RCCL to Carnival

As someone who as only cruised Royal Caribbean with the exception of once which was on Disney I'm interested for people's opinions as I'm interested in Carnival but so far haven't tried them.

1. What do you like about Carnival and how do they compare to RC.

2. What are you favourite Carnival ships.

3. Anything else worth comparing to Royal Caribbean.

With these two cruise lines especially it is important to compare specific ships, or ships within the same class. For example, their is a huuuuuuuge difference between a Carnival Fantasy class ship and one of Royal's Oasis class ships. We have done both and if I stepped aboard Carnival Fantasy (Carnival's oldest ship) after sailing Oasis, man, what a let down that would be.

Speaking in general, if you have been overall pleased with Royal's ships and have not just sailed their oldest vessels (think Majesty, Empress or any Vision class), I would say look for one of Carnival's Dream class or newer ships. They have more modern decor compared to others in the fleet which practically scream 1980's tackiness. Lots of good on board options for food with many include in your fare (Blue Iguana in particular we really enjoy), wrap-around decks great for a stroll and we love Ocean Plaza. Great place for pre-dinner cocktails and live music. Overall we find Carnival ahead for included food, Royal better for specialty dining. Service pretty similar on both. Carnival entertainment we find lacking. Productions shows fairly amateurish and "bands" seem to often just be duos or trios with pre-recorded backing tracks.

They are both mainstream cruise lines, but there are differences. I like both

RC tends to be a bit more traditional -- they still have tablecloths every night; Carnival did away with them except on formal nights.

Carnival has made big strides, in my opinion, in the service department, but I still think RC edges them out. There's nothing in particular to mention, but I just feel the overall service on RC is a bit better.

Food on Carnival is on par with RC. You will, of course, find varying opinions on that. I'm talking MDR because it is rare for us to eat on Lido with the exception of Guy's Burger Joint (oh-so-greasy but oh-so-good) and Tandoori, which I think is only on Dream, for some really good Indian food.

RC ships in the past have tended to be more sedate than Carnival, but Carnival is moving away from the garish, Las-Vegas-nightclub vibe they used to ooze from every pore.

Thanks for all the replies great info , I must admit when I've viewed some of the Carnival ships I have felt they have that 90's Vegas style glitz which doesn't really do it for me.

Which of their fleet have moved away from this styling ?

Thanks for all the replies great info , I must admit when I've viewed some of the Carnival ships I have felt they have that 90's Vegas style glitz which doesn't really do it for me.

Which of their fleet have moved away from this styling ?

Breeze, Vista, Horizon and the upcoming Panorama. They all have a more Modern Contemporary look to me from pictures I've seen while researching going on a newer ship.

What are people's experiences in the buffet (lido marketplace) in comparison to the Windjammer ?

As is said here a lot, food is subjective. I haven't been on RC, so I can't make comparisons, but for the most part, I've enjoyed the food on Lido on Carnival. Sometimes you get a dish or item that isn't so great, but that's true of any restaurant.

With these two cruise lines especially it is important to compare specific ships, or ships within the same class. For example, their is a huuuuuuuge difference between a Carnival Fantasy class ship and one of Royal's Oasis class ships. We have done both and if I stepped aboard Carnival Fantasy (Carnival's oldest ship) after sailing Oasis, man, what a let down that would be.

Speaking in general, if you have been overall pleased with Royal's ships and have not just sailed their oldest vessels (think Majesty, Empress or any Vision class), I would say look for one of Carnival's Dream class or newer ships. They have more modern decor compared to others in the fleet which practically scream 1980's tackiness. Lots of good on board options for food with many include in your fare (Blue Iguana in particular we really enjoy), wrap-around decks great for a stroll and we love Ocean Plaza. Great place for pre-dinner cocktails and live music. Overall we find Carnival ahead for included food, Royal better for specialty dining. Service pretty similar on both. Carnival entertainment we find lacking. Productions shows fairly amateurish and "bands" seem to often just be duos or trios with pre-recorded backing tracks.

Which speciality restaurants have you tried with Carnival ? And what are your thoughts on them ?

Which speciality restaurants have you tried with Carnival ? And what are your thoughts on them ?

We have done the steakhouse on Sunshine, Spirit and Magic. All were pretty good in terms of the food itself. Decor and service I would put a notch below Chops on Royal.

We have also done Jiji's Asian Kitchen on two different cruises on Sunshine and absolutely love it. Its pretty darn casual. The room itself does not feel all that special but the food is excellent. If you like Asian fusion its a must-do. Really creative menu and cheap at I believe only $15 per person. I believe Jiji's is only on a couple of other ships. Maybe someone else can weigh in? Its really fantastic.

On the other hand, Cucina del Capitan is incredibly mediocre Italian. On par with US chain Italian places like Olive Garden. Menu is not at all inventive (spaghetti and meatballs, chicken parmesan etc.), just the usual suspects. If you have done Giovanni's Table on Royal I think it is light years better. More creative menu, better prepared and a more upscale environment.

We have done the steakhouse on Sunshine, Spirit and Magic. All were pretty good in terms of the food itself. Decor and service I would put a notch below Chops on Royal.

We have also done Jiji's Asian Kitchen on two different cruises on Sunshine and absolutely love it. Its pretty darn casual. The room itself does not feel all that special but the food is excellent. If you like Asian fusion its a must-do. Really creative menu and cheap at I believe only $15 per person. I believe Jiji's is only on a couple of other ships. Maybe someone else can weigh in? Its really fantastic.

On the other hand, Cucina del Capitan is incredibly mediocre Italian. On par with US chain Italian places like Olive Garden. Menu is not at all inventive (spaghetti and meatballs, chicken parmesan etc.), just the usual suspects. If you have done Giovanni's Table on Royal I think it is light years better. More creative menu, better prepared and a more upscale environment.

Yes we have done both Giovanni's and Chops Grille on Royal and enjoyed both.

Our last cruise on Navigator lacked snack places on the pool decks , is Carnival any better in this respect ? It was a pain to have to go down to the Windjammer for food the only option nearer was Johnny Rockets which has a charge and we didn't fancy it much.

Yes we have done both Giovanni's and Chops Grille on Royal and enjoyed both.

Our last cruise on Navigator lacked snack places on the pool decks , is Carnival any better in this respect ? It was a pain to have to go down to the Windjammer for food the only option nearer was Johnny Rockets which has a charge and we didn't fancy it much.

In addition to the buffet, most Carnival ships have Blue Iguana (open for breakfast and lunch, breakfast burritos and the fish tacos at lunch I really like) and Guy's Burger Joint (open for lunch and usually closes around 6:00, pretty decent burgers, greasy as all get out). These are located on the lido deck so very convenient.

In addition to the buffet, most Carnival ships have Blue Iguana (open for breakfast and lunch, breakfast burritos and the fish tacos at lunch I really like) and Guy's Burger Joint (open for lunch and usually closes around 6:00, pretty decent burgers, greasy as all get out). These are located on the lido deck so very convenient.

Thanks for the quick reply , that sounds great.

Anyone been on the Carnival Horizon ? If so what do you think ?

We’ve sailed Royal Caribbean, NCL, Princess, and Carnival. I have to say that out of them all, Carnival and Royal are the most similar. They both have younger crowds with more to do late night. Royals MDR is slightly better than Carnivals, Royals Lido is a little better too, but Carnival is waaay better in casual dining. The Free stuff: Blue Iguana is like Chipotle’s, everything is wrapped in a tortilla and is made to order (excellent), Guy Fieri’s burgers (free with tons of burger choices, excellent fries, and a huge gourmet toppings bar), free soft serve ice cream 24-7, free home made pizza 24-7 (dough made fresh daily). Paid stuff: JiJi’s Asian $15 pp at dinner is top notch and free for lunch, La Cuchina Italian $15 pp at dinner is pretty good (not excellent) and free for lunch, Seafood Shack is excellent and inexpensive.

The best of the Dream class is the Breeze hands down. The colors are soft, light, airy and it has the most upscale decor of all of the Carnival ships IMHO. And it has Guys, La Cuchina, Blue Iguana, and the seafood shack. It’s a newer ship but not the newest so the prices aren’t too high. The sports deck is amazing with mini golf, the ropes course, pool tables, foosball, ping pong tables, a free hot dig stand, a bar for drinks. We are sailing the Vista in September so I can’t compare that class yet but I’ve heard lots of good stuff about the new cabin categories like the Havana Cabana cabins and the Family Harbor cabins.

My family and I have sailed both Carnival and RC many many times. We eventually settled on Carnival because we all agreed that we just seem to have a bit more fun on Carnival. The entertainment staff seems to be more involved. We have been on the Allure and it was amazing, however, it is much easier for us to pile into the car and drive an hour and twenty minutes to New Orleans, rather than fly to Ft. Lauderdale. We absolutely love the Dream and have three cruises planned on her in the next few months.

You do get more free dining options on Carnival and they have stepped up their game a bit in that arena as of late. I believe the steakhouse on Carnival is second to none. We have been to chops, but enjoy the Carnival steakhouse even better. What an awesome experience!

Overall, I think the food is about the same. Each have their own standouts and in the end, it seems to balance out.

Cheers!

Brad

What are people's experiences in the buffet (lido marketplace) in comparison to the Windjammer ?

I think if you group in guys, blue iguana cantina, pizza, and tandoori (on breeze and magic) along with the lido marketplace, then carnival wins every time. The quality in my opinion is better (last 2 cruises were on the Breeze and Freedom of the Seas) and the variety is amazing.

I think the food is comparable however I think the seating options on Carnival was much better. Every RC seating has been a huge problem.

We’ve done one cruise on each. RCL Freedom and CCL Magic. We preferred the size of the Magic. Very easy to get used to the layout. We pretty much enjoy every vacation so can’t really say one was better than the other. Service was good on both. Food was also good on both, but I think I liked RCL’s main dining room a little more. We stay away from the buffets, so no opinion on that. I just thought there was more variety and better service on RCL. We had a great wait team on RCL - left them a large extra tip at the end as they were like family by the end of the week. Our wait team on Carnival just took our orders, served our food and barely interacted with us. As far as the overall environment, I can’t really say. They were two very different cruises for us. On RCL our kids were 14 and 17 and we went with my in laws too, so it was a more family oriented vacation for us. On CCL it was the two of us and our kids were 18 and 21 and the older took her boyfriend too. We spent a lot more time just the two of us and the kids had a great time on their own and joined us for dinner each night and here and there. There seemed to be more partying but that could have been just because we were involved in it more on CCL and stayed away from it on RCL because our kids were younger. I would do either one again if the price and itinerary were right. We’ve also done NCL and would do that again as well. We feel a vacation is what you make of it, so I think we’d be happy with almost anything.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I will stick my nose into the conversation. Food: comparable. Specialty: Chops versus Carnival....Carnival. Giovanni's on Royal blows away Carnival. Crew: Carnival...example CD, on Royal, they act like they are Royalty, on Carnival, they are fun, open, 180 degree different vibe from Royal. Ship: there is no comparision, Carnival it is either one of their older small ships, or it is the same Fincanterri built ships that make you often go up one deck then down one deck to get where you are going. Passenger base....again different demographic, this gets personal, so will not offer an opinion

Just my opinion, but I feel RC is a step up from Carnival. Not a giant step, but a step.

Carnival is like Walmart, RC is like Target.

Hi

Just saw this...I have made the same comment on other threads. This sort of statement is meaningless depending on where you live.

For example: where I live Walmart is large, clean, with great prices = good value. While Target couldn't compete and is now bankrupt. Is that really what you are suggesting will happen to RCCL?

We feel a vacation is what you make of it, so I think we’d be happy with almost anything.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Completely agree with that , as I've said on here before what's put me off Carnival in the past is comments from friends about Carnival being a booze cruise line giving the impression it's full of drunks.

Don't get me wrong we drink and like to have a good time but being a family we don't want a cruise that's full of drunken guests everywhere.

Thanks a great read and very helpful.

I know this is purely personal preference but which line do you prefer overall.

So, the one thing that makes it a little difficult to compare our Carnival cruises to the RCI one is that we did European for the RCI one, so some very different things to begin with. The food is very different than the Caribbean cruises we've done on CCL. It was good though. But I'm a pretty basic eater, give me some grilled chicken and potatoes and I'm good! LOL! Our teenage son loved the food on both of them, he eats a lot more than me! LOL!

I felt that Carnival had more food options for during the sea days, but again, much warmer temps means more reason to have more things around the pools. We sailed RCI in July, and still barely had any "nice" sea days. RCI has some better entertainment, more variety it seems. We did interact with the crew a lot more, but again, probably because we've always done our Caribbean ones with friends. The RCI one it was just the 3 of us, so we sought out other people to hang with.

At the end of the day, we feel if we're on a cruise, on vacation, we're all good. We're not overly picky or concerned about decor or things like that. We want polite, cordial crew members, it's nice if you have ones that go above and beyond, and we've found that on both lines. We want good food, but it doesn't need to be fancy. We want to be able to relax and enjoy our cruise. I feel that too many people are looking for something specific from others to make their cruise a good one. Maybe the problem is with them. ;) My husband and I have both traveled around the world in our lives, separately and as a family. We have enjoyed all of our cruises.

So that probably doesn't answer your question... although if I had to pick a cruise right now, and was to pick between these two, I would probably pick Carnival since we just cruise them more and have been happy. We have our Gold status there, so we get our free drink and bottle of water. ;p Plus, if we can save some money and still have a great time, we do.

Completely agree with that , as I've said on here before what's put me off Carnival in the past is comments from friends about Carnival being a booze cruise line giving the impression it's full of drunks.

Don't get me wrong we drink and like to have a good time but being a family we don't want a cruise that's full of drunken guests everywhere.

So, as a comment to that, I don't drink. My husband has a drink maybe a few times during the cruise, usually a glass of wine with dinner. And our friends we travel with may have some wine with dinner, or a fruity drink on occasion during the day. And we still don't feel overrun by drunks everywhere. And trust me, always being the fully sober one, I know when I'm surrounded by drunks, and I don't like it. Not saying there aren't people drinking and getting drunk, just that it's not this whole idea of drunk people hanging from the balconies! ;)

I really have a feeling that this impression came from their 3-day cruises. They still do them, but they do WAYYY... more longer cruises than those. the 3-day cruises are cheap, and usually to the Bahamas it seems. So I can see how this would attract the people who want to get drunk. But even when we did that one about 12 years ago, we still didn't have any problems. We only did that one because we had 2 couples who had never cruised, so they were worried about enjoying it. They liked it so much we did a 7-day one all together a year later.