Best Alask cruises with kids

BeachlovingNP

We are considering an Alaska cruise for Summer 2019. The kids will be 17 and 10 at that time. My husband and I have cruised in the past, but never with the kids or to Alaska. W'd like to leave out of Seatle, but haven't decided on any other specifics at this time. We're pretty adventerous and like to try different activities.

Is there a certain cruise line people would recommend? I'm not really partial any, although, I've heard mixed reviews about Carnival. We've only been on Royal Caribbean in the past, but it was a number of years ago.

Thoughts? Recommendations? Good resources?

Thanks!

Edited by BeachlovingNP
spelling

The kids may be too old for you to splurge on Disney. Take a look at what Princess has to offer and try to include Glacier Bay. The kids would probably also enjoy Skagway. Other than that you get Juneau for whale watches and Ketchikan on your Seattle round trips. There is a book Alaska by Cruise Ship by Anne Vipond that should be available online and in book stores. The 10 year old may enjoy studying the free brochures you can order from the visitor's bureau of each of the towns on your itinerary.

Don't rule out Vancouver RT . It's is only 140 miles north of Seattle and easily reached by rental car, buses, or scenic train ride.

Vancouver departures sail between Vancouver island and the mainland so it's more scenic and calmer water.

Seattle departures sail on the west side of Vancouver Island so it's basically open ocean ... nothing to see and chance of rougher water.

Plus Seattle sailings often have a stop at Victoria 7pm-midnight; a lovely port but awkward timing to do much.

Just a few things to consider.

In addition to Ann Viponds book, read thru past trip reports posted above to get an idea of what worked for other families on their visits to Alaska. The first line generally indicates the ship, date, itinerary and who travelled.

Have fun with your planning !

We did Carnival 2 years ago with our then 13 year old. He loved it! If you're concerned about the alleged party atmosphere on Carnival, it's not true, especially on an Alaska cruise. There were a TON of teens on our cruise. My son did the Circle C club and they did a big group photo on the stairs one night, there were I'd guess about 40 in the picture, and not all the kids made it. Plus, the Club O2, the 15 -17 age group, had a large group as well.

There's so much to see and do, which is why you're taking it. For us, the Caribbean ones are about sitting by the pool, doing some snorkeling, soaking up the sun, just unwinding. Alaska is way more active and on the go. There's going to be a lot of different opinions on what you "can't miss" when you go. We wanted to see some glaciers and the wildlife, we saw it and more. We're totally fine with what we saw, although we know there's a lot more to see. It was beautiful and we had a great time.

I agree with above and Royal Caribbean. We are about to do our second trip to Alaska with all 4 kids ages 19, 17, 15, 10 on Radiance of the seas Southbound. Last time was four years ago to Alaska and my 10 yr old says it has been his favourite cruise to date and he loves ves the caribbean also. They love these ships! Although Alaska is much different atmosphere and not the party type thing. They will still go for a swim and hit the kids clubs sometimes but they stay busy watching for whales and anything else they can see. For us the big thing on this route is Icy Strait Point(Hoonah) to go whale watching and of course glaciers.

We took to kids (16 and 14) to Alaska on Disney. Little bit pricey but certainly worth it to us. My kids loved the ship activities--in particular the kids clubs, and dog sledding/Glacier, the Lumberjack show and zip lining. Train ride, not so much....

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Don't rule out Vancouver RT . It's is only 140 miles north of Seattle and easily reached by rental car, buses, or scenic train ride.

Vancouver departures sail between Vancouver island and the mainland so it's more scenic and calmer water.

Seattle departures sail on the west side of Vancouver Island so it's basically open ocean ... nothing to see and chance of rougher water.

Plus Seattle sailings often have a stop at Victoria 7pm-midnight; a lovely port but awkward timing to do much.

Just a few things to consider.

In addition to Ann Viponds book, read thru past trip reports posted above to get an idea of what worked for other families on their visits to Alaska. The first line generally indicates the ship, date, itinerary and who travelled.

Have fun with your planning !

I'd second the Vancouver option (easy train or bus from Seattle IF you leave enough time, maybe best a day+ ahead). Princess is known for land tour options before or after once in AK. I did one-way (Vancouver to Whittier, AK) last spring with Glacier Bay sites and really want to bring our kids back when older. Teen and tween groups seemed medium small in early June but also seemed to be enjoying themselves.

Get Passports for ALL for sure.. some of the longer train options (Skagway) require them.

NCL Bliss. Waterpark, race track, laser tag, active kids club, good food, and no formal nights!

Does NCL or others offer better discount s for kids or family sized rooms? Princess doesn't seem to; we have 3.

I agree with above and Royal Caribbean. We are about to do our second trip to Alaska with all 4 kids ages 19, 17, 15, 10 on Radiance of the seas Southbound. Last time was four years ago to Alaska and my 10 yr old says it has been his favourite cruise to date and he loves ves the caribbean also. They love these ships! Although Alaska is much different atmosphere and not the party type thing. They will still go for a swim and hit the kids clubs sometimes but they stay busy watching for whales and anything else they can see. For us the big thing on this route is Icy Strait Point(Hoonah) to go whale watching and of course glaciers.

How does RC do for family-room options and pricing? Kids free or reduced? Options for more than 4 in a room? DO you get connecting same rate, or do across hall indoor/balcony? Does RC require someone 18 yrs in each room like Princess? Thanks! (Planning to brig along our current 4, 6, & 9 year olds in a couple years; sailing with just hubby this month).

In the past we have had family staterooms which slept 6 with a room with bunkbeds. This time we have gone with connecting superior balcony staterooms because I wont do Alaska without a balcony. But thats just me... We spend alot of time just sitting and taking it all in. With connecting rooms they do not require 18 yrs old. Although you can still just book one adult in each room. The kids sail free promotions do come up for ages 12 and under. Got that for a southern caribbean in December👍.