Free at sea Internet. Upgrade to Unlimited?

caddykid12

Which carrier are you using. I have the S8+ as well but anytime my phone is in airplane mode the wifi hotspot is greyed out. Can connect to wifi and even posting this in airplane mode but can not turn the hotspot back on

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

I have T-Mobile S8+ and factory unlocked Note 8.

Which carrier are you using. I have the S8+ as well but anytime my phone is in airplane mode the wifi hotspot is greyed out. Can connect to wifi and even posting this in airplane mode but can not turn the hotspot back on

*** Note to casual non-geek CC readers *** this is technical matters not of general interests, it's fine to skip over & bypass ... discussions more suited on XDA-Developers Forum online than here. :halo:

As a general rule, newer generation of smartphones & iPhones, subject to carrier rules & configured APN settings and profile loaded on the device, allow or block advanced WiFi features, such as calling and/or hotspot sharing - we have lines on AT&T, T-Mo & Project Fi, all of which support & allow these features on compatible (and, approved) devices - running stock/OEM roms ... bootloader unlocked, rooted custom Rom's can bypass the restrictions. But, it doesn't sounded like this is the case ?

WiFi/Mifi hotspot features will use the "in-bound" mobile (data) signal and share (re-broadcast) it - in a # of ways: repeater, bridge and/or other modes ... sometimes, to bypass & override carrier's detection, as it will "consume" more data and take up the bandwidth that all users shared . I must getting old with early retirement going back to the IBM System 370 mainframe and PC-DOS generation to keep up with things lately ;p - but I am unaware of device's unmodified ability to take a WiFi signal and share it without using a 2nd. "radio" (modem/router, etc.) on a smartphone.

From time to time, I do, on an as needed basis and not as a matter of routine since most "public" & hotel networks are too slow & unsecured to effective do this and support power & speed hungry apps, nevermind streaming services, but I've done it by taking cellular signal and put it out again with a different SSiD and sign-on, making a hotspot/MiFi router out of it - on all 3 carriers but never, ever, on in-bound WiFi.

I travel and cruise with the Sony Viao notebook PC running Windows 10 Pro-64 bits and it has an unique WiFi hotspot feature - the ability to use an ethernet (data) signal over hard wiring, and, over WiFi - and relay & rebroadcast it, changing the SSiD using WPA-2 to support and share among other devices, on a single connection. For good measures, I have a matchbox-sized TP-Link nano router that do that in connection with the Sony Viao for tethering or hotspot support.

Looking thru the OEM data sheets for the S8+ and Note 8, I am not seeing or reading any indication how this is possible at all - strictly on a WiFi connection. It is possible that the "posts" mistaken the hotspot sharing while cellularly connected and then switched on the "enabled" tethering & portable WiFi functions. My older, backup iPhone SE (factory unlocked, iOS 11.x) do that nicely - but not while connected to the ship's WiFi data network, it is disabled by design while on Airplane Mode & WiFi only (enabled).

If I am overlooking a well-kept secret, I am going to hijack & seize one of the niece's Samsung the next time I see them, and borrow it to play for a few hours ... shopping around for a new "toy" since Android P is coming.

*** Note to casual non-geek CC readers *** this is technical matters not of general interests, it's fine to skip over & bypass ... discussions more suited on XDA-Developers Forum online than here. :halo:

As a general rule, newer generation of smartphones & iPhones, subject to carrier rules & configured APN settings and profile loaded on the device, allow or block advanced WiFi features, such as calling and/or hotspot sharing - we have lines on AT&T, T-Mo & Project Fi, all of which support & allow these features on compatible (and, approved) devices - running stock/OEM roms ... bootloader unlocked, rooted custom Rom's can bypass the restrictions. But, it doesn't sounded like this is the case ?

WiFi/Mifi hotspot features will use the "in-bound" mobile (data) signal and share (re-broadcast) it - in a # of ways: repeater, bridge and/or other modes ... sometimes, to bypass & override carrier's detection, as it will "consume" more data and take up the bandwidth that all users shared . I must getting old with early retirement going back to the IBM System 370 mainframe and PC-DOS generation to keep up with things lately ;p - but I am unaware of device's unmodified ability to take a WiFi signal and share it without using a 2nd. "radio" (modem/router, etc.) on a smartphone.

From time to time, I do, on an as needed basis and not as a matter of routine since most "public" & hotel networks are too slow & unsecured to effective do this and support power & speed hungry apps, nevermind streaming services, but I've done it by taking cellular signal and put it out again with a different SSiD and sign-on, making a hotspot/MiFi router out of it - on all 3 carriers but never, ever, on in-bound WiFi.

I travel and cruise with the Sony Viao notebook PC running Windows 10 Pro-64 bits and it has an unique WiFi hotspot feature - the ability to use an ethernet (data) signal over hard wiring, and, over WiFi - and relay & rebroadcast it, changing the SSiD using WPA-2 to support and share among other devices, on a single connection. For good measures, I have a matchbox-sized TP-Link nano router that do that in connection with the Sony Viao for tethering or hotspot support.

Looking thru the OEM data sheets for the S8+ and Note 8, I am not seeing or reading any indication how this is possible at all - strictly on a WiFi connection. It is possible that the "posts" mistaken the hotspot sharing while cellularly connected and then switched on the "enabled" tethering & portable WiFi functions. My older, backup iPhone SE (factory unlocked, iOS 11.x) do that nicely - but not while connected to the ship's WiFi data network, it is disabled by design while on Airplane Mode & WiFi only (enabled).

If I am overlooking a well-kept secret, I am going to hijack & seize one of the niece's Samsung the next time I see them, and borrow it to play for a few hours ... shopping around for a new "toy" since Android P is coming.

Only way I can see this as possible is if the t mobile phones use 2.4 radio as a hot spot and the 5gig as the connection to the other wifi.... Could swap the radios as well. I have Verizon and it just grays out every thing related to being a hotspot while in airplane mode

Me too! Fingers crossed that it's recorded somewhere on NCL's computers so that I can get my $125 credit towards an unlimited plan once I'm on the ship. :)

You should see it on your confirmation from NCL (I do), it's just missing when you log on to My NCL..😐

Only way I can see this as possible is if the t mobile phones use 2.4 radio as a hot spot and the 5gig as the connection to the other wifi.... Could swap the radios as well. I have Verizon and it just grays out every thing related to being a hotspot while in airplane mode

Radios don't matter. I have Unifi access points that blast out 4 different WiFi networks. One for my IoT setup, 5.8ghz for streaming devices, one for general, and one for guest access. So 3 networks on 2.4ghz, and one on 5.8.

Samsung definitely does have capability to share WiFi hotspot.

Literally first Google result: https://wccftech.com/how-to-enable-galaxy-s7-wifi-sharing/

Edit: Airplane mode, by default, grays out everything. Once airplane mode is active, you can enable WiFi and bluetooth individually. You just have to tap on them to turn them on. You can also completely exit airplane mode and keep cellular radio disabled.

APN, in this case, does not quite matter. APN only matters for cellular data. If you are attempting to redistribute a WiFi connection, APN is not needed.

When "WiFi Sharing" is enabled on a Samsung phone, it will redistribute any valid data connection, be it cell or WiFi.

Anyway, there are multiple ways to go around this. If you really don't feel like poking through your phone, there are other products out there. Connectify hotspot on any Windows laptop will work, and will turn your Windows laptop into a hotspot for free. Or buy a travel router, like Hootoo wireless travel router. They will gladly redistribute WiFi network over to you.

Radios don't matter. I have Unifi access points that blast out 4 different WiFi networks. One for my IoT setup, 5.8ghz for streaming devices, one for general, and one for guest access. So 3 networks on 2.4ghz, and one on 5.8.

Samsung definitely does have capability to share WiFi hotspot.

Literally first Google result: https://wccftech.com/how-to-enable-galaxy-s7-wifi-sharing/

Edit: Airplane mode, by default, grays out everything. Once airplane mode is active, you can enable WiFi and bluetooth individually. You just have to tap on them to turn them on. You can also completely exit airplane mode and keep cellular radio disabled.

Multiple SSIDs can easily be setup. What I was talking about multiple radio is that one radio listens for other SSIDs to join. The other radio will broadcast SSID(s). That's why I think t-mobile may have it operating with two radios. With Verizon and a S8+ I turn on airplane mode. Then I can turn wifi back on and it joins but then you go to re-enable the sharing it is grayed out and will not allow it to be activated.

Multiple SSIDs can easily be setup. What I was talking about multiple radio is that one radio listens for other SSIDs to join. The other radio will broadcast SSID(s). That's why I think t-mobile may have it operating with two radios. With Verizon and a S8+ I turn on airplane mode. Then I can turn wifi back on and it joins but then you go to re-enable the sharing it is grayed out and will not allow it to be activated.

Try this:

1 - Turn off Airplane mode

2 - Turn off Mobile Data (it's in quick toggles if you expand them)

3 - Go to Hotspot settings, make sure the "WiFi Sharing" is enabled

4 - Turn on hotspot.

I just did it and tested it with my Note 8. Worked flawlessly. My laptop is connected to my phone's hotspot and shows it's public IP of my home FIOS connection, not T-Mobile's pool.

Try this:

1 - Turn off Airplane mode

2 - Turn off Mobile Data (it's in quick toggles if you expand them)

3 - Go to Hotspot settings, make sure the "WiFi Sharing" is enabled

4 - Turn on hotspot.

I just did it and tested it with my Note 8. Worked flawlessly. My laptop is connected to my phone's hotspot and shows it's public IP of my home FIOS connection, not T-Mobile's pool.

Cool. Had not looked at turning off mobile data. Once I did that I got it to work.

I did verify it was using different radios. The actual wifi was connecting to 2.4 and it broadcasted its SSID on the 5 gig band.

Now I just need to make sure I turn off the roaming ability when I do that

Cool. Had not looked at turning off mobile data. Once I did that I got it to work.

I did verify it was using different radios. The actual wifi was connecting to 2.4 and it broadcasted its SSID on the 5 gig band.

Now I just need to make sure I turn off the roaming ability when I do that

I am not sure about other carriers, but with T-Mobile I get a text, something like "Do you REALLY want to enable roaming on a cruise ship?"

I usually leave roaming enabled, since I get free unlimited data and text in pretty much anywhere in the world for free, and my calls are only 20 cents a minute. But cruise ships are disabled by carrier, unless you specifically request to enable cruise ship roaming.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Is there an option to upgrade to the premium  streaming plan after getting on the ship?  From the examples given I don't see if that is possible from a cell phone or laptop.  

The procedure is, connect to wifi network, then enter login.com or is there another page to look for?

32 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Is there an option to upgrade to the premium  streaming plan after getting on the ship?  From the examples given I don't see if that is possible from a cell phone or laptop.  

The procedure is, connect to wifi network, then enter login.com or is there another page to look for?

Whichever device you are using - for example, your cellphone - you turn on the airplane mode and the wifi mode. Then connect it to the ship wifi network and yes enter the login.com. Once on that page, it will ask if you are a new user or already setup/signed on. You would go ahead to create a user/pw and then you will select the plan you wanted to use (for example) the comp. wifi. Remember to logout each time you finished. Then next time you use it, go to login.com again and input user/pw again.

1 hour ago, zitsky said:

Is there an option to upgrade to the premium  streaming plan after getting on the ship?  .... The procedure is, connect to wifi network, then enter login.com or is there another page to look for?

Login.com and Logout.com on your mobile/laptop browser is - correct - but, it will redirect and actually take you to NCL's "iCafe" URL, which is https://     digitalseas.io/?ma=xxxxxx (it's only accessible while connected to ship's WiFi inTRAnet) 

Just came back a week and a half ago on the Escape to Bermuda - see this post on the Semi Live blog/pictorial review, with screenshots - mostly from the smartphone/tablet.  Once you registered & setup as a user, you log-in and will be shown the options - to upgrade to unlimited should be shown on Day 1 and Day 2 only (deadline to change/upgrade to unlimited option from the Free At Sea 250 minutes promo plan, if selected) 

Otherwise, go see the iCafe manager during posted hours, during our sailing, there was a line, often rather long, to get help, tech support or just do whatever - all week long; although, pretty much everything was an easy DIY as far as I am concerned.  Prices are shown & if you agree, it will proceed & the applicable charges will be posted to your Onboard account associated with it.  

Depending on the specific ship, you should find the newest Norwegian App quite useful & functional for its free options, edging toward a limited PDA function ... replacing the outdated iConcierge App.  It's an imperfect App but served its purpose.  But, to use it to make onboard calls to even Guest Services or make Specialty Dining reservations, one needs to pay the one-time $9.95 fee to do it, which would also include unlimited texting on the ship among other registered users (not off/to/from the ship to land/cellular users ...) 

*** There are some surprising features on this new APP,  which I just realized as since disembarking last Sunday, I never logged out and it remained "active" - thus, updating & refreshing in the background, apparently "tracking" ... very interesting. 

@zitsky Yes, still priced at $34.99 per day for the premium unlimited plan that support streaming & VPN.

These info & options also displayed on a full browser (desktop/laptop) but in a different format ... it seemed that prices are not standardized pretty much across the NCL fleet, from what I've read lately.   Color brochure described the newest App in details, picked up at ship's iCafe counter/desk area. 

Collage 2018-11-02 14_27_25.jpg

Collage 2018-11-02 14_29_06.jpg

Edited by mking8288

2 hours ago, zitsky said:

Two people in one room use the same login and password and go to login.com / logout.com??

Yes.  When you go to Log in, and the other person is presently logged in, you will get an error and a button that allows you to terminate the other session.  Have fun with that.  I did!

How to redeem your credit toward an unlimited package without seeing the Internet Manager

(and she wishes this instruction was posted clearly too!)

Follow the posted instructions to create your account and log in

You will get a screen telling you that you have a credit (mine was 250 minutes)

Nothing else shows except a REDEEM button.  I was unwilling to redeem it as I was afraid I would be locked out from using it as a credit toward an unlimited package. 

But you have to click REDEEM.  Only then do you see the options for various Internet packages including the 3 unlimited packages.  You pick one, credit applied, charged the balance. (I got $125 off the basic unlimited - middle level.)

Not that on the Basic Unlimited you CANNOT do Wi-Fi calling, Facetime, etc. You must have premium.  These were enabled the first half of our cruise by accident.  Then turned off.

Minus 250 points to NCL IT.