Travel out of LGW to meet ship in Bergen - strict liquid restrictions?

aungrl

Looking for any recent experiences anyone has had with traveling out of Gatwick. I haven’t been out of Gatwick for a departure that requires clearing security for years, and I’m wondering about how strictly they enforce the 1 quart bag/3.3 ounce liquids rule?

Some background: Ever since joining GOES/TSA precheck (5 years ago), I’ve never had to take anything out of my carryon luggage, with one exception (Heathrow). Admittedly, this has made me pretty sloppy about using a plastic travel bag that is larger than one quart, not paying any attention to the size of the bottles that go in there, etc. The only airport in the world that has ever questioned this is LHR, and their policies are EXTREMELY strict, in my experience. (Example: The TSA-provided definition of a liquid is ‘something that won’t hold it’s own shape outside it’s container’. Toothpaste is generally acknowledged not to fit this definition, but at Heathrow, I’ve been told on more than one occasion that ANY gel, paste, liquid, or cream must be in the 1 quart bag.)

Remembering my Heathrow experiences this morning, and thinking about the Gatwick - Bergen flight, I thought it would be a good idea to check with the forum to see if any of you have recent Gatwick experience that might shed some light on how much they adhere to the ‘letter of the law’. Thanks!

Wow - very helpful link! And now I understand the LHR experiences a little more clearly. Thanks very much for forwarding it, and for forwarding it so quickly.

The TSA-provided definition of a liquid is ‘something that won’t hold it’s own shape outside it’s container’. Toothpaste is generally acknowledged not to fit this definition,

TSA took my toothpaste just a few weeks ago ..... I was SO ashamed .... it was only half full but rules are rules ...

btw ... Crest ....

and I was TSA PRE ....

I think you will find that ALL British airports are very strict on liquids going through security. Look at our government website and you'll see what's allowed. https://www.gov.uk/hand-luggage-restrictions

Hope this helps!

You got that right! At many airports around the world I can send 3 oz liquids through the machine at security in my cosmetic bag but British airports insist that they be in the regulation size sheer quart bag. They're picky.

LGW is professional and extremely strict - and rightly so. However, I believe that passengers are able to purchase normal size liquids in the duty free lounge and take them on board the aircraft with no problem (provided you can fit them into your carry on luggage). I might be wrong, but that's been my recent experience of dear old Gatwick.

I usually decant shampoo/conditioner etc into small plastic bottles which are the correct size, and carry those through in a small clear pvc bag, and place those in my cabin bag. I also carry (for much longer trips) normal size bottles of shampoo/conditioner etc wrapped in several ordinary plastic (food type) bags which is put into my checked-in luggage.

Similarly for a shortish holiday I will put my tiny size deods and hairspray into the little clear pvc bag and take that through security and then put it quickly into my cabin bag before boarding the aircraft. Normal size aerosols are put into plastic bags and packed into the checked-in luggage.

I know for a fact that shoes have to be removed for security, and although tablets and phones can be simply left in a cabin bag sometimes for security, laptops always have to come out of their bags to go through security at all UK airports.

LGW is professional and extremely strict - and rightly so. However, I believe that passengers are able to purchase normal size liquids in the duty free lounge and take them on board the aircraft with no problem (provided you can fit them into your carry on luggage). I might be wrong, but that's been my recent experience of dear old Gatwick.

I usually decant shampoo/conditioner etc into small plastic bottles which are the correct size, and carry those through in a small clear pvc bag, and place those in my cabin bag. I also carry (for much longer trips) normal size bottles of shampoo/conditioner etc wrapped in several ordinary plastic (food type) bags which is put into my checked-in luggage.

Duty and Tax free especially useful for sunscreen etc. as offers at the airport can be cheaper than at the local pharmacy and you still get your "Boots" points!

Similarly for a shortish holiday I will put my tiny size deods and hairspray into the little clear pvc bag and take that through security and then put it quickly into my cabin bag before boarding the aircraft. Normal size aerosols are put into plastic bags and packed into the checked-in luggage.

I know for a fact that shoes have to be removed for security ...Depends on the shoe type and the airport - recently Glasgow airport departing, DH shoes left on (Sketchers), no problems - me, open toe flat sandals kept on beeped through the scanner arch and then sandals requested off to go through the x-ray scanner separately (metal in them somewhere or who knows!). Other ladies with wedge sandals had to remove them. But I've also been allowed to keep flat trainers type shoes on but had to remove winter flat boots. It seems to be all quite random sometimes, which is as it should be I suppose. I always take off any large pieces of jewellery(costume jewellery necklaces) that might set the scanner off and put them into my handbag.

and although tablets and phones can be simply left in a cabin bag sometimes for security

any mobile phones, iPads, keys, loose change, belts, jackets, cardigans etc must be out into the trays, thats our recent experience anyway (LHR, London City, Glasgow, Aberdeen, LGW) laptops always have to come out of their bags to go through security at all UK airports (correct).

You'll be ok buying your duty free in full size bottles to take to Bergen - after going through security.

And sometimes they can be very strict about the size and type of clear plastic bag you use, so I always take a couple of extras from their supply for future use. And don't keep anything in your pockets either - not even a tissue!

Thanks for this detail. I think this may be the difference in me being able to travel carry-on only for this trip, or having to resort to also checking a bag. Although the idea of buying sunscreen, etc., once through security and before boarding the plane might help.

This shoe thing is a mystery to me - I've had exactly the same pair of shoes on my feet for one security and been taken to one side and told to remove them for inspection during the next airport visit. This includes Sketchers (currently my favourite shoes for comfort), and includes both LHR and LGW. I've even taken the shoes off and then still had problems!

However, I don't get these problems in any of the Southampton cruise terminals. Nowadays I prefer to take my tablet and leave my laptop safely back at home.

Thankfully, both LGW and LHR take security seriously. They are very thorough and I usually end up getting either my carry on searched or myself - and no, I don't look like a terrorist, I'm a law abiding grandma. So randomly the chances of getting searched seems high. They WILL remove any toiletries in sizes larger than those allowed.

They provide the correct plastic bags free at the entrance to Securty.

Our experience of USA airports is very much less strict, they often appear to be chatting to each other and any scanning is minimal. Neither do they seem bothered about what you put your liquids in.