So Excited - Triumph in September!

katibug

No worries! But you liked the excursion? I am hoping it is fun and interesting, and not simply a "hard sell" of the rum...I'd love to hear your thoughts!

We loved it! We met at the end of the pier before you get to the shops. They told us we had time to look around before we left - (I took a few $1 shots of tequila before we left ;p) We were on a bus that fit about 15-20 and we had a single tour guide and a driver. The driver didn’t speak much English; the accent of the tour guide was thick but I could understand him. We took off for Merida which is about a 45 minute ride. As we rode, the guide told us about the stuff we passed. We stopped in Merida at an old home and got the history of that (just looked from the sidewalk). We went to the downtown square and toured an old home; there were beggars everywhere - forewarning. We then headed toward the rum factory but first stopped to get some handmade corn tortillas. These were good. The rum factory was neat - we got to sample a lot and got to see the entire process that was done there. We went in January and oh boy, it was HOT. Literally 95 degrees and my elderly grandmother couldn’t stand the heat in the distilling room so she went back in the house where it was air conditioned. There really wasn’t a hard sale on the rum; of course they push it, but they aren’t forcing you to buy it. I did notice the same rum at the port is only $1 more a bottle. A little warning: no lunch is provided during this tour and you’re gone during lunch. They provide a light snack of popcorn at the rum factory but it’s not much. I took some boxes of cereal from the ship to snack on which I would recommend. But don’t take any fruit or anything like that.

Let me know if you have any questions.

We loved it! We met at the end of the pier before you get to the shops. They told us we had time to look around before we left - (I took a few $1 shots of tequila before we left ;p) We were on a bus that fit about 15-20 and we had a single tour guide and a driver. The driver didn’t speak much English; the accent of the tour guide was thick but I could understand him. We took off for Merida which is about a 45 minute ride. As we rode, the guide told us about the stuff we passed. We stopped in Merida at an old home and got the history of that (just looked from the sidewalk). We went to the downtown square and toured an old home; there were beggars everywhere - forewarning. We then headed toward the rum factory but first stopped to get some handmade corn tortillas. These were good. The rum factory was neat - we got to sample a lot and got to see the entire process that was done there. We went in January and oh boy, it was HOT. Literally 95 degrees and my elderly grandmother couldn’t stand the heat in the distilling room so she went back in the house where it was air conditioned. There really wasn’t a hard sale on the rum; of course they push it, but they aren’t forcing you to buy it. I did notice the same rum at the port is only $1 more a bottle. A little warning: no lunch is provided during this tour and you’re gone during lunch. They provide a light snack of popcorn at the rum factory but it’s not much. I took some boxes of cereal from the ship to snack on which I would recommend. But don’t take any fruit or anything like that.

Let me know if you have any questions.

This sounds like a winning excursion to me. :) Thank you for the details!

First post here in many, many years. :) My best friend and I will be cruising out of NOLA in September, to celebrate her 50th birthday. Our last cruise was in December 2013 - so we're a little out of practice!

We booked a balcony cabin on Empress (7386) with Your Time Dining, and plan to arrive in NOLA two days early to play, as we love the city.

Any advice, must-do, or must-see? We'd like to book excursions in both ports, since we've never been to Mexico.

Looking forward to reading your suggestions!

~Katie

Took our honeymoon on the triumph....a dozen years ago. Always have a special place in our hearts!

Oh no!! Details please.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Uh oh - I am a little afraid to ask, but what happened?

I wouldn't be too concerned about someone with five posts who just registered to trash Carnival. But his other posts indicate he didn't like any of the food on board or the fact that the dining room dress code wasn't strictly enforced.

I wouldn't be too concerned about someone with five posts who just registered to trash Carnival. But his other posts indicate he didn't like any of the food on board or the fact that the dining room dress code wasn't strictly enforced.

I agree with Greg. You will get used to people who just vent nasty and exaggerated comments. We ate so much on Triumph that I could hardly walk off the ship, we wore shorts and t-shirts on formal night (ate in the buffet, not the dining room) and loved just about everything else about the ship.

I agree with Greg. You will get used to people who just vent nasty and exaggerated comments. We ate so much on Triumph that I could hardly walk off the ship, we wore shorts and t-shirts on formal night (ate in the buffet, not the dining room) and loved just about everything else about the ship.

Thank you. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I will be on the Triumph again in September as well. I've sailed her several times, the latest being in May. I do think she is in dire need of some TLC, which she is getting in a few months. One thing that did not disappoint in May was the food, we ate often and plenty of it! The ship itself is pretty ragged, dirty, smelly and noticeably unkempt. I also didn't witness the usual ship staff cleaning and shining everything as I have in the past. I don't know if they aren't even trying since she's due for drydock or if they just couldn't keep up with the guest's trashing and nastiness. It wasn't necessarily a rowdy crowd but it was definitely different than I've encountered on previous trips, even on the Triumph. Most of the guests were rude, pushy and down right belligerent, with a "we own this ship" attitude. I've sailed from Galveston and NOLA mostly because it's within driving distance, and I'm glad there will be some different ship choices coming up. I live in Texas and I'm not a rowdy redneck, just really disappointed in the way the patrons acted on this last trip. It embarrassed me that some guests treated the staff and other guests the way they did as everyone seems to associate the ship crowd with the geographical location from which it sails. However, the ship staff are always courteous, friendly and helpful. I pretty easy to please on the ship, don't care what people wear or expect 5 star service, just hoping next month my fellow cruisers will act a little better than last time.

I will be on the Triumph again in September as well. I've sailed her several times, the latest being in May. I do think she is in dire need of some TLC, which she is getting in a few months. One thing that did not disappoint in May was the food, we ate often and plenty of it! The ship itself is pretty ragged, dirty, smelly and noticeably unkempt. I also didn't witness the usual ship staff cleaning and shining everything as I have in the past. I don't know if they aren't even trying since she's due for drydock or if they just couldn't keep up with the guest's trashing and nastiness. It wasn't necessarily a rowdy crowd but it was definitely different than I've encountered on previous trips, even on the Triumph. Most of the guests were rude, pushy and down right belligerent, with a "we own this ship" attitude. I've sailed from Galveston and NOLA mostly because it's within driving distance, and I'm glad there will be some different ship choices coming up. I live in Texas and I'm not a rowdy redneck, just really disappointed in the way the patrons acted on this last trip. It embarrassed me that some guests treated the staff and other guests the way they did as everyone seems to associate the ship crowd with the geographical location from which it sails. However, the ship staff are always courteous, friendly and helpful. I pretty easy to please on the ship, don't care what people wear or expect 5 star service, just hoping next month my fellow cruisers will act a little better than last time.

When in September? Maybe we are traveling together! I'm on September 24.

Thanks for your comments above - I think our rule for this trip will be "go with the flow". :)

Chankanaab is easy to get to on your own. Just get a taxi, for two of you it should be $10 from the pier. You can print out a coupon from their website, to save a bit on the tickets. If you like uncrowded and gorgeous, this is the place for you. Felipe Estrada is the best guide in the park. If you take his gardens tour (recommend that you do!) hand him your camera. He can take magical pictures. They might be the best ones on your vacation. Be sure to bring cash for a tip, too. Lockers and snorkel gear can be rented for $10 , or less, if you haggle. Bring your own snorkel, though. (Personal, you know)

In NOLA, it will probably still be hot. Even in September. If you haven't seen Marci Gras World, you should go at least once. I second the WWII museum. Well worth the visit. Fun cafe and vintage shop on the property. The Cafe Du Monde inside RiverWalk has the shortest lines and is right on the water front. Snoballs are our personal favorite. Key Lime Pie, Pralines, Nectar, and Birthday cake are our family favorites. Ask for creme on them. The best!

When in September? Maybe we are traveling together! I'm on September 24.

Thanks for your comments above - I think our rule for this trip will be "go with the flow". :)

I will be sailing on September 6.

Also, I second the suggestion of going to Chankanaab. We went in May and had a wonderful time.