MSC - Seaside Discriminatory practices with single travelers

cruisertc

I contacted MSC to make a reservation as the website seemed to be acting up, every time I entered one traveler for the 2 sailing dates I preferred the website wouldn't allow me to continue. When I called I was informed the cruises I had selected (2 different dates) were not available for single occupancy. I was stunned as I have never had this issue come up with other cruise lines. I asked for an explanation as I I was aware and willing to pay a fare based on double occupancy, but would be traveling solo. I wasn't looking for a discount and understand the supplement for single occupancy. The reservationist told me solo travel was not allowed for the dates I had selected. I inquired what the reasoning was and the representative told me the rooms are made for only 2 people (seriously). I said they may hold two people but why couldn't one person occupy a double room, would the balance be off? I asked to speak with a supervisor as this explanation didn't make sense to me. After holding for 15 minutes, I was told that no one would be available today and they could call me back another day. Not sure who the target market is for MSC, but certainly isn't single travelers. Sadly they can not fill a brand new ship during the height of season with discounted rates. Perhaps they should review policies. If you are a single traveler, I would look elsewhere.

I am looking at a sailing on Seaside. Interior/Bella is $509pp. I put in 1 passenger and it is $859pp, before taxes and fees. It is $967 AFTER taxes & fees, with FREE drinks.

So, NOT 200% cost for a single.

I don't know what your dates and itinerary are that you are considering, but MSC aren't discriminatory towards single cruisers.

I am looking at a sailing on Seaside. Interior/Bella is $509pp. I put in 1 passenger and it is $859pp, before taxes and fees. It is $967 AFTER taxes & fees, with FREE drinks.

So, NOT 200% cost for a single.

I don't know what your dates and itinerary are that you are considering, but MSC aren't discriminatory towards single cruisers.

I have found that the single supplement varies depending on the dates and the cruise itself, sometimes it doesn't really make sense to me. Hence the reason I am not a corporate bean counter! Same as discounts, such as military, emt etc. Some cruise lines offer a discount across the board, and others only on select cruises.

I contacted MSC to make a reservation as the website seemed to be acting up, every time I entered one traveler for the 2 sailing dates I preferred the website wouldn't allow me to continue. When I called I was informed the cruises I had selected (2 different dates) were not available for single occupancy. I was stunned as I have never had this issue come up with other cruise lines. I asked for an explanation as I I was aware and willing to pay a fare based on double occupancy, but would be traveling solo. I wasn't looking for a discount and understand the supplement for single occupancy. The reservationist told me solo travel was not allowed for the dates I had selected. I inquired what the reasoning was and the representative told me the rooms are made for only 2 people (seriously). I said they may hold two people but why couldn't one person occupy a double room, would the balance be off? I asked to speak with a supervisor as this explanation didn't make sense to me. After holding for 15 minutes, I was told that no one would be available today and they could call me back another day. Not sure who the target market is for MSC, but certainly isn't single travelers. Sadly they can not fill a brand new ship during the height of season with discounted rates. Perhaps they should review policies. If you are a single traveler, I would look elsewhere.

You got a bull excuse but the key is to book it early when they allow single travelers.

• 5 months later...
Have had to book a "second person" many times to sail a single cabin on MSC. Not an issue at all at the pier. Just FYI...

Bret

Hi, I'm hoping you can help, we have booked 3 cabins for 6 people on MSC, my elderly grandfather can no longer come as he has been in hospital this week and the cruise departs on Monday 08th October 2018. My grandmother is still coming, we have no intention of cancelling my grandfather because of the additional fee. My question is, when do we inform them of his no show? Is it at the pier? Or do we go to customer services on the boat? Also, will she still get charged 2 lots of gratuities and taxes etc? e and my partner have been on loads of cruises but never MSC and never had to cancel, so it's all new to me.

Thanks in advance :):)

Hi, I'm hoping you can help, we have booked 3 cabins for 6 people on MSC, my elderly grandfather can no longer come as he has been in hospital this week and the cruise departs on Monday 08th October 2018. My grandmother is still coming, we have no intention of cancelling my grandfather because of the additional fee. My question is, when do we inform them of his no show? Is it at the pier? Or do we go to customer services on the boat? Also, will she still get charged 2 lots of gratuities and taxes etc? e and my partner have been on loads of cruises but never MSC and never had to cancel, so it's all new to me.

Thanks in advance :):)

Sorry about your grandfather!

When I sailed solo I had to have a name for the 2nd person in the cabin (couldn't just book solo). It meant I'd have to pay his port fees and taxes like a regular reservation and get reunbused. When I checked in at the terminal, just said he couldn't make it. No questions were asked. I was not charged gratuities for him. The hard part was getting reimbursed for taxes and port fees which couldn't be done on board. When I returned from my cruise, my travel agent contacted MSC multiple times for my reimbursement. I contacted them too. We were both it would be taken care of not long after but wasn't. Took a good couple of months to finally get my money back. You may have to do what I did. Good luck and have a great cruise.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

I have not found MSC to discriminate against solo travelers any more/less than other lines. Solo travel is hit and miss. Sometimes MSC still offers zero solo supplement as was the case with a cruise last month where even the YC showed zero solo supplement! I still wish I could have jumped on that last minute sailing.

Sorry about your grandfather!

When I sailed solo I had to have a name for the 2nd person in the cabin (couldn't just book solo). It meant I'd have to pay his port fees and taxes like a regular reservation and get reunbused. When I checked in at the terminal, just said he couldn't make it. No questions were asked. I was not charged gratuities for him. The hard part was getting reimbursed for taxes and port fees which couldn't be done on board. When I returned from my cruise, my travel agent contacted MSC multiple times for my reimbursement. I contacted them too. We were both it would be taken care of not long after but wasn't. Took a good couple of months to finally get my money back. You may have to do what I did. Good luck and have a great cruise.

Thanks for the prompt reply. We are going with the no show as it will cost us a lot less than the cancellation fees (MSC wont actually tell me what they are without me giving the booking details but they alluded to additional charges so it’s not worth the risk). I think we’ll just wait until we’re on the boat and go to guest services. I’m worried about telling them landside incase they then decide to add on the charges then.

Thanks for the prompt reply. We are going with the no show as it will cost us a lot less than the cancellation fees (MSC wont actually tell me what they are without me giving the booking details but they alluded to additional charges so it’s not worth the risk). I think we’ll just wait until we’re on the boat and go to guest services. I’m worried about telling them landside incase they then decide to add on the charges then.
You're welcome! They will ask when you check in land side. Hope guest services can help you. When I sailed they told me anything financial couldn't be done on the ship. Hopefully that's changed.

Thanks for the suggestion. However falsifying travel documents doesn't seem like a logical approach. The cruise line or gov't agencies could always deny boarding as travel documents, passports, etc. do not match the traveler. Although, traveling solo requires a 200% supplement, a solo traveler is only required to pay taxes, port fees and gratuities for one person.

Our friend booked with an imaginary person paid the deposit for him and his "friend" when final payment due he told the booking agent that they could no go and he lost the 2nd guest deposit but he was able to cruise solo. And he was even upgraded to a balcony

• 2 weeks later...