NYC: Port Authority bus area to LaGuardia - options

LrgPizza

I'm sure this has been asked a million times, but my searches haven't come back with anything specific.

We disembark our cruise ship on a Sunday at Manhattan Cruise Terminal. We plan to leave bags at Schwartz luggage. We did this last year, then caught a bus from the Port Authority bus terminal to Newark for our evening flight home.

This year our flight home is from LaGuardia at 5:30PM. Again we plan to leave the bags at Schwartz and run around for a bit. However, I'm not having luck finding a bus from the Port Authority bus terminal to LaGuardia. Should I be looking into a different option? What is going to be my best option for a Sunday afternoon?

No need to go from Schwartz to PA.

A cab would be on the meter, expect to pay around $40.

Subway to Jackson/74th (Queens), transfer to the Q70 express bus is $2.75 per person.

You can ot an exact route on Google maps, citymapper, or the MTA website.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

No need to go from Schwartz to PA.

A cab would be on the meter, expect to pay around $40.

Subway to Jackson/74th (Queens), transfer to the Q70 express bus is $2.75 per person.

You can ot an exact route on Google maps, citymapper, or the MTA website.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

Thanks for your reply. So there isn't anything similar to the Newark Airport Express except for NYC airports? We aren't really wanting to haul our luggage onto the subway or city buses.

If a cab would only be $40 for 3 people and 3 large suitcases plus a few small bags, that would be a bargain. We were looking into Dial 7 (which we've used several times), but didn't want to be locked into an exact time like that. Hmmm.... Decisions....

We use Carmel almost exclusively for pier & airports and from/to home in Queens, east of LGA. It's super easy to book on the spot, using Carmel's mobile App to request a pickup from Schwartz luggage to LGA - unless there's a major event or block party/street closure nearby - no more than a 10 minutes wait for pickup in front of ... a standard 4 door sedan will fit 3 + luggage, quoted flat rate. Pretty sure that Dial 7 is the same.

Uber pricing & fares likely going up as NYC regulatory agency (TLC) trying to add a fare surcharge to ride-sharing services, to level the playing field - competitive or better fares, probably a difference of no less than $5 or $10 (our Carmel driver spoke of rising gasoline prices last Saturday, being passed on to the riders)

Depending on exact date - the supposingly "faster" route across town thru the Queens Midtown Tunnel with a $8 cash toll ($5.74 if using EZ-Pass rates, required only for taxis but not car service) is much slower as only 1 lane is open each way on weekends - that's one of 2 "tubes" kept open, 1 lane each way for heavy weekend traffic. We went up the West Side Hwy to I-95 North on Cross Bronx Exp. & across Whitestone Bridge back into north Queens.

Beware of the ongoing LGA airport construction work in relocating all the airline terminals closer to the highway as they continue to work on the interior of the new buildings & parking structure, and, new highway access ramps over the parkway. Allow extra time for travel to LGA, even on a Sunday - baseball game at nearby CitiField if the Mets are playing at home could further complicate the trip time.

P.S. The LGA Airporter is on the East Side at GCT, on Park Avenue South, just south of 42nd. Street - they run a free shuttle on mini or small coaches to Time Sq/PABT on a scheduled basis for free, included in the fare - but not a guarantee basis. That's more time & not worth the trouble for 3, just use your choice of car service or even a taxi, nice & simple and they will drop you off curbside - airporter buses make stops at all terminals ... and with the traffic inside the airport's access/service road, that can cost time !

Please note Airporter has just changed how they operate to LGA. Service is now ONLY from Grand Central Terminal operated by GoldenTouch Limo (nope $16 one way is on a bus). This change just happened, service is every hour ONLY from Lexington Ave and 41st Street and ONLY to Terminal B and only 11a to 7p seven days a week.

This was done due to the construction, the web link above also says leave at least 2 hours to get to the airport.

I strongly suggest arranged car service, rideshare, yellow taxi or Public Transit.

Please note Airporter has just changed how they operate to LGA. Service is now ONLY from Grand Central Terminal operated by GoldenTouch Limo (nope $16 one way is on a bus). This change just happened, service is every hour ONLY from Lexington Ave and 41st Street and ONLY to Terminal B and only 11a to 7p seven days a week.

This was done due to the construction, the web link above also says leave at least 2 hours to get to the airport.

I strongly suggest arranged car service, rideshare, yellow taxi or Public Transit.

Thanks for that update and clear explanation. I looked at the NY Airporter web site and was confused by the conflicting information, so I didn't just point the OP to the web site.

Thanks for the NY Airporter explanation. It was one of the places that confused me, leading me to make this post.

I'm pretty sure we will just do our usual Dial 7 or try Carmel, since they appear to be the same type of thing. Hoping we can set it up on the fly, obviously allowing extra time in case no one can get to us quickly. (We have always booked Dial 7 way in advance, so this will be new.) We've been to NYC many times, so we are familiar with the LaGuardia construction struggles. (We also know there is basically nowhere to hang out for any length of time in those tiny, cramped waiting areas, so we don't want to get there super, super early, yet obviously need to allow plenty of time. It's a juggling act.)