Upgraded to Cloud 9 Spa Balcony and would like to know more about it....

maddea20

We're on the Magic in 2 days in a spa cabin... Can you tell me what time the thermal suite area opens on embarkation day? We had a spa cabin on the Dream a few years ago, and it seems like they may have had those things closed until after they had done all their first day spa tours. Thanks!

Can you report back on the spa when you return. My daughter and I are thinking of getting a day spa pass on our Magic cruise. TIA

So, my best friend and I tried the Cloud 9 spa cabin when the Splendor first set sail in 2009 (first ship to have Cloud 9). At that time, I had a long-term professional relationship with my TA and he upgraded us as a "gift" - we were hooked from day 1 and find it difficult to even consider a ship without something similar (really!).

The location of the cabins is wonderful for us. we aren't big partiers, and the location of the spa cabins are pretty remote, and have very little foot traffic (pretty much only those who "live" in the neighborhood). The decor was serene, and much more zen than any cabin we'd ever had before. The big comfy terrycloth robes were divine. The spa products were lovely (at that time they even included a lavender pillow spray that was heavenly).

And then there was the spa itself! We created a daily ritual for ourselves, where we would head to the spa around 4:00 when many were heading "home" to get ready for the evening. We would start in the thalassotherapy spa "pool" (a warmer and much larger jacuzzi type "pool"), and then make our way from steam room (with citrus or eucalyptus essential oils), to the less and less "hot" rooms, until we finally made our way to the heated loungers where we would just melt. Overall our "ritual" would last about 90 minutes. We'd bob and weave back "home" (I say bob and weave, because we were quite relaxed by this time), and take turns showering and hanging out on our balcony in those big comfy terrycloth robes, watching the sun set and coming back to life. For as long as it's been offered we've had "any time dining" and this allowed us to make our way to dinner, when we wanted (or I should say if we wanted!).

When we cruised with Celebrity to Alaska we were on the Mercury (she is now retired) and that ship had a similar spa (complete with the thelassotherapy pool and all) - let me tell you, it added an additional level of delight to that Alaska sailing! We now impatiently wait for another ship with a Cloud 9 or similar spa to sail to Alaska again.

I'm pretty sure I mentioned already that we're hooked on Cloud 9.

For the record, we never spend $ on the ship for massages or other treatments. The Cloud 9 alone is all the relaxation we need.

It's not for everyone, but if you enjoy a good steam/sauna, Cloud 9 is your place, and it cannot be beat.

A couple of facts about Horizon. The Spa pool is not very big. Perhaps I missed it, but it is not advertised as a "thalasso pool." It is usually a sea water pool, but neither Horizon or Splendor had any salt in the water when I tried them. I asked what minerals or salts they put in the water and I was told "ordinary" filtered water. The carpet in the halls and spa rooms is different, and they do have small bottles of Euro products.You get a fluffy robe, but all the robes are fluffy because the ship is new. (I was on the third sailing.) Horizon has a different elevator system than people are familiar with. You must select your floor in the hallway. There are no floor buttons in the cab. Unlike Splendor there is no elevator in the bow that serves the two spa floors and the deck below. I found that elevator quite nice. Horizon only has two elevators that serve the spa decks that are in the forward bank of eight elevators. Those two also serve all the other decks.

They do give you a bag of salt and a scruffy to exfoliate. While free, you have to ask for it.

I did appreciate the thermal suites (sauna and steam rooms) on both ships. I do wish they had some salty sausages to eat after a sauna in the true Finnish tradition.

I am sure you and your mom will have an excellent time.

Edited by Moviela

I have only been in an interior spa room on the Dream, but I can describe two nice benefits besides all of the good ones everyone here has discussed so far.

A) There are very few children in the spa cabins. I don't mind children being on my cruise, but it is kind of nice that they won't be running around in my hallway. In other words, it is a bit quieter in general.

B) If you are very close enough to the spa, it can be a time saver getting ready for dinner. When my wife and I are showering, dressing, getting ready for dinner, it can get kind of tough with only one shower. So she will use the one in the cabin, and I just grab my things and go down to the spa to do so. Sometimes the shower in the spa can be a lot nicer than in the cabin anyway. :D

I have only been in an interior spa room on the Dream, but I can describe two nice benefits besides all of the good ones everyone here has discussed so far.

A) There are very few children in the spa cabins. I don't mind children being on my cruise, but it is kind of nice that they won't be running around in my hallway. In other words, it is a bit quieter in general.

B) If you are very close enough to the spa, it can be a time saver getting ready for dinner. When my wife and I are showering, dressing, getting ready for dinner, it can get kind of tough with only one shower. So she will use the one in the cabin, and I just grab my things and go down to the spa to do so. Sometimes the shower in the spa can be a lot nicer than in the cabin anyway. :D

Most of the time A is probably true but on our February cruise on the Magic we were in a balcony spa cabin and right next door to us was a family with 2 children under 5 so you never know.

Well you make it sound so heavenly :halo: that it seems one must try it out at least.

So, my best friend and I tried the Cloud 9 spa cabin when the Splendor first set sail in 2009 (first ship to have Cloud 9). At that time, I had a long-term professional relationship with my TA and he upgraded us as a "gift" - we were hooked from day 1 and find it difficult to even consider a ship without something similar (really!).

The location of the cabins is wonderful for us. we aren't big partiers, and the location of the spa cabins are pretty remote, and have very little foot traffic (pretty much only those who "live" in the neighborhood). The decor was serene, and much more zen than any cabin we'd ever had before. The big comfy terrycloth robes were divine. The spa products were lovely (at that time they even included a lavender pillow spray that was heavenly).

And then there was the spa itself! We created a daily ritual for ourselves, where we would head to the spa around 4:00 when many were heading "home" to get ready for the evening. We would start in the thalassotherapy spa "pool" (a warmer and much larger jacuzzi type "pool"), and then make our way from steam room (with citrus or eucalyptus essential oils), to the less and less "hot" rooms, until we finally made our way to the heated loungers where we would just melt. Overall our "ritual" would last about 90 minutes. We'd bob and weave back "home" (I say bob and weave, because we were quite relaxed by this time), and take turns showering and hanging out on our balcony in those big comfy terrycloth robes, watching the sun set and coming back to life. For as long as it's been offered we've had "any time dining" and this allowed us to make our way to dinner, when we wanted (or I should say if we wanted!).

When we cruised with Celebrity to Alaska we were on the Mercury (she is now retired) and that ship had a similar spa (complete with the thelassotherapy pool and all) - let me tell you, it added an additional level of delight to that Alaska sailing! We now impatiently wait for another ship with a Cloud 9 or similar spa to sail to Alaska again.

I'm pretty sure I mentioned already that we're hooked on Cloud 9.

For the record, we never spend $ on the ship for massages or other treatments. The Cloud 9 alone is all the relaxation we need.

It's not for everyone, but if you enjoy a good steam/sauna, Cloud 9 is your place, and it cannot be beat.

Thanks for your mini review.

A couple of facts about Horizon. The Spa pool is not very big. Perhaps I missed it, but it is not advertised as a "thalasso pool." It is usually a sea water pool, but neither Horizon or Splendor had any salt in the water when I tried them. I asked what minerals or salts they put in the water and I was told "ordinary" filtered water. The carpet in the halls and spa rooms is different, and they do have small bottles of Euro products.You get a fluffy robe, but all the robes are fluffy because the ship is new. (I was on the third sailing.) Horizon has a different elevator system than people are familiar with. You must select your floor in the hallway. There are no floor buttons in the cab. Unlike Splendor there is no elevator in the bow that serves the two spa floors and the deck below. I found that elevator quite nice. Horizon only has two elevators that serve the spa decks that are in the forward bank of eight elevators. Those two also serve all the other decks.

They do give you a bag of salt and a scruffy to exfoliate. While free, you have to ask for it.

I did appreciate the thermal suites (sauna and steam rooms) on both ships. I do wish they had some salty sausages to eat after a sauna in the true Finnish tradition.

I am sure you and your mom will have an excellent time.