Mahogany Bay beach

~Christie~

Can someone please tell me or point me in the right direction to find these answers:

At the port of Mahogany Bay, Roatan, the beach is free correct? Can you rent the "flying chairs", floats, chairs, paddle boards, etc. separate from the packages that Carnival offers on their excursion page? Example: we want to just ride the "flying chairs" and get floats, would that be possible? If so, would anyone happen to know the individual pricing?

Thanks in advance.

We were there last year, and it was one of my favorite stops for an easy beach day. The beach is free as are the chairs. I think the umbrellas were for rent, we found a nice selection of chairs (loungers) around a grove of palm trees and it was perfect. There is a bar with food/drinks for sale, as well as snorkel gear and other things to buy and rent. You can get a pass for the chair lift, the walk is only 5 minutes and wasn't far at all for us.

Can't tell you exact prices but we did the clam shell and it was awesome. Front row on the beach and if you rent online before no need to wait in huge line once you get there, just head straight to beach and an employee will get you set up. Beach is free as are chairs (in not a prime location). I think we paid $50 for clam shell which included 2 tix on chair. Walk is a few mins tops tho chair really isn't needed.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Forums mobile app

Thank you all so much! We have been to Roatan a few times but we have always done an excursion and this time we are looking just to relax on the beach.

Sounds like this will be our excursion this time!

Can't tell you exact prices but we did the clam shell and it was awesome. Front row on the beach and if you rent online before no need to wait in huge line once you get there, just head straight to beach and an employee will get you set up. Beach is free as are chairs (in not a prime location). I think we paid $50 for clam shell which included 2 tix on chair. Walk is a few mins tops tho chair really isn't needed.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Forums mobile app

We rented a clam shell when we were there and wished we hadn't. Although they do provide shade, there is no ventilation to allow air to flow through, and it gets hot and stuffy very quickly under there. We raised it up in the back to allow air to pass through, which helped. But, I doubt that we would ever rent one again. Although it is an easy walk to the beach, taking the chair lift gave us an opportunity to get some great photos of the ship and the surrounding area. ;)

Love Mahogany Bay.

--Beach chairs are free.

--Umbrellas, clams and other water toys are for a charge.

--Food and drinks are for a charge.

If you rent anything online, just beware that you may lose money if it rains all day; but, it could very easily rain in the morning then be great at lunch time. That's happened to us several times.

Also, beware of the sand fleas, or "noseeums". This used to be an issue, but not so much the last few years. I, personally, will not use a bug spray, but just beware that Honduras is known for them. If you get bit, you'll itch for days.

If you don't want/need a lot of sun, there are always chairs available in the shade (my favorite area). And, it's not like it's far away from the water - it isn't.

There is a great little nature trail you can walk to and from the ship. When you exit out of the store, just make a hard right turn. There's a sign right there for the trail. It's nice and not a hard walk at all, as nature trails go. Takes you right to the beach (or back).

Enjoy as it truly is a beautiful area.

Thank you all for the great tips! We are looking to spend less at this port b/c our other port excursions are little more expensive - so we were looking for a cheaper relaxing day! It seems as this will do nicely! :D

The water isn't all that nice. e.g. it's like smooth like a millpond with no waves/circulation, warm & tepid too. I'm guessing this is by design ( e.g. keep the cruise passengers safe from waves, drop-offs, rip currents),

While safe, it doesn't match my vision of a Caribbean island beach, but then the beer is cold....

AFA renting anything there, I wouldn't. Sitting in a breeze/view blocking cabana seems at odds with the beach experience. There are plenty of free loungers in the shade of the numerous trees there.