Carnival to RC, what should I know?

Question:

If you book, lets say, a year out from your sailing date, and the cruise fare drops in price, does RC credit your credit card for the difference? If so, do you have to book under a certain rate? For example, when sailing carnival, you have to be sure to book with a rate that offers 'price protection' in order to credited for price drops. Also, after a certain point in time, Carnival will stop crediting your card and then credit your onboard account for the difference, does RC do this as well?

Question:

If you book, lets say, a year out from your sailing date, and the cruise fare drops in price, does RC credit your credit card for the difference? If so, do you have to book under a certain rate? For example, when sailing carnival, you have to be sure to book with a rate that offers 'price protection' in order to credited for price drops. Also, after a certain point in time, Carnival will stop crediting your card and then credit your onboard account for the difference, does RC do this as well?

RC will generally honor price drops up to final payment date, which is 90 days before the cruise for a 7-day cruise. RC gives no credit of any kind for price drops after final payment date. RC has no equivalent to Carnival's Early Saver.

Carnival did not have a very good onboard shopping selection compared to RCCL (yes we like to shop in the ship's stores)

I loved my Carnival cruises, but that is one thing I never understood. I travel with a few items as possible, for both weight and going thru customs reasons - the less you have the better. I also buy items to show I have been cruising. But often I find I have to get off the ship at ports to buy the simplest of items I want.

To me it is a lost revenue stream, I don't buy chains, jewelry, watches so why is so much floor space taken up with them. Even the camera section is sparse, it should offer a large range of SD cards, flash cards and an option to get your picture that they take just on flash cards. Charge half the price that you do for a printed photo and I probably will buy more than twice the number of photos I presently get.

In regards to the corkage fee, does that still stand at $15 per bottle? If I would like to have wine at dinner, do I carry the bottle back-and-forth with me from my stateroom to dining room? Or, do they keep it in a separate area to have on hand each night? I'm assuming they uncork and serve to you? This will be our first time bring wine onboard any cruise...

In regards to the corkage fee, does that still stand at $15 per bottle? If I would like to have wine at dinner, do I carry the bottle back-and-forth with me from my stateroom to dining room? Or, do they keep it in a separate area to have on hand each night? I'm assuming they uncork and serve to you? This will be our first time bring wine onboard any cruise...

The dining room people will keep your opened bottle of wine and make it available the next time you visit the diniing room.

We've cruised both RC and Carnival and I agree with most everyone else on here...they really are pretty similar. The more we cruise though the more we realize that it's little things that make us enjoy some cruises over others. For the record, we've never been on the Anthem nor sailed out of Bayonne, so it may not be very much help for you.

-I very much prefer the drink packages on Royal. They've always been a little cheaper per day and there's no limit. We just got off the Carnival Vista a couple weeks ago and my wonderful Irish husband hit his limit multiple times over the 6 days and I hit it once as well (we don't do this at home....I swear!!) At no point was my husband ever fall down drunk in anyway, he can just really drink. I just don't like even having to think about what number I'm on to make sure I can still have a martini or two at night. I do like that both lines include bottled water and specialty coffees. Even if you aren't a huge drinker (like my hubby ;) ) it can still really save money and make a cruise truly feel all inclusive.

-Every ship I've been on I feel like Royal just controls the crowds better. I had low expectations for this on the Vista because I feel like that's all I read about before going. It was better then I anticipated, but it still felt tight. I know all lines are squeezing more cabins into the same footprints but Royal has always felt like it has more open space to me. Could just be me....

-Food is so subjective, and in reality you will never go hungry on any cruise! But I do think I like Carnival's daytime offerings a bit more. I really like the tacos/burritos on the larger Carnival ships and my husband likes the Guys burgers. Dining room seems about the same to me, service has seemed better on Royal though. I'm not sure if we just had a not so good server on the Vista (she was very sweet....but my goodness was service slow) or if they really are just cutting back but my most recent experiences in the main dining room were better on Royal as far as service.

-Cabins seem similar in size to me but the balconies are bit bigger on Royal. I very much prefer the doors to Carnival's curtains in the shower, not a deal breaker either way. TV was VERY bad on Carnival recently. We haven't been on Royal since 2017 so it could have also gotten worse. We don't cruise to watch tv, but we do fall asleep to it every night and usually have a lazy day at least once each cruise where we zone out and nap. There was literally nothing to watch on the Vista lol! Probably not a big deal to most, but just something I noticed.

-I kind of like the reservation system on the larger Royal ships. We don't see many shows, but Royals are better quality overall. I like that there are multiple comedy shows on Carnival, but we had some bad ones on the Vista so it didn't really make a difference.

-Check in has always been very quick for us, but again, we haven't sailed on the Anthem yet so I can't really tell you how that is.

Wow, this is long winded!! If you enjoy Carnival you will definitely enjoy Royal. Have fun!

We've cruised both RC and Carnival and I agree with most everyone else on here...they really are pretty similar. The more we cruise though the more we realize that it's little things that make us enjoy some cruises over others. For the record, we've never been on the Anthem nor sailed out of Bayonne, so it may not be very much help for you.

-I very much prefer the drink packages on Royal. They've always been a little cheaper per day and there's no limit. We just got off the Carnival Vista a couple weeks ago and my wonderful Irish husband hit his limit multiple times over the 6 days and I hit it once as well (we don't do this at home....I swear!!) At no point was my husband ever fall down drunk in anyway, he can just really drink. I just don't like even having to think about what number I'm on to make sure I can still have a martini or two at night. I do like that both lines include bottled water and specialty coffees. Even if you aren't a huge drinker (like my hubby ;) ) it can still really save money and make a cruise truly feel all inclusive.

-Every ship I've been on I feel like Royal just controls the crowds better. I had low expectations for this on the Vista because I feel like that's all I read about before going. It was better then I anticipated, but it still felt tight. I know all lines are squeezing more cabins into the same footprints but Royal has always felt like it has more open space to me. Could just be me....

-Food is so subjective, and in reality you will never go hungry on any cruise! But I do think I like Carnival's daytime offerings a bit more. I really like the tacos/burritos on the larger Carnival ships and my husband likes the Guys burgers. Dining room seems about the same to me, service has seemed better on Royal though. I'm not sure if we just had a not so good server on the Vista (she was very sweet....but my goodness was service slow) or if they really are just cutting back but my most recent experiences in the main dining room were better on Royal as far as service.

-Cabins seem similar in size to me but the balconies are bit bigger on Royal. I very much prefer the doors to Carnival's curtains in the shower, not a deal breaker either way. TV was VERY bad on Carnival recently. We haven't been on Royal since 2017 so it could have also gotten worse. We don't cruise to watch tv, but we do fall asleep to it every night and usually have a lazy day at least once each cruise where we zone out and nap. There was literally nothing to watch on the Vista lol! Probably not a big deal to most, but just something I noticed.

-I kind of like the reservation system on the larger Royal ships. We don't see many shows, but Royals are better quality overall. I like that there are multiple comedy shows on Carnival, but we had some bad ones on the Vista so it didn't really make a difference.

-Check in has always been very quick for us, but again, we haven't sailed on the Anthem yet so I can't really tell you how that is.

Wow, this is long winded!! If you enjoy Carnival you will definitely enjoy Royal. Have fun!

Thanks for the great comparison. It's great to know RC compares... Last summer we went to an all-inclusive for the first time and determined we're definitely cruise people. Therefore, we're trying to make this cruise the best yet! Thank you! :cool:

Can someone clarify for me (again)...

There are four complementary dining rooms onboard Anthem OTS... Two of them are for assigned and the other for anytime, correct? If you're anytime, do you go to either one assigned to anytime, or is there a specific one assigned to you? Do they all serve the same food (menus)? I've read conflicting things that all four restaurants serve different style food and that you can rotate between all four.

We're going to do anytime dining, so I'm curious as to what our dining situation will be like. If it's "anytime," what's the benefit of reservations?

Also... Different topic...

Does anyone have any experience with booking through a travel agent? If you book through a travel agent, can you transfer your booking to RC dot com in order to take advantage of the "cruise planner" benefits?

What's everyone's experience with travel agents? We've always book independently. However, are we missing out on deals by not booking with a travel agent?

Edited by Host Clarea
Deleted TA name

Does anyone have any experience with booking through a travel agent? If you book through a travel agent, can you transfer your booking to RC dot com in order to take advantage of the "cruise planner" benefits?

What's everyone's experience with travel agents? We've always book independently. However, are we missing out on deals by not booking with a travel agent?

If you book with a travel agent, you cannot easily transfer the booking to Royal. The travel agent would have to agree ti the transfer.

They have a 70's or 80's party (depends on which ship for which decade) that is a lot of fun. They have the Quest, which is a must see and for adults only. Held one night during the cruise around 10:30 p.m. Can't explain it to you, but you have to go experience it.

Ooohhh the Quest! SO MUCH FUN!!

We have never been charged a corkage fee. The dining staff will store your wine for the following evenings. If you want to open your bottle in stateroom, your room attendant will supply a corkscrew if you do not have one.

I know Carnival hits your credit card for a $200 deposit on sail day morning,does Royal do that as well and how much?

Our experience is that they only do a test on a credit card for the amount you spend that day, and only if that exceeds your OBC.

In regards to Anthem OTS specifically... Does everyone feel there's ample sun loungers on the open decks? I realize you have to arrive early on sea days, but appears to me that Anthem just has one deck full of sun loungers.

Cruise planner benefits are available whether you book direct, or through a TA.

Can someone clarify for me (again)...

There are four complementary dining rooms onboard Anthem OTS... Two of them are for assigned and the other for anytime, correct? If you're anytime, do you go to either one assigned to anytime, or is there a specific one assigned to you? Do they all serve the same food (menus)? I've read conflicting things that all four restaurants serve different style food and that you can rotate between all four.

We're going to do anytime dining, so I'm curious as to what our dining situation will be like. If it's "anytime," what's the benefit of reservations?

Having different menus changed several years ago. At one point, they had dynamic dining, but that went away, and now all 4 have the same menus on the same day. You will be assigned a certain dining room.

Does anyone know when RC runs their best sales? We're eyeing the 5/23/19 sailing (9-night) on Anthem and waiting for a good price. When we first noticed the cruise, it was at $3,300 for three (obstructed balcony). Now, the price fluctuates between $3,400-3,500. Thinking Memorial Day might offer up a good price?

Does anyone know when RC runs their best sales? We're eyeing the 5/23/19 sailing (9-night) on Anthem and waiting for a good price. When we first noticed the cruise, it was at $3,300 for three (obstructed balcony). Now, the price fluctuates between $3,400-3,500. Thinking Memorial Day might offer up a good price?

You should really book as soon as it is a price you can work with. Normally prices go up as it gets closer. If you wait for a sale, you may never get the price you were looking at. If you book, and the price goes down before final payment (90 prior to sailing), you can get the reduced price, so it is best to just book asap. There is no rhyme or reason to sales, and most end up being the same price overall, with the difference simply being how many rooms are left on a certain sailing and how much time is left.

The best thing to do, in my opinion, is just book the cruise at the price you are comfortable with and not wait on "sales". For the last several years, Royal Caribbeans "sales" seem to be marketing gimmicks where they just run a promotion that marks the cruise up to brochure retail pricing and then give you half off the second guest making the total price just a little more than it would be with no "sale" at all. It makes new cruisers feel like they are getting an incredible deal and that is the target audience for cruise lines now.

The best thing to do, in my opinion, is just book the cruise at the price you are comfortable with and not wait on "sales". For the last several years, Royal Caribbeans "sales" seem to be marketing gimmicks where they just run a promotion that marks the cruise up to brochure retail pricing and then give you half off the second guest making the total price just a little more than it would be with no "sale" at all. It makes new cruisers feel like they are getting an incredible deal and that is the target audience for cruise lines now.

This is my first Royal Caribbean cruise. But we booked last fall/early winter for our 10/21/18 sailing aboard LOTS. I've monitored sales since then and I think you are correct though prices can fluctuate from sale to sale. The caveat that I offer to that is that if you are taking children and you can find a time where kids cruise free (when we booked), that will save you money (sometimes a significant amount) over it seems any other sale that RCCL offers. That at least has been what has shown to be the case to me.

I am told by my TA was January tends to be cheapest. This is just a general trend, but she said that many of the inventory gets booked then.

That being said, for your cruise, the best time theoretically was this last January. But the best strategy is if you like the price. If so, book. You can still get price drops up until final payment

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This is my first Royal Caribbean cruise. But we booked last fall/early winter for our 10/21/18 sailing aboard LOTS. I've monitored sales since then and I think you are correct though prices can fluctuate from sale to sale. The caveat that I offer to that is that if you are taking children and you can find a time where kids cruise free (when we booked), that will save you money (sometimes a significant amount) over it seems any other sale that RCCL offers. That at least has been what has shown to be the case to me.

I am told by my TA was January tends to be cheapest. This is just a general trend, but she said that many of the inventory gets booked then.

That being said, for your cruise, the best time theoretically was this last January. But the best strategy is if you like the price. If so, book. You can still get price drops up until final payment

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Nice to get everyone's viewpoint, thank you! I definitely plan on booking in late May, which would make the cruise about a year out.