Is there free wifi for platinum and elite on the Golden

judydoc

We were on the Regal in April and Platinum and Elite members got free wifi. Does that now apply on the Golden?

I'm on the Golden now and can confirm we do NOT get unlimited free minutes. Just the normal standard number of minutes.

There is free wifi for everyone on all princess ships.

Please explain the limitations of the free WiFi. What are you able/not able to do for free?

WiFi is free. Internet access is not free. WiFi allows intranet access which gets you Princess@Sea. Princess@Sea allows the "online" version of the Patter, messaging to others onboard (no audible or vibration alert so you have to check), order room service including breakfast orders, buy FCD, check the status of your folio (always good to watch for erroneous charges), etc. While I haven't tried in onboard you may well be able to use WiFi calling on your phone. I haven't had any desire to make phone calls while cruising so I haven't checked to see if it works. I don't know why it wouldn't work on the ship as I know WiFi calling works well on land.

Just off Golden as well and can confirm that the ship's wireless intranet has vastly improved: it now displays the time and place to report for your shore excursions on the home page, as well as being able to pull up the (maddeningly incomplete) daily schedule and review your stateroom folio. Never appeared to have dropped or timed out once; in fact if I wanted to use my phone in port within several blocks of the ship I had to log out manually from the still strong ship signal to pick up land based data service.

While apparently reflective of the technology updates that were still accomplished in the last drydock despite the presumed abandonment of Golden's Ocean Medallion rollout, the Platinum and up internet perk remains the same. And though unlimited internet plans are now available on Regal, Grand and Coral only Regal has given unlimited minutes as the loyalty benefit as a gesture towards the failure of its Medallion rollout.

That explains why we had it. We were able to message, facetime, grab our emails, check facebook for free 24/7. As well everything they offer on the ships Princess @ Sea.

Only as said on Regal but really nice. Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 2 weeks later...
It is a Princess perk and is not ship specific ie you get it regardless of which ship,you sail on.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The difference is that some ships have "unlimited" internet--sometimes free as a perk, while other ships have only the standard "minutes" plan where you get complimentary minutes based on the cruise length.