Are the times enforced? ...

You choose the arrival time from those that are still available, which is not enforced.